Author Topic: BAR to run at Bonneville?  (Read 44046 times)

Offline TheRipler

• http://www.landsharksti.com/
BAR to run at Bonneville?
« on: July 11, 2005, 10:57:46 AM »
I was watching the Silverstone F1 prerace, and they mentioned that the BAR/Honda team would be taking a car to Bonneville after the F1 season was over. Does anyone have more info/news to add?
Professor Weinburger sighed, knowing that without the alien mother to care for the last surviving egg of her once-proud species, the egg would surely die; still, he thought, greasing the fry-pan, it certainly was going to be an interesting breakfast.

StraightSix

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 02:02:30 PM »
There was this: link

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 03:05:49 PM »
If they are going to World Finals I hope they have done their homework on required firesuits, fire extinguishers, etc..

c ya, Sum

Offline aircap

BAR to run at Bonneville
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 03:13:01 PM »
Here's a story from Autoweek magazine.....
http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=102735
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
BAR at B'ville
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 03:38:38 PM »
If they are planning to be there for the Worlds I am really going to make an effort to be there, can the "rice burner" go 19,000 rpm for 5 miles????!!!! What a sound. I can tell you with all of the computer power and the wind tunnel info they have on their cars they know exactly how fast it will go. Maybe they just want to see if the motor will go 5 miles WFO!
Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline TheRipler

• http://www.landsharksti.com/
Re: BAR at B'ville
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2005, 04:13:36 PM »
Thanks for the links.

Quote from: Rex Schimmer
What a sound.

That's what I'm thinking. 8)
Professor Weinburger sighed, knowing that without the alien mother to care for the last surviving egg of her once-proud species, the egg would surely die; still, he thought, greasing the fry-pan, it certainly was going to be an interesting breakfast.

Offline ack

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005, 04:55:08 PM »
Here is my 2 cents:

If they actually show up I hope SCTA realizes the publicity value for the sport and welcomes them without a lot of hassle.  If you watch these cars hit the wall at 200 and then watch the driver walk away it is obvious that they are very safe vehicles as they are configured. Otherwise they probably will just run on private time.

ACK

Offline lvsalt

• http://www.dcwaterjet.com
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2005, 07:53:20 PM »
Any thoughts on Tires they might run?
Gary Cole     DCWATERJET Z

ron

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2005, 10:25:25 PM »
With 3.0L V10 engine and open wheels, BAR might request a classification as an F gas lakester-- F/GL-- which has a record of 229.9+
mph.

If the FI car truely can run 250+ mph as the AutoWeek article says, then
Lucky Strike might be in line for a new record.

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2005, 08:22:53 AM »
With a sponsor driven activity there is the possibility that the BAR team will just shoot for a GPS recorded top speed.  That would be a shame, as the run should be clocked through the mile or kilo either twice or in both directions (depending on your choice of methods).

After the Indy race debacle, it will be interesting to see what rubber Michelin offer for this activity.  I cannot see the team getting dispensation from their contracted supplier if they are scheduled to run with Michelin in 2006.  

Anyone know if Michelin have been assembling salt running data over the years?  

With the air density they will loose some of the 900 horses but it should still sing at 19k.  It seems Takumo will not get the drive, so the engine may survive with luck being with the others named.

I cannot get to the salt at all this year so I too would like to be told how it sounds.  There again maybe someone may get some engine souvenirs after the pass ........
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline SaltRat

Re: BAR to run at Bonneville?
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2005, 09:48:07 AM »
Got Traction?

Well, lots of questions and only one page in the book with the answers.

Hope I can make it.

Quote from: TheRipler
I was watching the Silverstone F1 prerace, and they mentioned that the BAR/Honda team would be taking a car to Bonneville after the F1 season was over. Does anyone have more info/news to add?
SaltRat
When (if?) this baby hits 88mph, you'll see some serious poo.

landracing

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2005, 10:55:08 AM »
yeah maybe they can get a record, lets see how they cope with tearing down engine on the salt. haha.
That would be fun.

I hope they don't get a GPS speed and call it good, that would hurt us.

Jon

Offline Dave Cox

• http://www.olddeadcars.com
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2005, 04:48:28 PM »
someone should warn them to remove the traction control... it's specifically forbidden by SCTA.....

Should we open that can of worms again?

Dave

John Beckett

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2005, 09:38:46 PM »
They don't run very well without the traction contol. The whole car is built around it.

JB

dwarner

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2005, 08:55:04 AM »
What am I missing here? Why is it assumed that everyone who uses the salt flats is running for a BNI record?