Author Topic: Who's ready  (Read 25534 times)

Offline Geo

Re: Who's ready
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2009, 12:19:15 PM »
I'm not going to make it this year, well small, slight, perhaps chance.

But, I was helping Bill Burtsman aka, DSR Bruts 778 D/STR with his thrash on his roadster.  It's supposed to be fired today.  We worked on it to get it ready to run the motor after the assembly from last year's tear down and changes and I pushed to make it ready to drive - if it ran.  So far so good.  :-D  Bill's workmanship is some of the best I have seen.  Give him a shout and look-see on the salt.

Geo

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2009, 03:41:04 PM »
The trailer's about half loaded, and now I'm going to take a break and head for the Honda shop to get a little generator so we can run the deep freeze while in motion.  Then back home, finish packing, and get some sleep before our 6AM (or so) departure.  Tomorrow portends to be a 650-mile day -- Skandia, Michigan to Jamestown, ND.  Go ahead and Mapquest it and tell me it's closer than 650, okay?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2009, 03:46:09 PM »
I dont need mapquest to tell you it is less than 650 miles it is. Trust me :-D

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline mkilger

« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2009, 05:27:26 PM »
Slim, have a safe trip, I will look you up. you cant start salt talks until Glen and I get  off of work LOL  :roll:

Offline Wester

« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2009, 06:51:25 PM »
The road TO the salt is a LOT shorter than the same road home.

McRat

« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2009, 10:57:50 PM »
Got the truck to the Westech Performance dyno today.

AND IT DIDN'T BLOW UP!!!   :cheers:

First, I tried to tune the truck and the ECM computer gave me the finger.  Sweet talked it for a while, and it relented.  Now the truck wouldn't start, I left the power on too long.  Charge battery.  Then we ran it up to 200mph to make sure the new driveshaft stayed in 2 pieces, not 3 or 4.  AOK.  Then the first "tuning" pull, it laid down 674rwhp with a really aggressive tune.   :cry:  We had 816rwhp last time, before the new engine. 

Found the fuel system was only delivering 1/2 the fuel pressure I programmed.  Replaced the injection pump controller.  Loaded in a very mild tune, then tried again, and pushed 733rwhp, and data looked good.  So I upped the fuel some more, and WHAM!  It woke right up.  Tires barked on the rollers, blew the vent hose apart, and scared the snot out of us.  That is one angry diesel.  :-o

It put out 915rwhp from a 4.8 second pull, making only 50psi boost with 75% fueling.  But the higher I turn it up, the shorter it's lifespan, so we will keep it there for now.  Tried to do sustained testing, but found the tires got hotter than normal due to tire slip, and didn't want to make a mess.  So hopefully next test will be at Bonneville.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 11:01:46 PM by McRat »

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2009, 11:41:00 PM »
McRat, your not giving us a true number.  That thing is a diesel, what kind of torque did it lay down.  :-D
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 11:50:54 PM by bvillercr »

McRat

« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2009, 11:51:12 PM »
McRat, your not giving us a true number.  That thing is a diesel, what kind if torque did it lay down.  :-D

I'm an odd-ball.  I deliberately "detorque" my trucks to avoid driveline damage.  Peak torque was only about 1300ftlb.  I could turn it up to about 1800ftlb, but I would return the trans to kit-form.

Offline Nexxussian

« Reply #83 on: July 31, 2009, 07:01:32 AM »
Fly out in T-4:31:09, not that I'm counting. :wink: (FWIW thats Hr:Min:Sec)

I have yet to try any of the salt 'treatments'.

I have some 'Salt Away' on order, hope to have it in time to shoot the truck and push car before we get to the salt.
Just happy to be here. :-D

Erik

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: July 31, 2009, 11:12:44 AM »
parts runs all day yesterday  had a great evening, made the last bracket Joey made the last bracket from relocating the eng 3.5" rearward and changed the tranny to a 400---trying to come off the truck better  hoping for a 75 + quarter speed---now if we can just get the ECU back in town!!!!!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline GH

« Reply #85 on: July 31, 2009, 03:15:08 PM »
Wester, the trip home is a whole lot longer when the car on the trailer is broken. Been there, done that, more than once.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: August 01, 2009, 12:47:07 AM »
GH---how well we all----well maybe not all"---know that feeling!!!!!!!!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Evil Tweety

• Read more on Evil Tweety
« Reply #87 on: August 01, 2009, 11:12:09 AM »
Well the rings didn't make it on Thursday (my sponsor did offer to chase them down at UPS), but we got the engine together most of the way yesterday.  Got it unloaded last night and started to pull the frame from the car.  (If you can call it a frame . . . more like a metal donut.)  Hopefully get it in the frame today and the car running tomorrow.

Gives me a few days to get her tuned.  Also want to get in a dry run with the water brake dyno before we pack everything up.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #88 on: August 01, 2009, 11:18:40 AM »
Fred, the odometer said it was "only" 610 miles.  So much for Mapquest.  The on-board GPS tells us it's 650 or so from Jamestown to Bozeman -- tonight's stop.  We'll see. 

The brand-new Honda generator in the trailer won't run for more than a minute or two.  What'd I do wrong?  I really did fill it with oil and gas before starting it up.  First minute:  fine.  From then on:  silent.  We'll look at it when we're in Wendover.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Evil Tweety

• Read more on Evil Tweety
« Reply #89 on: August 01, 2009, 11:32:36 AM »
Fred, the odometer said it was "only" 610 miles.  So much for Mapquest.  The on-board GPS tells us it's 650 or so from Jamestown to Bozeman -- tonight's stop.  We'll see. 

The brand-new Honda generator in the trailer won't run for more than a minute or two.  What'd I do wrong?  I really did fill it with oil and gas before starting it up.  First minute:  fine.  From then on:  silent.  We'll look at it when we're in Wendover.

Not to assume - you've got the air vent open on the gas filler cap?  If not they build up vacuum and the fuel won't flow.