Author Topic: An Invitation if you are going to B'ville  (Read 1920 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
An Invitation if you are going to B'ville
« on: July 08, 2005, 01:59:01 PM »
I just wanted to remind any of you guys and gals that are in the southeast, south or east that some of us will be meeting at my place in SE Utah and going to the salt together.  Even if we haven't met I hope you would think about hooking up with us for a day here and then the trip up to the salt together.  My home is in Blanding and Blanding is on 191 in SE Utah 70 miles south of Moab.  I know some of you have come through here in the past and even spent the night at one of the local Motels.  

If you are coming from the south or south east it is a very logical way to go.  Head west on I40 and then if you are towing I would go to Gallup and then north on what was 666 past Shiprock to 160 in Colo.  West on 160 13 miles, then north on Colo 41 which turns into Utah 262 over to Montezuma Creek.  Then ignor the "To Blanding" sign and continue west on 163 to 191.  Then north on 191 into Blanding.  I'm on the southend of town next to Clark's Market and across from The Super 8 Motel.  My business is the Purple Sage Trading Post and my house is a few feet to the north of it.  Even if you don't do the rest of the trip with us stop in and if for any reason you are having car problems call for help (435) 678-3620.  I have a trailer and my shop is open to you.  

If you don't mind a couple hills the scenic way from Gallup to here is go north out of Gallup 7 miles.  Go west on 264 to Window Rock.  Turn right at the second light on Indian Route 12.  Go 5 miles to the next light and turn right again on Route 12.  Follow it north until 191 merges with it at Round Rock and then follow 191 into Blanding.  The same distance (190 miles) as the other route, but one of the prettiest drives in the 4-corners area.  If it is night take the first route.

Hooley is going racing again with the Stude this year and he and his wife and John (WZJUNK) and his wife are going to come out and spend a few days in the area before the wives leave for home and the rest of us head for B'ville.  Along with them will be other car friends from the east that will come to Blanding and then onto the salt.  Most of these guys and gals are street rodders that go to the salt often.

The plan is for you to get into Blanding by Tuesday night (9th of Aug.). Wed I'll take any of you that are here out to an Anasazi Ruin (1000 years old) in the morning before it gets real hot. After that we can go out to Natural Bridges National Monument and eat lunch there or before we get there (take sack lunches). From there we can sight-see a little more and then all go to dinner together or do a BBQ at my house.

I've picked out a ruin that won't be a real challange to get to if you are having some health problems. We can drive any vehicle to within 1/4 mile of it and then it is just a walk down a dirt road to the site. We can also take my jeep and any other high ground clearace vehicles all the way to it and that would take care of anyone who has a problem walking.

The site is situated at the head of a really pretty canyon with unrestored towers around the top and then on various levels down into the canyon there are cliff dwellings.

You can enjoy the view from the top or climb down to the various levels of cliff dwellings.

There are also some nice petroglyphs there. All in all this is a nice site and I think you will enjoy it and it won't kill you to get to it. If you have never been to this area or just driven through on 191 you are in for a real surprise.  The area from town west to Natural Bridges and beyond is some of the prettiest southwest scenery you will see.

We have to get to B'ville Thursday night so we can set up the pits on Friday morning and get the car through inspection, so we will make the drive from Blanding up to the Salt on Thursday. We will have the day so I plan on stopping at Bo Huff's again this year. For those of you who have been there I'm sure you will enjoy a return visit as something new is usually always going on there. For those of you who haven't been to Bo's you will be in for a real treat.

Going to Bo's is stepping back into time and I've had a few people tell me that was the highlight of their trip to B'ville.  More Pictures of Bo's Car Show Here  

After spending a couple hours there we will continue up to B'ville getting in there late Thursday afternoon.

So if any of you are interested in joining us please let me know and make some plans to have a good time.

c ya, Sum