Author Topic: Long Course or Short Course??  (Read 3671 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Long Course or Short Course??
« on: July 04, 2005, 06:40:14 PM »
Last year Hooley made his licensing runs and moved to the long course on the fourth run and ran over 200.

This year we are running the same car, but moving from fuel to blown gas.  The record in the class is over 200.

The question is do we have to go back to the short course and show that the car can run over 175 or can we go right to the long course?

Before, I though someone said we would have to go back to the short course, since we have a class change, but I noticed in the 2005 rule book  on page 8 that it says:

Class changes will not necessitate re-qualification for the long course for attempts at records in exesss of 175 MPH

Thanks,

Sum

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 12:53:24 PM »
I believe this was put in the rulebook for those who "change classes at the meet" and the car is capable to meet the requirements.

I personally would not have a problem with you running the long course with your new combination. With that said; if I was next to go and you were using the run to "check out" the new combination a lolyged down the course at 150 and went the total 5 miles I'd be a little PO'd.  

Check outs should be done on the short course. I actually feel it's not a bad idea for a check out run over on the short course with a new combination. Good Luck.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

dwarner

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 01:01:21 PM »
As long as you have your 175 MPH sticker you can run the long course.

I agree with JD. New combinations should have a check out pass on the short course. Having been on the recieving end of the "if it won't run in the first two miles it won't fix itself in the next three miles" speech I would opt for the short course checkout pass.

Warner

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
long/short course
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 01:35:21 PM »
There will be a requirement if the driver (new) be checked out on the short course to qualify in liscense upgrade.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2005, 01:39:44 PM »
Quote from: dwarner
As long as you have your 175 MPH sticker you can run the long course.

I agree with JD. New combinations should have a check out pass on the short course. Having been on the recieving end of the "if it won't run in the first two miles it won't fix itself in the next three miles" speech I would opt for the short course checkout pass.

Warner

Thanks guys, we hear you on not slowing down the runs on the long course.  If we have any problems on the run we would be pulling out way before the 5 mile.

Can any of you give me an answer on my question about a support rod on the new skirt at the rear of the car (see my other post on 'skirts')

Thanks,  Sum

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
two courses
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005, 06:17:55 PM »
Sum
I don't see a problem with a support rod. It cuold help wit flutter of the skirt. Old aircraft thing we had to deal with during flite development tests on new aircraft. Make it strong enough and good attachment points.
See ya on the salt.
Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2005, 11:32:20 PM »
Sorry I'll need to correct you Dan. If you show up on the long course with a sticker you earned with a AA/Blown Fuel Coupe and replace the engine with an unblown "J"  where the record is obviously not over 175 you may be in for a rude awakening.

We had to take away a Motorcyle record from a competitor who had a 175 sticker which was properly earned and they changed engines. The record was open and he set it at at 167.  With the combination he had put in he had "not " gone 175 in the 1/4 on the short course which is how you earn the right to run the long course (with the exception of streamliners). The person understood what he had done wrong and accepted the consequenses.

I caught this a month later when making the Record Certifications. Not too much gets by the timers or me.  I use the timers sheets to do my work. I also get the total run sheet of every pass made by vehicle number so I see who goes over 175 in the 1/4 on the short course and the date and time they did it.

Good luck

PS: someones always watching
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

dwarner

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2005, 08:34:09 AM »
Damn it JD - your right again. I was so excited that I finally found something I could respond to that I typed before thinking.

DW