Author Topic: LSR Math  (Read 6579 times)

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
LSR Math
« on: June 24, 2009, 08:03:51 PM »
Does anyone have formulas or links for formulas for LSR?  I'm looking for something to tell me how much pony power I need to run a certain speed on a motorcycle at Bonnie.  I looked at Sum's site, but I'm to tarded to figure those out.  Keep in mind, I graduated from a Missouri high school!
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline Speed Limit 1000

Re: LSR Math
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 08:07:54 PM »
http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/board,31.0.html
Look on the home page of landracing.com :cheers:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 08:12:43 PM »
Like I said, Missouri school!   :roll:

Thanks!

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 08:19:26 PM »
What kind of bike? Some one will be able to give you some help :-D
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline willieworld

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 09:17:39 PM »
 here is an easy one    http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/aerohpcalc.html   willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 09:35:45 PM »
Thanks!  I knew you had a good one!

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 10:30:29 PM »
Back to the subject, which was LSR math.

Start with this formula:  F=MA

And simply go from there!     
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline willieworld

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 11:00:11 PM »
mr newton would be proud--but you see calkins and i are both from missouri  --i can count to 11-- with my shoes off to 21   LOL                                               willie buchta
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 11:03:00 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 11:10:02 PM »
No, no, no!

Born and raised in Iowa.  I only lived in Missouri for about five years.  But you see, I left Iowa with a 7th grade Iowa education, and I graduated from Missouri with a 7th grade Iowa education!

Offline willieworld

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 11:23:52 PM »
well i guess thats what i get for trying to help                                  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 11:55:11 PM »
Wllie, as always, a GREAT  response.

Not sure about this Calkins wannabe/maybebe/couldbe.

Sometimes, dump the MATH, just get out there and DO IT!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 12:05:03 AM by interested bystander »
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 12:09:23 AM »
Someday.

The sooner, the better!

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2009, 01:29:33 AM »
Keep in mind, I graduated from a Missouri high school!

That is more education than some of us have.

:-D

~JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline willieworld

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2009, 01:40:04 AM »
well you know jonny it isnt like it used to be ---i remember we always rode the bus to school --i will always remember my first bus ride --setting up by the driver all dressed up wearing that big yellow helmet with the green X on both sides ---hey maybe thats why i dont like green  --nah yellow is one of my favorite colors  ---got to go take my meds.............................willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

McRat

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2009, 02:34:28 AM »
Here's a thought, for finding top speed without getting arrested, and with just a pencil and bathroom scale:

It's basically going to boil down to area, CD, and HP.  Few of us have access to windtunnels, and some don't even have access to dyno's.

To get your HP, trap speeds in the quarter mile and weight have always proven to be reliable for me.  They correspond very well to dyno numbers until you get quicker than 10.0, where aerodynamics kick in pretty hard.  The less HP you have, the more accurate it is.  ET's don't tell as much at trap speeds.  You will need an accurate weight, and use any of the online drag calculators.

So mark off a 1/4mi.  Start with a throttle stop of 1/4 turn.  The faster the bike is, the less throttle you will set the stop at.  You will only be using a fraction of your HP.  Write down the your trap speed, plug it into the drag calculator to get your HP at 1/4 throttle.  You aren't really trying to measure your performance, you are getting a number to use for the next step.  Yeah, if you have access to a dyno, dyno it at 1/4 throttle.

Take the bike onto a flat road, tuck in, and see how fast it will go with the throttle stop.  Using your HP number and a calculator like Willie posted, use a guess at your frontal area, and adjust the CD number until the HP matches your 1/4 throttle road speed.  Now you have a good foundation of your total wind resistance. 

You could do this without going past 75 mph if you set the throttle stop low enough, and it will give you a total drag number for your specific bike you could use for max speed calculations.

You could get the max HP by either 1/4 mi traps, or dyno, without the stop, then use the LSR calculator with your new area and CD.  You will have to reduce HP for high DA if running at Bonneville or El Mirage.

You can use this method for also figuring out if aero changes work, if you don't change the engine output and keep the throttle stop around.

And nope, I have no idea how accurate it would be.