Author Topic: TV's Jesse James fraudulently claims besting BMW's FIA ratified world record  (Read 44943 times)

Offline Stan Back

I'm really starting to like my idea on another thread -- Get Jesse to run Mike Charlton's jet bike.  Mike is having problems finding a venue that will take him, and he can afford from what I've read before.  And now Jesse's got the connections and the bucks to pull it off for him.  He hires the timing, the surveyors, has the insurance (I guess) and knows how to set records, if only in his own mind.  It would probably help if Mike joined LSR, but they got the vanilla gorilla so Mike would be a big step up for them (although he seems to be way too straight-forward).  I know Mike would rather do it himself, but at least this way it could get done.  Thoughts?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
landspeed louise,

i enjoy your columns in the 'goodguys gazzette'.

more posts in this forum might be a nice addition.

franey
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
louise has alot to offer as far as land speed and land speed history goes..... maybe she only writes for the monthly mags cuz it takes her a month to write a story.... come on louise you can start posting here... we like ya...
kent

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
I'm really starting to like my idea on another thread -- Get Jesse to run Mike Charlton's jet bike.  Mike is having problems finding a venue that will take him, and he can afford from what I've read before.  And now Jesse's got the connections and the bucks to pull it off for him.  He hires the timing, the surveyors, has the insurance (I guess) and knows how to set records, if only in his own mind.  It would probably help if Mike joined LSR, but they got the vanilla gorilla so Mike would be a big step up for them (although he seems to be way too straight-forward).  I know Mike would rather do it himself, but at least this way it could get done.  Thoughts?

I would be worried he might put dent in the lake
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline jl222

Moved to clubs section :-D

JL222
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 10:55:20 PM by jl222 »

velocity

Update

Today, in response to my inquiries and actions, Quantum Technologies, the supplier of fuel delivery parts used in the James car during the El Mirage runs, removed form its corporate website the fake record claim press release, directed PR Newswire to remove the original press release from its server and answered to full satisfaction all ethics questions raised by the SEC. I commend the company for its quick, responsible corrective action when it realized it was disseminating false information.

I am still chasing the story around the globe and asking for further removals, corrections and retractions. More than three dozen have been contacted and all but one has responded by removing the article altogether, or correcting/updating the facts of the false record claim.

This cost Quantum in the neighborhood of $15,000 in attorney fees and it is regrettable. My financial loss will certainly exceed that amount for all the hours I expended, and will continue to put in, trying to “unring the bell.”  A trivial pursuit? To some it may appear so, but not to me. The bedrock foundation of land speed racing is the record, the prize earned through a sacrosanct act of honest effort seeking honest reward. Jesse James acted without honor and respect.

Dozens and dozens of land speed racers - national, international and world record holders included -- have contacted me with words of appreciation. It inspires me onward to protect their good name and deeds.

As for Mr. James running with the big dogs based on the 132-foot recorded speed. Please. Every one of you on this forum who have run at a sanctioned event know all too well your vehicle can storm into the mile with great promise only to see the peak power curve evaporate like water on cotton candy. When Mr. James can hold speed for a mile of more then we'll have something to cheer him about. Until then, its little more than a drag racing trap to me, a good indicator of potential but a long way from claiming fraternity with record holders.

Let's hope the old Dees/Milodon Engineering/Davis B Streamliner gets a chance to prove its worth in real time, in a sanctioned event and not force-fed through some fancy made-for-TV editing job. I believe James has the potential, but I seriously doubt he gives a damn what any of us think, especially me. Further, it is my opinion that he is quite happy puffing himself up with fake speed record claims.

I end with this direct quote from the James Family Trust:

The celebrity Jesse James has built a record for himself of snubbing authorities, in his vainglorious effort to personify himself as some imaginary kind of outlaw. Spike TV’s promotion for “Jesse James is a Dead Man” announces that Jesse James is a direct descendant of the outlaw Jesse James. This in fact is a falsehood and misrepresentation. Mr. James has been invited to prove his claim to the James family, to which he professes to belong. He never has done so. Instead, he continues to falsely misrepresent himself. Now Mr. James claims to have broken a land speed record. Once more, Jesse James rebukes authentication by reputable authorities to support his claim. The only record Mr. James can produce is a record of misrepresentation and falsehood, for which he is becoming well noted.

So now it seems we have a fake record holder and a fake outlaw.

Blue

It seems all of this controversy could have been avoided with a simple request to the SCTA for a sanction and a bloody backup run.  Jesse, next time run under the sanctioned rules.

No matter how far it went, it still can't claim a red hat. :mrgreen:  For more than the Fossett LSR cost, it should at least do that.

slopoke

« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 07:13:52 AM by slopoke »

Offline Stan Back

Slopoke --

I don't see where the SCTA has "blessed" the claim.  I see just the opposite inRoy Creel's statements.  Please help me understand your statement.

Thanx,
Stan Back
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

McRat

The press release indicated his "record" was clocked by the SCTA.  Or the "Dicks" as he called them when Roy issued the statement about no SCTA clocking.

Offline jl222

The press release indicated his "record" was clocked by the SCTA.  Or the "Dicks" as he called them when Roy issued the statement about no SCTA clocking.

And were still waiting on ''the rest of the story'' :-)

JL222

slopoke

« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 07:14:08 AM by slopoke »

Offline Stan Back

I've read all of it and more -- some provided by the people involved.  I don't see how you can hold SCTA at fault here -- unless I'm misunderstanding you.

Stan Back

Offline DiveEZ

• Land Speed Photos.com
First off, when has this group ever believed what a writer, TV show, or movie has ever gotten the facts straight (IE Bonneville Speed Capital of the world) so how do we know that anything written thus far is accurate or not in excerpt.

Here's what I know for fact! not from a webmaster, producer or a writer.

The SCTA had nothing to do with the timing or set up of the course, The track was laid out in similar fashion as the El Mirage dry lake races are. The timing equipment used was FIA/FIM certified timing equipment. FIA or SCTA does not certify Hydrogen fuel except in production passenger cars only.

Question? So how could there be any record in the first place for Hydrogen fuel engines.

Additional
I don't hear anyone complaining that Bill Elliot now claims a record in a E85 Mustang.

Just my 2 cents worth to this topic
Zane
50's Hybrid, Burns Gasoline and rubber.

www.LandSpeedPhotos.com

velocity

It is critical to understand the Mr. James NEVER hired the SCTA "timers" because there are none to hire. Timing duties at SCTA sanctioned events are performed Chronologic Timing [http://www.chronologictiming.com/] owned by James and Alan Rice. Mr. James engaged their services to conduct the timing duties. The brothers are independent businessmen who also count the SCTA and various other independent racers as clients. They are a trusted resource for all land speed racers, but they will tell you themselves that they are not in the business of sanctioning official speed records.

On another point, but equally important, some people seem to think my comments and actions are personal. They are dead wrong. I have no personal grudge, or affection for Mr. James, his TV program, fabrication skills or his lifestyle. The only point of contention is that he lied about setting a world record and then shouted the falsehood to the world. I would like nothing better than to conclude this entire affair with James getting his butt to the starting line at sanctioned SCTA/BNI, USFRA, or FIA event, make the runs required at the speeds required and pass the required technical inspections to earn a record that he and his team can be proud of -- not this goofy sham surrounded by vulgar name calling.

This sport deserves better.