Author Topic: TV's Jesse James fraudulently claims besting BMW's FIA ratified world record  (Read 44942 times)

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
If I remember my school days physics rightly Hydrogen is the most common gas in the universe!
Why is Alcohol more popular/fun and served in most bars around the world jeez you can even make it yourself with almost anything.Hmm thats maybe why my eyesight is failing.
If Hydrogen gas is so common where and why have they hidden it.

On the matter of JJ whether or not the record is legitimate if it gets people interested in the sport as the Worlds Fastest Indian did with me, it can be nothing other than a good thing.

Alcohol is the answer......What was the question.

Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
hmmmmmmmmm
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2009, 04:57:21 PM »
From Hemmings Motor news

The outlaw Jesse James stirs up controversy in land-speed racing
So did Jesse James set a record or not?

That’s the question buzzing around the landspeed racing community this week after the motorcycle builder and television star drove a hydrogen-powered streamliner to 199.7 MPH at El Mirage on June 16.

Of course, the press release issued by Spike — the network airing James’s show, for which the run was filmed — claims that he did break the record for hydrogen-powered, piston-engined, wheel-driven vehicles, topping an earlier speed of 184 MPH set by BMW.

And nobody seems to doubt that James did indeed reach that speed in the 1960s-era Dees Milodon Engineering – Davis B 777 streamliner, which James (under the guidance of land-speed racer Mike Cook) bought, lengthened, updated and fitted with a twin-turbo 780hp 572-cu.in. big-block Chevrolet V-8, converted to suck down 5,000 PSI of hydrogen.

But the controversy, spearheaded by landspeed racing historian Louise Noeth, centers on which sanctioning body supervised the run and how exactly the run could be stamped with a record. Noeth has stated that because no sanctioning body oversaw the run, it does not qualify for a record. The Southern California Timing Association, the sanctioning body that typically runs events at El Mirage, has distanced themselves from the run and stated that James never set any record.

Mike Cook, who not only helped James build the streamliner, but also handled course layout and timing for the run through his company, Cook’s Land Speed Events, said that, indeed, the run was not part of a sanctioned event. “We didn’t feel there was any reason for sanctioning this event,” Cook said. “Because there is no class to sanction the car in.” While the BMW’s record was FIA sanctioned, Cook said FIA provides no class for non-production-based vehicles such as James’s. However, Cook said he did use FIA-certified timing equipment and set up the course for James’s run exactly as courses are set up for typical racing at El Mirage.

“Jesse only wanted to go 200 MPH on hydrogen,” Cook said. “And he is going to try again to meet that goal.”
- By Daniel Strohl

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
I'd say that once again we're caught in a battle of terminology.  JJ exceeded the world record speed (assuming that the timing equipment is correct, and I have absolutely no reason to doubt it with Mike Cook and his gang involved).  So he did break the record speed.

Did he set a record?  Well, no -- since the record-setting machinery requires very precise conditions be met -- such as the return run, the length of the timed stretch, and on and on.  Did he go faster than the standing world record?  Yes, he did.

So I'm saying that if his publicity had stated that he exceeded the world record speed -- we wouldn't be having this discussion (well, maybe not).  But by claiming to have "set" a record -- there's the problem.

Will he/can he run under FIA sanctioning to get a real, honest-to-goodness record that we'll all be able to accept?  Stay tuned.  But I betcha we'll have to stay tuned for a looooooong time.  It's on to other things, I figure.

PS  Thanks, for checking in here, Louise.  It's been a while since we've heard from you.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Gwillard

"If Hydrogen gas is so common where and why have they hidden it."

Most of it is in stars being converted to heavier elements. Free hydrogen is extremely rare on earth. It seems to have an affinity for oxygen.

"Alcohol is the answer......What was the question."

The question was, "What's for dinner?"
Will weld for beer :cheers:

Blue

There's nothing "green" about nuclear power.  Having worked on nuclear programs of several types in my career, I got to know a little bit about it.  While the high-level waste from the fuel rods gets all the attention, the real impact is the hundreds of thousands of tons of low-level activated steel and concrete that get to sit for a mere century or two on what was some valuable real estate.

As far as JJ goes, maybe instead of slamming people who don't understand the history and sanctioning, we could advise them before hand so that they could use the word "un-sanctioned".  Or better yet, get them to go through the hassle of a sanctioned record and settle the issue.  Why didn't JJ's adviser advise him to at least do the former?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 07:13:49 PM by Blue »

McRat

I agree with SSS.  Seems it's all about linguistics (the science of pasta).

Does "broke the record" = "set the record"?

Broke indicates making something non-functional, so you'd think it would point towards setting a new record.  But some say breaking a record is just exceeding it, but not necessary setting it, ie -  "I broke the record, but DNF'd the backup run, so no hardware for me!"

Either way, it sure sounded mean, no matter who's dictionary is in force.  :cheers:

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Jessie knew he would get no more then a certificate of speed that they provided. He also knew that it would not be an official record. Several years ago SCTA provided a special course of a jet car at El Mirage for some Englishman to run and become the fastest Brit. He did not get any kind of record only a certificate of the speed he ran. I was the timer at that time and it was a hassel to go through the prep etc. for two runs. I think at that time SCTA said no more special  car deals. It cost them a lot of money to make it happen. Equipment, workers emergency equipment, permits etc., etc. The driver in the rent a jet complained all day about the heat, dust and was a little scared after the runs. It takes as much effort to run one car as it does a meet.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Question and information.
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2009, 02:46:33 AM »
I was thinking about the JJ drama and was wondering what the run up distance was before the lights?  I have run 240 mph at El Mirage last year unfaired on a good course and this year ran 223  on the same bike unfaired on a crappy course.

I was wondering what was the actual run up distance was before the racer was at the clocks..?

Let's agree that the driver went faster than the FIA "World" record however the racer only went one way, what is the fastest the FIA record holder went one way?

J

Offline Malcolm UK

I was told the other day that the press will print whatever they think makes a good headline or story regardless of what a LSR team may tell them.  I am so glad that it is an American argument.

Glen - regarding the Englishman I would be interested in further details of this 'rent a jet' activity to "become the fastest Brit".  If it was after 1983 a speed of over 623 mph would have been needed to be the absolute fastest.  Whose jet car?  (Send me a personal mail please.)

John- the FIA only publish the average speeds for two way runs.  So, to find out the highest speed the Hydrogen BMW went would need the timesheets from the officials for the attempt or information from BMW.  No peak speeds would have been recorded officially, but a manufacturer would have some instrumentation to tell them.

I know its not fair, but the International (FIA) standing start mile average speed (two runs in 60 minutes) of a 250cc Kart set here in the UK was better than the World record average speed set by the hydrogen BMW! (but as it was not by over 1% the record remains with BMW).

Malcolm UK.
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline joea

Malcom, was this a hydrogen powered kart.....

also i noticed in Louise' post that it mentions

"Society of Land Speed Racing Historians"...........

does anyone know when this society was founded, by whom, and how many members...?...

im doing a research project..

Joe :)

Offline Gwillard

Malcom, was this a hydrogen powered kart.....

does anyone know when this society was founded, by whom, and how many members...?...

www.landspeedracing.com/
Will weld for beer :cheers:

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator

Joe, do a google search. Jim Miller and many others have been working on this project for around 5 years? Lots of video, pictures, & text.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline DallasV

I found the official press release (see below). I find it odd that they state "Jessie's time was documented by the Southern California Timing Association". But it must be true it's on the internet. Anyway I don't understand why some people are so wound up about this, It's a television show and it effects me not at all. The only people I can figure should have their panties in a wad are the BMW folks. 

Jesse James Shatters a Land Speed Record for a Hydrogen Powered Vehicle
Jesse James Successfully Reaches 199.7mph While Filming His Hit Show "Jesse James Is A Dead Man" on Spike TV

EL MIRAGE DRY LAKE BED, Calif., June 17 /PRNewswire/ -- Jesse James successfully shattered the land speed record for a hydrogen powered vehicle yesterday in the Mojave Desert. James attempted the challenge while filming his hit television show "Jesse James Is A Dead Man" which premiered May 30, 2009. The show was filmed yesterday and will air as the season one finale of "Jesse James Is A Dead Man" premiering on Sunday, August 9 (10:00 PM, ET/PT) on Spike TV.

Jesse's time was documented by the Southern California Timing Association and beat the previous record holder, the BMW H2R, which previously held the land-speed record for an H2 car of 185mph in Germany. The vehicle used by Jesse was an emission free vehicle with a "Breathable Exhaust."

Jesse went to El Mirage Dry Lake Bed with an extreme purpose: to break the land speed record of 185 MPH for a hydrogen-fueled vehicle. It's a record that has long been on his mind and it has not been an easy road getting here. Jesse has consulted the help of legendary land speed racer Mike Cook. Mike gave Jesse invaluable advice on the design of the car. He also helped Jesse pick up the nuance of driving the car and was with him in the testing phase. Engine wizard Kurt Urban came from Detroit and auto row to help him develop a superior hydrogen engine: an internal combustion throwback to the days of overpowering American steel. Together they created an emission free vehicle that will dispel any notions of the power of alternative fuels. Jesse prepared for a worst case scenario situation by escaping from a burning fuselage, narrowly avoiding injury and testing his mettle to the limit.

"Jesse James Is A Dead Man" is being produced for Spike TV by executive producers Jesse James and Hildie Katibah through his production company, Payupsucker Productions, in conjunction with executive producers John Brenkus and Mickey Stern of BASE Productions ("Sport Science," "Crime 360"). Kevin Lee also serves as executive producer. Sharon Levy and Tim Duffy are executives in charge of production for Spike TV.

Jesse James is a custom bike and car builder, producer, publisher, television host and restaurateur. In 2000, James started his TV career with Discovery Channel's "Motorcycle Mania," and in 2002 produced and starred in the international television hit, "Monster Garage." Before his TV gigs, James started West Coast Choppers by doing what he loved, building motorcycles in his mom's garage. As an expert welder, James produces only 12-14 bikes a year, making a very long wait list for his coveted custom machines.

More recently, James established his own production company, Payupsucker Productions, and in 2004, he became publisher of Garage Magazine and launched Payupsucker Publications. In 2006 he opened an eco-friendly burger joint, Cisco Burger, in Long Beach, CA.

SOURCE Spike TV[/color][/b]
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline Freud

Open this link and read about Gas Up 2009.

The historians have come out of this annual induction group.

http://www.oilstick.com/09gasupinfo/invitation.htm

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Freud

I'm away from home and don't have access to my files but part of the people that are in the historian group are:
Bret Kepner
Rcihard Parks
Jim Miller
John Thawley
Greg Sharp
J.D.Tone
Eric Rickman
Jack Underwood
Glenn Freudenberger
Mark Brazeau for 2009
Add Pork Pie to the list.

A few years of memories in that group.