Author Topic: TV's Jesse James fraudulently claims besting BMW's FIA ratified world record  (Read 44941 times)

Offline Speed Limit 1000

SwampRat33. Don?
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
I've been watching this story unfold on several sites since the day it hit. No question there's no record.
What I have yet to see mentioned, is how far over the line Mike Cook went in selling his services to JJ and the production company. It looks to me that Cook went way past the line of his companies ability to certify any potential "record" that JJ might set on that day.
I'd love to have been the fly on the wall when JJ realized what Cook had sold him, in the way of certification, was just a bunch of hot air and snake oil.
Hat's off to Roy Creel for taking the high road and keeping the SCTA pure on this deal.

Watched the show last night. I wouldn't lay blame on Mike Cook. I heard him say "record" two or three times but never said "world record".It's all in editing,he could have been relating it to a personal record. Also it looked like DW handed him an yellow B license card not a record certificate.
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline Stan Back

He was probably p*issed cause his GPS said he'd get an A.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stan Back

By the way Thundersalt -- you must of had the lap record on the long course -- at least for the first couple days.  Every time I looked up you were going by.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline thundersalt

I was on mission to achieve 10 consecutive passes over 200 mph in a row between last year and this year. I did and Celia also got her C and B licence.
916 REMR
El Mirage 200 MPH Club

Offline Stan Back

Keep running like that and they may try you out on the circle course next year -- look out Ab!

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
i don't think Cook sold him anything except his services...... i believe it is all the publicist and TV production company blowing it up and then caught by those in the know.....  i think JJ is is caught in the TV sensationalism "ride"..... the reality is were the only people who care.!.....
Kent

Offline roadster589

• GOD SPEED GARY
Well said Kent oh by the way we ran 210 with dads car so hahahahahahaha
Mike cook jr

Offline thundersalt

As many here have probably seen this morning on the FR generated emails, I see JJ is taking his car to the salt. I wonder which venue. I would guess the private meet.
916 REMR
El Mirage 200 MPH Club

Offline jl222

As many here have probably seen this morning on the FR generated emails, I see JJ is taking his car to the salt. I wonder which venue. I would guess the private meet.

I hope he goes faster than ever [he should on a longer course] and sets an official record faster than BMW.

JL222

Offline NathanStewart

J.J. - N.I.M.S.C.T.A. 

No way, no how, no thanks.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
Re: TV's Jesse James fraudulently claims besting BMW's FIA ratified world record
« Reply #131 on: September 06, 2009, 10:01:33 PM »
WOW what a thread……

I’m new to LSR and, if and, when I make my first run I’ll be considered a “ROOKIE”.

I’ve been involved in LSR for a little over sixty days. I’ve joined a club, started building my vehicle and have had to ask many questions about vehicle and procedure rules. Even after asking numerous questions I’m still confused about what I read in the rule book verses some of the answers I see in the forum.

My point is this…Seems to me that Jesse and his production team didn’t know the “rules” of the game, after all Jesse was a Rookie when he made this run. I know that ignorance is no excuse but whether or not you agree with what was said after the run Jesse did get in the car and run very fast with very little or no LSR experience.

There are strong emotions involved in LSR (life and death situations) and no one can fault people for thinking that claiming an undeserved record is right up there with the worst of moral crimes.  That being said a Rookie and his team made a mistake and became defensive when they were challenged so harshly for something they thought was a great accomplishment.

This sport seems to be made up of a wide range of personalities, which is good, and a bunch of very smart and talented individuals which is also good. So why was the first response to the Jesse James announced record a knife to the heart instead of an offer of help to provide information and assistance to him and his team. My thought is that had Jesse not been a TV personality but a regular rookie from Podunk Idaho the initial reaction would have been quite different……

Time will tell whether or not Jesse will try to make another record attempt. If he does and if he actually breaks the record what will be said, not much I bet…..

Buzz
"Marred by indecision; vision is blurred, confidence deteriorates and progress stagnates."

"It's not about what you did.....It's about what you do!"

"Regret is part of the aging process and should never be confused with failure."

Offline jimmy six

Re: TV's Jesse James fraudulently claims besting BMW's FIA ratified world record
« Reply #132 on: September 08, 2009, 04:43:11 PM »
JJ has made a few passes at Vanenburg AF Base a few years back under the watchfull eye of SCTA members. Eventho this also was not a sanctioned event of any kind it is still seat time. JJ's runs were not that fast at the begining and could easily be viewed as "rookie" runs.

I believe experience is used to determine allowable speeds. There are many who run at non-SCTA sanctioned events or private timed events which are given higher SCTA licenses when they do run under SCTA sanctioning. I don't remeber Don Gartlits starting at 125 in the streamliner he drove in the 80's. Remember it's a TV show and LSR is not a very good "watch" They need to make it interesting and did.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline joea

« Reply #133 on: September 08, 2009, 05:26:24 PM »
....JJ as Jimmy said....is NOT new to this.......in that he
spent a week with SCTA folks......some of the best in the
business........for his tv show.....monster garage...building a
belly tank lakester for the show and top speed runs....

he wanted to get in the "bonn 200 mph club".......it was explained
at the time about what that entails......and so he wanted
to break 200 mph period.......and came up short.......

as he did here......

hopefully he has the desire and fortitude to pursue the work
needed to accomplish this goal.......

some folks arent used to not getting their way......some whine
some do something about it.........

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #134 on: September 08, 2009, 07:30:01 PM »
Thanks for the additional info on this topic. 

I don't know Jesse personally nor have I ever met him. But like you said Joea, hopefully he has the desire and fortitude to pursue the work needed to accomplish this goal.......

I'd like to see him do it!

Buzz
"Marred by indecision; vision is blurred, confidence deteriorates and progress stagnates."

"It's not about what you did.....It's about what you do!"

"Regret is part of the aging process and should never be confused with failure."