Author Topic: TV's Jesse James fraudulently claims besting BMW's FIA ratified world record  (Read 44947 times)

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
Amen!      Crow
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!

velocity

NOTE TO JESSE and his PR people:
Below, in red, is how Brent Hajek and Danny Thompson handled the PR for their failed record attempt on the salt last year. It highlights the team's great accomplishment and potential yet makes very clear no record was set. The LSR community can easily get behind this group and cheer them on for another record attempt. We could have done the same for you. 

E85 Powered FR500C Mustang Attempts 250 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats Speedway

Brent Hajek and a crew of thrill seekers stormed the Bonneville Salt Flats Speedway to break a land speed record. Brent, Danny Thompson and crew attempted the record in a 2008 E85 powered FR500C Ford Mustang. The FR500C was equipped with a 5.4L Ford GT block, heads and various performance parts from Ford Racing.

Brent was the mastermind and financier of the project. Ford Motor Company supported the effort with parts, test facilities and engineering.

The Ford Mustang was able to hit a top speed of 252.78 MPH once, but was unable to repeat that speed during this run. The crew is scheduled to return to the salt later this year!

I could find no record for Elliot claiming to break a LSR record, except a NASCAR record attempt at Talladega that ended with a blown tire and wall kissing. Having spoken to him at length, Brent Hajek understands and respects the tenets of LSR record breaking. I am ignorant about stock records and will therefore never comment about them in detail.

McRat

There is also the avenue of "informal" records.  For our diesel racing, we claim to have the "fastest production diesel truck".  There is no sanction by any organization for that class.  We hit a higher clocked speed than the Dodge Cummins production truck that was run under ECTA clocking for an ECTA AA/DT record, but I would never say I broke their record.  Different track, different rules.  Their record stands unless I pack up the kids and head to Maxton.  When the Dodge guys run faster than me, I will no longer claim the informal title.  In a similiar light, Bill Heath claims to have the "fastest 6.5 GM diesel truck" which again, there is no formal record for, and such records are just for fun, and mark the racer's accomplishments.  Due to the limitations of the 6.5 engine design, it would be difficult compete in a class that is an engine-swap class.  But for the thousands of 6.5 owners out there, 155mph is a stunning top speed for one of their trucks, and is a serious accomplishment.

Personally, that is the path I'd take if I were running a car that did not have a class.  "Jesse James and his team ran their hydrogen piston engine car to a recorded top speed 199.xxx mph at El Mirage Dry Lake making it the fastest piston engine car running hydrogen as a fuel that we know of."

slopoke

« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 07:14:40 AM by slopoke »

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
McRat:

You've used the magic phrase:  "...that we know of..."  A bit of humility accompanied by an open challenge to those who might want to surpass your speed -- or tell you that you're not the fastest. 

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline interested bystander

Just curious.

Reading Autoweek's story on the Jesse James run, (which was a fairly unopinionated report of the event) the speed was given as 199.712 mph.

If indeed the timing trap was 132 feet how many digits behind the decimal point does the Rice equipment record in parts of minutes?

'Cause if it's only four, there's no such speed , and if it's five they rounded out the speed to the next highest digit.

Anybody know?
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Seven dec. points. SCTA/BNI uses 3 dec. points. We never round up.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Thanx Glen -my cheep calculater don't go that high.

considering an eye blink is about two - tenths (.02), three didgits oughta be enough.

Offline Freud

bystander..........0.02 is 2/100

But I like your math for figuring Income Tax.

FREUD
Since '63

Yeah, . . .ZERO POINT TWO like I . . .woops.

(in a whisper -thanks, Freud)

Offline Steve Cole

It used to be that a record was a record.

If you did not break it by the rules you did not have it nor would you say that you did. You either have the record or you do not.

There is no "informal"  "almost" "best GPS Speed" blab blab blab about it!

Sure miss those days.

Super Kaz

jj cant set a scta record or join the dirty 2  (200 mph club ) unless he is a member of one of the 12 clubs ---guest can not set a record at el mirage                                       willie buchta

Willie,

I believe he is a member of a club...not mine however..

Dang you guy's are Harshe :-P!
I hate to see happens when I go FAST :wink:?
265 WF! The KID'S GOT YOU BEAT :cheers:!!!

Offline Stan Back

"I hate to see happens when I go FAST ?"

Better hurry up -- I'm getting along in years.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Super Kaz

"I hate to see happens when I go FAST ?"

Better hurry up -- I'm getting along in years.

Stan

you and me BOTH :cheers:!

I should of bought a busa :wink:!

Offline SwampRat33

• New folks
I've been watching this story unfold on several sites since the day it hit. No question there's no record.
What I have yet to see mentioned, is how far over the line Mike Cook went in selling his services to JJ and the production company. It looks to me that Cook went way past the line of his companies ability to certify any potential "record" that JJ might set on that day.
I'd love to have been the fly on the wall when JJ realized what Cook had sold him, in the way of certification, was just a bunch of hot air and snake oil.
Hat's off to Roy Creel for taking the high road and keeping the SCTA pure on this deal.