Author Topic: looking for a 10 in tire  (Read 16794 times)

Offline Larry C

• Global Moderator
  • Real sidecars have passengers
Re: o
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2009, 10:11:00 PM »
Hey! , now you are gettin personel!! Rider: the guy with the throttle, Passanger: the other half of the team that is responsible for keeping the outfit on the ground and under control. Anyone who has ridden a sidecar in roadracing, speedway, grasstrack, trials, ice, etc. has huge respect for the passanger and what they contribute to the machine on the track and the results at the end of the day. To refer to a passanger by any other name is in my opinion demeaning and derogatory, and simply shows a lack of respect for the team work involved in the grand sport of motorcycle sidecar racing.

Offline Freud

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2009, 10:13:38 PM »
bak189, u can call my wife anything that u desire. Our skin is thick enough to let that crap roll off. I've never seen you race, let alone your wife.  I had no idea that you put her in that position.

Just lighten up. All I did was respond to the word "monkey" from your own post. It seemed to me that a chimp was farther up the evolutionary tree than a monkey.

My phone number is 425-337-4558 and if you are still having a problem with this, just call me.

FREUD
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 10:20:06 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline jl222

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2009, 10:31:45 PM »
bak189, u can call my wife anything that u desire. Our skin is thick enough to let that crap roll off. I've never seen you race, let alone your wife.  I had no idea that you put her in that position.

Just lighten up. All I did was respond to the word "monkey" from your own post. It seemed to me that a chimp was farther up the evolutionary tree than a monkey.

My phone number is 425-337-4558 and if you are still having a problem with this, just call me.

FREUD

Any monkey I ever knew '' sidecar rider'' never objected to being called a monkey. But then this is the U.S.A. NEVER heard them called anything else.

JL222

Offline joea

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2009, 11:59:16 PM »
......my bad.........i had the misconception that sidecar riders were kinda
like motorcycle riders..........

i may have to try a kinder...gentler approach.....

its a different time in america....

speaking of modern times...

i received a txt ..."nrlbc"....

can someone help me.......no record left behind club...?

oh crap....im getting another one...from the mneumonic czar......

ps.......Larry....hope to buy ya a beer during rally......bak has more important
people to hang with and cant make it.....

Offline 754

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2009, 01:26:40 AM »
I also have tried a homebuilt sidecar, actually platform. on a hopped up CB 750.

We ran it a bit on a dirt track oval. I was on the platform, and took great delight in self-describing myself as "the monkey"  Bad part is, I am uh rather portly, and not really as agile as the task demands.. lucky we were turning only one way.

I have not yet ran at Bub,  but have ridden it there solo.. Hope to make it there by bike this year, but if I do it will be without hack.

To Beairsto, I seen one of your racers out in BC, on the dirt, the yellow snowmobile engine job...

maybe next year I will get it on the track, or at least RWYB..

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2009, 01:48:38 AM »
Does it have a 10" front wheel?  :-)
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline 754

« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2009, 02:18:16 AM »
 Its a normal  wheel size bike but slammed, hack had a Cushman Truckster wheel at first,, but I whittled up a hub & now run a Minitrail wheel on it.. probably F rated.. :-o

I am thinking if I do run on the salt, that it should have 13'' or so car wheels and tires, and a leading link fork... lots of guys were running that on the street in Europe about 15 yrs ago..

If I do run it, I would probably ride it there.. around 900 + miles.

landracing

Sidecar Wheel
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2009, 12:04:10 AM »
I like the term "wheel on a stick" it kinda reminds me of a Aussy movie called Wolf Creek and they used the term "head on a stick" in one part of the movie, it just stuck with me. "Monkey" is totally out of line, but "Chimp" as Freud suggests sounds ok...

JonAmo

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2009, 02:28:07 PM »
Back in '62 I attended a motorcycle race at the old AVUS track in West Berlin. There is a BIG high bank turn at one end with a yellow line a few feet from the top around the turn-- that's it, no wall, no Armco, no fence. Go over that top edge of the track and you wind up over in the parking lot far below. Maybe Pork Pie remembers AVUS-- a remnant of the Thirties.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVUS

Anyway, it was cold and raining-- not unusual for the end of February in Berlin-- and there were big BMWs with sidecars running at high speed right on the yellow line! Both riders wore helmets with face shields and full leathers but it must have been brutal running at that speed in the cold rain!
I don't know what the word the Germans used for the "passenger" but "monkey" seems apt, or even "crazy monky". No offence intended-- they were braver that I was!

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline joea

« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2009, 02:43:58 PM »
all this talk about how brave and skilled a sidecar passenger is......has me reconsidering......

i mean in LSR......you can have a live passenger.....or a lump of coal....or a flat sheet
of steel......or a brick........or NOTHING.......all provide the same amount of skill
and bravery..............

i think that it would be demeaning to a monkey or chimp to refer to them as
a lsr sidecar passenger..........

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2009, 02:49:32 PM »
I was wrong about the date of the AVUS race-- it was in the first week of May but the weather was awful-- cold and raining...and it was a 24 hour race!

Offline jl222

« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2009, 03:01:58 PM »
all this talk about how brave and skilled a sidecar passenger is......has me reconsidering......

i mean in LSR......you can have a live passenger.....or a lump of coal....or a flat sheet
of steel......or a brick........or NOTHING.......all provide the same amount of skill
and bravery..............

i think that it would be demeaning to a monkey or chimp to refer to them as
a lsr sidecar passenger..........

Reminds me of a  story an older friend told me. Years ago he was working for a company testing rockets with pararachutes. They would strap a little monkey in and give him a banana to keep him calm,then launch him.
 There was no way he was going to take that banana the next time :-D

JL222

Offline Freud

« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2009, 03:06:46 PM »
JOEA, are your PETA dues paid for 2009?

A true view of your compassion.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline joea

« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2009, 03:35:06 PM »
Freud....you and many others dont have the type of skill it takes to be a LSR sidecar passenger.....

hey look at the bright side.....there is nearly and infinite number of records available......

it would be cruel to compare it to the "no child left behind" program where everyone gets a certificate.....

thats where i think the "no record left behind" acronym was sprouted.....

and yes i hope this is all in fun......as i know that there will be many sidecar lsr rigs with much greater
speeds than my two wheeler......and i already know that there are lsr sidecar rigs with much finer
craftsmanship than my stuff.......

alittle inflammatory "stick"  to fuel some excitement while waiting and preparing for the salt........

bak..larry.......i can do warm or cold beers when you get here for the rally ....:)

Offline Freud

« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2009, 04:08:23 PM »
Joea, did u read my latest report from my Witness Protection Officer?

He had a list of my qualifications and you are correct........it did not include being baggage on a 3 wheeler.

NO SHIZZEN !

FREUD
Since '63