Author Topic: Salt Talks are coming!  (Read 15858 times)

McRat

Re: Salt Talks are coming!
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2009, 04:26:12 PM »
So if you have a picnic and break out the guitar, the Taxman wants a little to wet his beak? :?

Offline Freud

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2009, 01:36:02 AM »
If you people can agree on a foto that I have posted this past year and are willing to pay too much for it, I'll print it and bring it to Salt

Talks to be auctioned.

The money will go to help a  friend of all of us who needs some support. Call it health insurance.

No names mentioned. Just trust Slim and I. We will donate it.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2009, 03:28:14 PM »
I need to make a correction on my dissertation about needing a permit or two for the Salt Talks affair:

It's not the B L M that wants and would issue the permit.  It's Tooele County, Utah.  Thanks for the heads-up, Gary, and I still remind one and all to be as clean and considerate as possible so we don't run afoul of the gendarmes.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Wester

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2009, 06:49:35 PM »
I could tell you more but I'll be circumspect about Tooele County and their permits.

Offline 754

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2009, 11:04:30 AM »
Bumping this up..

Hope the Be there.. :cheers:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2009, 09:29:53 AM »
Well, this might be a bit of fun today -- because it's going to take problem-solving skills to get Salt Talks to come off as hoped.

First of all -- I visited our 55-gallon drun charcoal grill yesterday and discovered the grill surface (expanded metal) has disappeared.  So today I'll be looking for someone with something that'll work to hold the burgers and hot dogs off the coals.

Then we went to Smith's grocery store to get the meat -- that we had called for early this week to reserve -- and they had only about half of the burgers in stock that we had asked for.  It was late Saturday evening when we shopped, but the folks at the store were about to call the manager and ask if he had forgotten -- or if he had stashed 40# of meat someplace for us.

So -- we've been given photos and shirts and stuff like that for the give-away tonight.  Rocky Robinson has sent an autographed book and shirt and stickers, and we've got that GoPro camera system from Joe Timney at Delaware Chassis Works, and Pork Pie has donated three photos, and so on.  We'll have the usual cash drawing, and good times -- even if we're working extra-hard to be creative with the food.

See you tonight at the Bend in the Road, hey?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2009, 09:40:55 AM »
Hope the Salt Talks went well  :-)

I feel so bad that I could not be there.  But I was there in spirit...(even drank a few spirits last night.. LOL )

Well here is to good weather, good salt, fast times and a safe week for all of you.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2009, 08:26:33 PM »
Well, the topic says "Salt Talks" is coming -- is now out of date, 'cause Salt Talks '09 is history.  And now that Nancy and I are back at the house (if only for a week and a half) it's time for us to thank one and all for the great time we had.

I don't count the number of attendees.  Maybe one of you did -- but I betcha that a SWAG of about 400 people all told is pretty Dodge close.  We went through a little more than 300 1/4# burgers, 96 hot dogs, about 40 bratwurst, and 100 pasties.  Had only a few buns and didn't have much pop left over.  Not bad at all.

Thanks are in order to everyone that pitched in and helped.  I'll name those I can think of right now -- and if you're one of 'em and I don't mention your name -- well, hey, I'm getting old, too.  Anyway -- Ellen Wilkinson and Cathy Shannon operate the grills, and Freud sells tickets, as does The AzOldCrow and Gus and Don.  Tonya and Keith deliver the t-shirts from Alabama to Bonneville, and Joe Timney donated that GoPro camera system.  We got donations of t-shirts from jack Broomall and a bunch of others.  A couple of photographers, including Pork Pie, donated some prints showing race vehicles.  Pork Pie even autographed his work -- great photos, big prints.  Thanks to Norm Hardinge for helping get the band (Wild Turkey) to the Salt and to perform for us after supper.  Thanks to Wild Turkey for taking a break and letting me use their sound system to give away the goodies.  Thanks to most everyone for not leaving too big a mess out there, and also thanks to Mike Crawford (Wendover CarQuest) for letting us store the 55-gallon oil drum charcoal grill behind his store.  Oh, yeah -- I think he donated a hat or something to the giveaway.

Nancyand I have a blast doing Salt Talks each year, and we thank you for letting us have that fun.  By the way -- the whole deal is to be a fund raiser for this website, and that it did, bringing in more than a couple of hundred dollars (above expenses) to help keep the site running for a while.  Thanks to everyone that bought a ticket or put money into one of the coffee cans or just gave Nancy or me a buck or ten.  It all helps us keep the website going, and keeps us entertained enough that we go back for more and more of Salt Talks every year.

We'll see you on the Salt!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline DADONE

• New folks
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2009, 10:31:28 PM »
no sss the main  reason for salt talks was started was for racers to put a face with the people who are on the landracing website

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2009, 10:38:32 PM »
From what I understand, Mike Crawford is a city councilman and is SW's best friend in Wendover.  We don't enen know how much he does for us.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline salt27

« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2009, 01:24:42 AM »
SSS,
This was Gus's third Salt Talks [he was 11 at his first one] and he really looks forward to helping out.
By the way, he let me know that Freud sold more tickets in 10 minutes than I did in an hour.
So I guess I'll be needing a different job next year.
It was great watching Nancy set a record.
We will see you at the NW Reunion if not sooner.

Don

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2009, 09:31:11 AM »
Dadone, I agree that Jon started Salt Talks to be the "land speed racer gathering" so we can see one another in person and not just through the internet, but raising funds is (and has been) an important part of Salt Talks.  Go back, if you'd like, and read what I said.  I didn't say that fundraising is why salt talks was originated, but rather that Salt Talks "...is a fundraiser for the site."  It's not an exclusive statement.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2009, 10:14:38 AM »
 :-D Don, it was good meeting you and Gus also.  Next year we have to do something out of the ordinary so we can get more tickets sold than Freud!  Maybe the Monster girls selling tickets for us or something?   C U soon.      Crow.
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2009, 10:53:57 AM »
Hold it!!!!  NO T & A's on the salt and especially not at Salt Talks!!!  You're just going to have to be quicker in your sales and more convincing in your sales pitch!!  :-o

Wish I could have been there...all of my crew had planned on attending, but then  :cry: ....traffic control became major deal and we couldn't get away.  So, once again I've had to make do by greeting everyone at Land's End...felt like an idiot a couple of times (right Sheri and Willie?!) Sometimes I'm such a bonehead!  :-D Maybe next year I will be there!  :-D 

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline joea

« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2009, 10:55:19 AM »
.....alright because im an inflammatory person.....

the statement sss was...."""By the way -- the whole deal is to be a fund raiser for this website..""""

and you know i love and respect you and Nancy....your doing a phenomenal job
and service....invaluable to me......everyone.........kudo's...!!!!

but i can see dadone being compelled to provide input............

the whole is to be a gathering of comraderie.......and hopefully....support landracing.....:):)

Joe :)