Author Topic: Salt Talks are coming!  (Read 15856 times)

Offline t russell

Re: Salt Talks are coming!
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2009, 12:41:02 PM »
I need 2 at the sept,ecta or by mail 1 ladys small& 1 mens large.
pm me price+ shipping
terry

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2009, 12:49:36 PM »
Slim we will need close to 12 shirts, sizes range from a couple mediums to a few larges and most XL's.  We'll pick em up at the talks, hopefully you won't run out. :cheers:

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2009, 03:55:17 PM »
If we make it, two men's mediums
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2009, 05:48:43 PM »
 :? 754!   Get ahold of me at oldcrowaz@yahoo.com.  That was me at the Motel 6.     Crow
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2009, 03:07:19 PM »
Okay -- here's some more Salt Talks '09 stuff, mostly a visual display of just what pasties really are.

Simply put, as a refresher, a pasty (pronounced PASS-tea) is a meat pie made of coarse ground beef, cubed or thin sliced potato, maybe some other veggie filler, onion, and seasoning.  This mixture is wrapped in a pie-crust-like dough and baked 'til the meat is cooked -- about forty-five minutes.  Here's a photo of a pasty:

Now -- to satisfy all of you who think that a pasty is what women wear when they want maximum exposure of their breasts -- but still adhere to some nudity laws.  In this case the word is pronounced PACE-tea, and they look like this:

And just for the heck of it, Nancy took some colored vinyl and sewed up some pasty pasties.  Here's what they look like:

Okay.  Got it straight yet?  We'll have a hundred pasties (PASS-tease) at Salt Talks, along with hamburgers and hot dogs and condiments and chips and Salt Talks t-shirts featuring the rides of some of the folks here on the Forum.  It's a by-donation picnic that starts around 6PM Sunday, 9 August (the day after racing BEGINS).  I am pretty sure we'll even have a band there this year -- Wild Turkey, from the land of Oz, is kicking off a tour of the States -- with a gig at Salt Talks, no less.  This'll be a fine year -- the tenth annual Salt Talks.  Be there or be square.
Those are going to make a funny tan line 8-)
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2009, 03:09:13 PM »
Uhh..Nancy is not concerned... :-D

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2009, 06:29:04 PM »
 :-o Neither am I.         Crow
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2009, 04:04:34 AM »
I'm , ah, acting here with an uncommon degree of restraint. :roll:

love the shirts, and I of course love a pun :roll:

I'm thinkin' we need six( yeah, shirts), payment to be arranged by Pee-pal, and I guess they could be handed to a certain gang of Aussies who are going to be bringing home a mess of tinware so a few shirts aren't gonna kill 'em....... :cheers: :mrgreen: :roll: :-D

Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2009, 04:55:06 PM »
Okay -- it's time to be serious about Salt Talks, the big picnic that's about 12 days from today.  Here's some information that you may have already seen -- some that might be news to you.

First of all, Salt Talks is a gathering of land speed folks -- racers, crews, families, spectators, and most anyone else.  It happens Sunday evening, the 9th of August this year, at "The Bend in the Road", starting about 5.30 or 6PM or so -- after most of the runs are done for the day.  We'll have food hot off the grill, maybe some salads or coleslaw and chips and stuff like that, and pop to drink.  If you want alcoholic beverages -- supply your own.  No restrictions -- just not enough budget.  Bring your own chairs.  Plan on buying Salt Talks t-shirts, landracing.com neck coolers and t-shirts and even bumper stickers.  I'll see if I can find the art for the Salt Talks t-shirts and attach it to this post.  The vehicles on the shirt this year are some of the ones that have been "built" on the "Build Diary" threads on the website.  I put these folks on the shirt to sort of compensate them for taking the time to keep all of us posted as they've worked on their race vehicles.  Make sure you get at least one Salt Talks t-shirt, hey?

We'll have a 50/50 drawing, but a little bit different than last time:  We'll draw ticket numbers from the whole lot of 'em, and give out three cash prizes -- small, medium, and large.  This way more folks will have a chance to win a bit.

We'll have an "auction" of some stuff, including a GoPro video camera donated by Joe Timney of Delaware Chassis Works, an autographed copy of Rocky Robinson's book "Flat Out", and some t-shirts donated by race teams.  We won't auction off everything -- just the bigger stuff, like the book and camera, and (if we can find it) a T-shirt signed by Andy Green.  The rest of the donated items will be sold at prices sort of determined by your folks in the crowd.  Maybe we'll have other things for the auction/sale, too.  If you'd like to make a donation to the event -- please let us know, either by a message on this board, or an email (mine is jonwennerberg [at] nancyandjon dot org), or a call (my number is listed, I think, in my personal profile, or by just visiting our pit and dropping it off.  We hope to pit in "front row seating" -- close to the return road and the course, and as close to Impound and registration as we can get.  Look for the Salt Talks banner, the Seldom Seen Slim banner, and (if I can find it) a red-yellow-green twirly thing ten feet up in the air.

Something new for this year will be the Australian band "Wild Turkey".  They'll set up kinda near, but not too close, the Salt Talks center of activities, and will serenade us for an hour or two.  Thanks the Aussies for arranging this treat.

I expect some well-known names at Salt Talks this year, like for sure Nancy, Wes Potter and Glen Barrett, and who knows who else.  Maybe we can get LandsendLynda there, or Andy Green (I heard he might be at SpeedWeek).   John Noonan will be there, I betcha, and maybe others, too.

There'll be donation cans setting out for your convenience.  Remember, this event is a fund-raiser for the website landracing.com, and it does take quite a bit out of my pocket in advance (to buy all the 'burgers and pasties and such), so your donations will be greatly appreciated.  What's left after the bills are paid will go to the folks that win at the 50/50 drawing, and whatever might still be left - will go to keep the website up and running.

That's enough for now.  See you on the Salt!!!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2009, 05:08:08 PM »
Be there or be square. :-D :cheers:

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline salt27

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2009, 06:14:30 PM »
Jon,
We will be there to offer a hand.

Don and Gus

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2009, 08:56:00 AM »
Funny pic ^ as that is me, my dad and my nephew standing directly behind the young lad in the pic.  Just seconds before I won a set of golf clubs in the drawing!
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

Offline maj

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2009, 09:29:48 AM »
This is too funny, traveling 1/2 around the world to go racing and one of the first things to see is an Aussie band i see just about every GP and Superbike weekend in the camping area of Phillip Island  :cheers:

Looking forward to the gathering and festivities

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2009, 02:32:33 PM »
Not sure when we will run but if were not thrashing in impound we will be there....Maybe a little late, see you all there. :cheers:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2009, 03:52:53 PM »
Crud/crap!  Bad news -- we'll have to forgo the band.  I got a call from someone in the racing fraternity, who knows the rules very well, and I was assured that the Bureau of Land Management requires a permit for stuff like a band on the Federal land.  Expecting 400 people?  Then pay something like $450 for the permit. 

Ooops!  Not me, durn it.  I guess that we're taking a chance that nobody will bust us for having the picnic per se, and if we do -- well, someone come bail Nancy and me out of the hooosegow, please.  I hear there's a county ordinance about cooking -- that the grill needs to be at such-and-such a minimum temperature, for instance.  Well -- everyone bring a sample of your chosen race gas and we'll pour it on the charcoal just as the Narcs get there, okay?

I'll try to track down the band and tell them the situation.  I guess if they decide to set up and play anyway -- and they were planning on playing at a location a bit away from Salt Talks the picnic -- then maybe they'll be the ones that get ticketed, not Salt Talks.

And finally -- I expect that one reason we haven't heard from the BLM in the nine years we've staged Salt Talks -- is that we do a pretty good job of policing the area afterwards -- not too many bottles and cans and puddles of puke and such.  Be informed, therefore, to take back out whatever you bring in.  We'll have garbage cans at the picnic -- help us all by using 'em, hey?  Thanks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com