Author Topic: El Mirage 5/16/09  (Read 41685 times)

McRat

Re: El Mirage 5/16/09
« Reply #90 on: May 18, 2009, 12:58:19 PM »
The "Casper" Report - B/DT 1616 'world's fastest production diesel':

Truck wasn't ready, arrived in "some assembly required" format.  Plenty of power, just couldn't translate it into MPH.

First pass was hairy. Couldn't accelerate to save my arse until about 1.0 mile, then I finally got it to accelerate from 120 to a finish of 141mph sliding all the way through.

ARRGGHH!! First I go 174, next I go 163, then 155, then 154, now 141.  Seems by then the end of the season I'll be going backwards down the track.

Day two, track was in better shape, but still not good. At about 2/3rd track I hit about 170 according to the tach, then it started losing speed as the tires broke loose and fishtailed all the rest the way down. Could only rescue a 157.9mph on the 163mph record. Good news is that it gives me better run order because almost everyone had problems with conditions.

There was an extra cool chopped 1947 Hudson Pickup running in A/DT (440-500 cubic inch diesel pickup) with a Ford 7.3 and claimed 750+ HP. Track conditions didn't like him either, and netted 112mph.

The third and last diesel was the MDT Nissan "Salt Toy" with it's 2-stroke Detroit Diesel, super and turbo charged. It ran a 154mph? mph pass.

Thanks out to:

All the hard working SCTA volunteers for an excellent event.

Johnny
Jason
Mitch
Robert
Roadrunners

for pit crew.

Mike L and Guy Tripp for last minute parts (the trans brace was PERFECT!)

Robert my partner in crime with wrenching

Members of the Duramax Diesel community for your continued support - Casper continues to be a "community effort" and we can't do it without you folk!

And last but first, my wife Kat and Hamsters, for putting up with this nonsense.

I didn't take pictures. :(
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 01:14:20 PM by McRat »

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #91 on: May 18, 2009, 01:06:14 PM »
Pat, it was good to meet you at the lakes. Everyone ran on the same poor course conditions and the results show it. We get what mother nature provides each year. Maybe next month Chuck and crew will find a little better section.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

McRat

« Reply #92 on: May 18, 2009, 01:11:26 PM »
Pat, it was good to meet you at the lakes. Everyone ran on the same poor course conditions and the results show it. We get what mother nature provides each year. Maybe next month Chuck and crew will find a little better section.

It was great to talk with you as well.  :cheers:

Pragmatically, there are much worse things in life than hanging out with good friends and fellow hotrodders on a beautiful day in the Southern California desert and taking a nice drive at twice the legal speed limit.  I had a blast! :cheers:

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #93 on: May 18, 2009, 01:55:46 PM »
...a twin-engine bike (not 'Busa engines, I expect, though)...

I keep wondering when a twin engine Busa powered bike will show up.   :-D

Awesome pics everyone.   :cheers:

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #94 on: May 18, 2009, 02:50:24 PM »
McRat --

I understand the Hudson pickup had a chopped top -- not allowed in DT.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

McRat

« Reply #95 on: May 18, 2009, 03:01:56 PM »
McRat --

Stan

I guess that is up to the Diesel Committee.  IMO, it should have been moved to MDT for a few reasons, but the driver said the Diesel Committee gave them thumbs up for chopped cabs.  Wish someone would have told me I could cut down my 6' tall truck before I put in my rollcage, or refit the chassis to the frame.

Shortly there will be no more diesel pickups running in DT class anyhow, as there are several folk in the process of taking gas race trucks and repowering for diesel so they can be more competitive.  Diesel racing is perhaps going to become a Second Place Gasoline class.  If you can't hit the existing record in gasoline class, repower and hit open diesel records instead.

Me, my addiction is making things faster, and my current drug is #2 Diesel.  Whether or not there is room for diesel trucks in diesel classes won't stop me from hotrodding diesels.

Offline jl222

« Reply #96 on: May 18, 2009, 03:12:33 PM »
McRat --

Stan

THAT Hudson pickup, go to [www.acureiscoming.com] its on side of truck, foto by destoman Tom, is controlled by a parapalegic from the
Neck down by a mouthpiece. Truck was built to showpiece what can be done and to keep hope-patience and love to other parapaligics and
their families and friends.
They  also plan on racing the Silver State Classic. What an inspiration!!
Thanks for the fotos Tom I never would have know without them.
 Go to their web site to find out a lot more.

JL222

McRat

« Reply #97 on: May 18, 2009, 03:23:31 PM »
McRat --

Stan

THAT Hudson pickup, go to [www.acureiscoming.com] its on side of truck, foto by destoman Tom, is controlled by a parapalegic from the
Neck down by a mouthpiece. Truck was built to showpiece what can be done and to keep hope-patience and love to other parapaligics and

JL222

Yup.  That's why I would never protest anything about the entry.  It's a beautiful truck, and a worthy cause.  I just race for fun.  I've never protested an entry in 30+ years I've been racing, and I won't start now. 

Offline wolcottjl

« Reply #98 on: May 18, 2009, 03:39:48 PM »

JL222

An old friend of mine who is a quad (special ops vet) is gonna love this!  Thanks for the link!
Joel Wolcott
Moving to 2 wheels in 2010

Offline jl222

« Reply #99 on: May 18, 2009, 03:41:55 PM »

Fast Freddy said the course was the worse he's seen, me too. Even the return road got tore up and turned to powder,on the way to retreive the race car,  spectators were yelling
and waving at us and I thought they were cheering us, but they were yelling at us to slow down :-P
 while pushing Troy back we had to actually stop because of a dust out that lasted a couple of minutes, we could not see five feet or less in front
of car.
  Somethings going on with the lakebed thats different, maybe just to many dry years or to much well pumping thats lowering the water table or a combination,
but have never seen the return road turn to powder like that.

JL222
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 03:51:52 PM by jl222 »

McRat

« Reply #100 on: May 18, 2009, 03:56:26 PM »
Man oh man, I really miss my 4x4.  I hit oil at 90mph at Cal Speedway at WOT, and it still tracked like it was on rails.

But I lost that battle, and need to move onto the next one.   :evil:

Offline desotoman

« Reply #101 on: May 18, 2009, 04:15:07 PM »

JL222

John,

Your welcome, I am just happy I was able to take them. It was good talking with you in line. Hope to see you next month.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #102 on: May 18, 2009, 04:36:49 PM »
I'm confused (what's new?)!

How's a Chevy 3/4-ton Gas truck different than a Diesel in body, outside of maybe the heighth of the hood?  Isn't an extended cab (or crew cab) slipprier than a single cab.  Is there a rule not allowing lowering in this class?  Would a NASCAR or other race class truck be legal in DT where no body panel can be altered?

Stan Back
(Known to protest -- how we gonna keep them safe down on the farm.)
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline jl222

« Reply #103 on: May 18, 2009, 04:43:13 PM »

It was great to talk with you as well.  :cheers:

Pragmatically, there are much worse things in life than hanging out with good friends and fellow hotrodders on a beautiful day in the Southern California desert and taking a nice drive at twice the legal speed limit.  I had a blast! :cheers:

Pat, I agree with all of the above except '' beautiful day'' :? :-D I don't want to be around on one of your bad days :-o
  Friday night was nice out though.

JL222 :cheers:

Offline BVCBR

• Pflum & Wagner Racing
    • Gotfastbikes.com
« Reply #104 on: May 19, 2009, 12:36:10 AM »
Can someone pass along the contact information for any of the Photographers that were at the meet? Especially someone taking pictures down course.

Thanks. 
970B 1000cc P-P
976B 1000cc P-P
977B 1000cc M-G/F