Author Topic: El Mirage 5/16/09  (Read 41683 times)

Offline Freud

Re: El Mirage 5/16/09
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2009, 10:01:03 PM »
Tom......... a great job.

Sorry you were blown out.

Loved the fotos.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Geo

« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2009, 10:41:56 PM »
Tom, thanks for the photos!

Offline desotoman

« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2009, 11:16:59 PM »
You are more than welcome. Glad you enjoyed them. Since my car is on hold until this crazy economy settles down it is the least I can do.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2009, 11:20:37 PM »
This is a brand new roadster, that ran for the first time.

Photo by Tom G.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2009, 11:32:12 PM »
Photo by Tom G.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2009, 02:56:21 PM »
There were 141 entries as of Saturday morning. Every driver/rider that came for a timing slip said there was no traction/I got sideways/I got sideways again . . .

Fast Freddy was on and off the throttle. There was a pretty long section were he was off the throttle. Still ran 252.

The weather was great until the wind came up. The forecast was for 10 mph winds. HAH. It peaked at about 22. The visibility at El Mirage starts with no wind in the morning and that creates a problem because the dust just hangs there. As soon as the breeze picks up the dust blows off pretty quick and the runs come pretty quick. The first 50 runs came in nothing flat. Wes thought we could do 200 runs. Ended up with 109 when the wind put an end to things.

I think there were only 5 or so records. Big thanks to the SCTA computer guys. The old setup had the timing slips printed from the finish line to the printer at the starting line. There would be a huge pile of slips that we would have to sort through to find your slip. If one didn't print we would have to request a reprint over the radio. Now there is a laptop and the records come through the network and we print them out as needed. Much better.

If you have never been to El Mirage this is what you are up against. The lake bed was under about 1-2" of water in December. That settles things out and makes it very flat. It drys out in weeks. The alkali dust is very fine. (Memo to replace air cleaner on car.) The surface is very hard. If you take a hammer to it it barely leaves a mark. How well the surface holds up determines what the race weekend looks like. All of the high horsepower cars/bikes are spinning the tires all the way down. You try to get traction in a mile and a third and go 300 mph! As the day progresses, the surface continues to deteriorate. If you start with a well cemented surface, and good wind, then the records come right along.

If you start slippery, like Saturday, then the surface and the wind makes life difficult. Saturday night the troops will pick up EVERYTHING and move it 50 feet to a better surface.

This panorama starts with a car leaving the line and ends with a bike leaving the line. There doesn't look like that many cars in the pits. On the starting line side there aren't. On the SCTA trailer side there are lots of trailers on the other side. Look closely down the left side of the track. The motor homes go on out of sight.

John Noonan heading out on the first run of the day as the #1 points leader of last year. The fact that he didn't set a record (very rare.) told us what the traction was like.

75 more pictures here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dean-janice/sets/72157618351466294/
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 03:00:33 PM by Dean Los Angeles »
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2009, 03:13:11 PM »
We were on Patrol Return side #8. Got on station @ 10:00. At that time the dust was just hanging with little wind to clear it. They were calling cars with starting #'s of 100 to 125 by that time. The wind start blowing across course from the Northeast to the Southwest. It would be clear at the top end but dusty at the starting line and vice versa, so runs were quite spread out. About 11:30 they started having delays. More delays than runs. I figured they would call the racing @ 1:00 but at 1:00 they said they would make the call @ 2:00 then 2:30. It was so much fun sitting there in a dark truck (before the dust made it tan) watching the dust devils making caos in the pits.

The combination of the course breaking up and the cross/headwinds caused a lot of racers to turn out early or back off before the lights. There were quite a fer people running out of the Rookie Line so it looks like they heeded the Starters advise and played it smart. Better to race another day.

For those that know El Mirage, the wind does not get better in the afternoon! Race "stopped" at 2:30.

Some people really got stupid out there (spectators, not racers!). One dunebuggy rolled several times and a couple on motorcycles had accidents behind the Return road. One appeared serious. This all happened just before they called the race.

Tom
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 03:17:32 PM by 836dstr »

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2009, 03:17:23 PM »
Nice collection of photos Dean. Thanks!

Pete

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2009, 04:04:11 PM »
There is a big difference in calling the race for wind on a two day meet.

On a one day meet (or Sunday on a two day) you call the race as soon as you realize the wind isn't going to stop. They usually wait an hour just to make sure. It's late on Sunday and everybody wants to get home.

On a two day meet you know you are going to be back on Sunday, there's several big BBQ's Saturday night, so why call it before 4:00?
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2009, 04:07:01 PM »
Great pictures Tom & Dean!

Dean, I love this picture!

It's like one I saw at the Indy Goodguys race a few years ago!
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline desotoman

« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2009, 06:32:39 PM »
Sunday, today when I left around 11:00 AM only a handful of records had been set. Here are a few pictures I did not get yesterday.

Tom G.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2009, 06:36:30 PM »
Photos by Tom G.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2009, 06:38:55 PM »
Photos by Tom G.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2009, 06:52:52 PM »
Photos by Tom G.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2009, 06:55:18 PM »
Photos by Tom G.