Author Topic: Donations welcome - nay, needed!  (Read 48374 times)

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
Re: Donations welcome - nay, needed!
« Reply #90 on: April 18, 2011, 11:41:27 PM »
Andy Green is the current holder of the World Land speed record, and the first person to break the sound barrier on land.  It's a unique shirt, and a good cause.  If SSS ever does another run of those shirts, I hope he puts the Landracing.com on the front and the racing verbage on the back, to differentiate the first and later editions.  Maybe someday.  And if the other Jon is keeping the dustbin in development, I hope he considers a center hub front steering.  They take some getting used to, but are less susceptible to sidewind gusts.  I'll try and keep further opinions to myself.
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #91 on: April 19, 2011, 01:46:12 AM »
Andy Green is the current holder of the World Land speed record, and the first person to break the sound barrier on land.  It's a unique shirt, and a good cause.  If SSS ever does another run of those shirts, I hope he puts the Landracing.com on the front and the racing verbage on the back, to differentiate the first and later editions.  Maybe someday.  And if the other Jon is keeping the dustbin in development, I hope he considers a center hub front steering.  They take some getting used to, but are less susceptible to sidewind gusts.  I'll try and keep further opinions to myself.

Thank you for the information regarding Andy Green, regarding the Airtech DB fairing..I am certain the wreck/crash was not caused by the fairing being affected by either side winds or a gust.

I am hoping this week we can put the bike/bodywork back together to acurately determine what the cause of the crash was, until then Bob and I will not speculate as to what caused the problem we/I endured.

Once we do I/we will post our findings as to the issue at hand, this will be done to make sure that no one else endures what I did last Sunday while running over 270+ mph.  The picture of the 314 mph gps was not posted by another racer to stipulate what our top speed was, it was posted simply as what it was..an erroneous measurement we have not experienced with a gps in the past and never before experienced until now.

We are certain that with further development with our design we will be not only closer to our bad gps speed however we will again have the fasted timed sit-on bike anywhere.  This will ruffle some feathers however we are positive with what we have learned.  

John

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
« Reply #92 on: April 19, 2011, 03:00:05 PM »
We shall be looking forward to it.  Hmmm, now maybe if the SCTA sanctioned an off season race at the Mojave airport, and allowed dustbins for "sprint racing only," and added a page or two in the rule book to keep track of 1 mile sprint records, it might make a fine event and be the stuff more dreams are made of.  We all remember the milestone when Rick first took a P-P Hayabusa over 200.  Now sit on bikes are heading for 300.  SSS might have to get a few signed T-shirts to note the event and auction them off here.

Offline DallasV

« Reply #93 on: April 19, 2011, 03:24:19 PM »
Once we do I/we will post our findings as to the issue at hand, this will be done to make sure that no one else endures what I did last Sunday while running over 270+ mph.  The picture of the 314 mph gps was not posted by another racer to stipulate what our top speed was, it was posted simply as what it was..an erroneous measurement we have not experienced with a gps in the past and never before experienced until now.
John

John, My first thought when I saw the GPS reading (Granted I do not know the rate that the GPS collects and calculates data) is that if the bike had flipped, end over end, at some point part of that bike furthest from the axis may have been traveling over 300. Kind of like throwing a stick, the stick is only traveling 40 MPH but the ends are passing the axis rapidly. But it has been a long time since I have taken a physics course so I am probably way off base.
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #94 on: April 19, 2011, 11:32:55 PM »
That is very likely the case, that speed is the peak speed of the GPS unit, not necessarily the bike. Like a helicopter with its spinning rotor, the rotor blade that is advancing forward goes through the air much faster than the helicopter.

In the same sense if the GPS unit was thrown forward off the bike it would be recording both the speed of the bike at the time it was "ejected" and its own forward motion relative to the bike.

GPS measures speed by measuring time delay of arriving radio signals from the satellites it is watching. Any motion that caused the antenna on the GPS unit to move in a forward direction (direct velocity of ejection from the bike and rotation of the GPS unit around its own center of mass) would add to the apparent speed it would measure.

It looks like from this paper that the speed errors for a garmin GPS are about 4.64 knots or around 5 mph error.
This error would of course be for the speed of the GPS antenna relative to the satellites not the speed of the bike in this case.

http://www.gps-results.com/GPS_Speed.pdf

Larry

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #95 on: April 20, 2011, 02:44:34 AM »
That is very likely the case, that speed is the peak speed of the GPS unit, not necessarily the bike. Like a helicopter with its spinning rotor, the rotor blade that is advancing forward goes through the air much faster than the helicopter.

In the same sense if the GPS unit was thrown forward off the bike it would be recording both the speed of the bike at the time it was "ejected" and its own forward motion relative to the bike.

GPS measures speed by measuring time delay of arriving radio signals from the satellites it is watching. Any motion that caused the antenna on the GPS unit to move in a forward direction (direct velocity of ejection from the bike and rotation of the GPS unit around its own center of mass) would add to the apparent speed it would measure.

It looks like from this paper that the speed errors for a garmin GPS are about 4.64 knots or around 5 mph error.
This error would of course be for the speed of the GPS antenna relative to the satellites not the speed of the bike in this case.

http://www.gps-results.com/GPS_Speed.pdf

Larry

Larry/Dallas.

Great info..all we know at this time are that the bike was geared for 28*.*^$ in fifth gear..we know we were not at 314..nobody said we were..if the bike "rotated/flipped" at 28*.&^+ then the bike should have kept on flipping and not simply flop from left to right.

McVicar made a good point that perhaps the GPS unit can be checked for time versus distance.. :cheers:

All we want to know is the actual speed at which we went down.

We will see.

John

Offline joea

« Reply #96 on: April 20, 2011, 08:00:35 AM »
...the "best" news is that you are alright John...!..

Joe :)

Offline DallasV

« Reply #97 on: April 20, 2011, 09:51:21 AM »
All we want to know is the actual speed at which we went down.

We will see.

John

Too dang fast. crazy arse 2 wheeled riding wingnuts.   :wink:  Really glad to hear your OK.
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #98 on: April 21, 2011, 02:59:34 PM »
Let's get this back in front of everyone - and maybe up the ante a few bits.  For those of you that were hiding earlier, the website is auctioning off a landracing.com t-shirt autographed by Andy Green (the fastest man on the planet).  Go back a handful of posts to see a few photos (or I guess I can re-post 'em, but they're at the house and I'm not).  The shirt is a cool bit of "there's only this one, in the whole world" L S R memorabilia, and the revenue from the sale of it will help keep the site up and running well.  As I remember it -- right now the high bid is John Noonan's $165, and he's been the most constant bidder -- like he really wants the shirt.  Are you interested?  If so -- please make a bid and do your bit to not only help the site -- but to have something for your own LSR collection.  Thanks, folks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
« Reply #99 on: April 24, 2011, 02:05:34 PM »
Bump.

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #100 on: April 25, 2011, 04:55:39 AM »
Payment sent :cheers:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #101 on: April 25, 2011, 07:58:04 AM »
P O Box 1665 HB CA?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
« Reply #102 on: April 25, 2011, 10:53:43 AM »
Oops, only bumped 'cause I thought the auction ran for x number of hours and wasn't over yet.  I defer to the verbage on the Salt Talks 2011 thread.  SSS, if you want to auction anything else here on this one, I've got some books to donate:  The Fastest Motorcycles on Earth by Tom Murphy,  children's book Land Speed Racing by Steve Hendrickson (motorcycles), The Daytona 200 by Don Emde (paperback from 1991), George Lepp's Bonneville Salt Flats-Speed Limit 1000 MPH- from 1988, Carl McClanahan's V-Twin Thunder from 1984 for older Harley big and little twin performance mods.  And Steven Wright's American Racer 1900 to 1939 & 1940 to 1980 (two volumes).  Lemme know if you want to do something with them.  Buyers can pay you and I'll ship them.

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #103 on: April 25, 2011, 11:13:09 AM »
I'd be a buyer for Carl McClanahan's V-Twin Thunder from 1984 for older Harley's.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
« Reply #104 on: April 25, 2011, 11:43:54 AM »
Paperback, about 60 pages, Carl was a drag racer starting with a Panhead in 1958, raced until about 1974.  Put the first wheelie bar on a bike in 1971.  He still lives about 3 miles south of here, but I've lost his number or I'd ask him to sign it.  Real good condition, no greasy fingerprints.  Will you go $15 sent to Landracing and I'll ship it if you PM me your address.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 11:48:29 AM by Moxnix »