Author Topic: Donations welcome - nay, needed!  (Read 48359 times)

Offline desotoman

Re: Donations welcome - nay, needed!
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2011, 01:50:00 PM »
Slim,

Just curious what clock do we go by? The time it shows on top of the post, which I guess is when we hit the post button. Or the normal time on our clocks at home which could be a minute fast or slow? Not trying to be picky just trying to avoid any problems like the last auction had.

I have an Atomic clock here at the house so for the fun of it I will hit the post button at 10:50:00 PST and see what shows up on the post.

Tom G.

PS. Well it looks like our clocks agree. LOL
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 01:52:59 PM by desotoman »
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2011, 02:04:46 PM »
Okay, that's a good question, Tom - and I'm not sure of the answer.  The Forum software has the clock display - but I don't know if it sets itself with reference to some other clock or standard -- or if it's a setting that I can control.  I'll look around after I post and after I finish this "Jack Pine Mushers Association" engraving for the upcoming sled dog race.  If I can set the clock - I'll set it using the time from the cellphone system, which is at least nationwide, but maybe not accurate to the second like yours tries to be.  If I can I will -- otherwise I'll ty to get at least within a handful of seconds.

I guess that if you want to be the final bidder on something -- you'll want to test your system and the Forum clock to see which is when.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2011, 02:19:50 PM »
Howdy again, ladies and germs (to paraphrase Alan Alda in the Mash TV series):

If there's a way to set/check the clock that shows up near the top/right corner of the Forum - it's pretty well hidden.  I just now clicked my way around the Administrative pages and didn't see it.  Nothing about time except that each member can adjust his display for so many hours ahead/behind the Forum clockwhich setting place is in the member profile section.  I hope to heck the Forum clock is set for Eastern time.

I'll ask Bob if he knows where the clock's controls are tucked away - and then maybe I'll know and will respond here again.

Question posed -- will get an answer when he gets home from work and heating up the house.  He reported -16F yesterday -- and he lives right near Albuquerque.  BBrrrrr...
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 02:38:10 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2011, 06:19:19 PM »
If there's a way to set/check the clock that shows up near the top/right corner of the Forum - it's pretty well hidden.

Jon check to see if it matches the system time on the computer hosting the forum. It is entirely possible it gets its time from the host computer.

Larry

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2011, 07:46:39 PM »
While I remain busy trying to decide if I will set up an online lr.com store -- I've been offered a deal on some photos - by Larry Ledford, a/k/a blackhorse.  I'll include a couple of thumbnails here, after I tell you what he's suggesting.

First of all, we'll start with the two photos of Charles Nearburg's "Spirit of Rett".  That's the car, as you probably remember, that broke the Goldenrod's 45-year-old record this past September at the Shootout.  One is a big (36w x 24 tall) poster-size really great photo of the car, taken in late afternoon sun.  The other is an 8 x 10 of the car in the measured mile of the course -- when it was, therefore, booking right along around 415 - 420 or so.  Both of these thumbnails are watermarked with Larry's mark - so the bad guys don't steal them (or, if they insist, they'll get kinda low quality and the watermark, too).  Anyway, he's offered a number of the sets to be sold here as a fund raiser for the site - and to make a buck or two for himself while getting his name and skill as a photographer some publicity.  (By the way, he's also taken shots of the Ack Attack bike and even got one of the Speed Demon having some "troubles".  I don't know if he's going to sell those, or what -- just letting you know some of his work).

Back to selling these.  The first set I'll auction off, starting at $100 for them both.  Then I'll sell the rest - using the auction price for the now-established sale price.  Sounds okay to me.  Will somebody please start the bidding?  If you've got questions I'll either give you some kind of answer - or get one that's probably more accurate from Larry.

Just moving it back to the front -- so all will see it and at least have a chance at buying a set of these photos.  I've heard from Larry -- that you're welcome to have him print the photo of the Spirit of Rett at speed in a few larger sizes -- but anything bigger than about 11x14 will be pretty grainy and poor resolution.  The big photo is great at 24x36.

Please go back a few posts, read through the stuff, and maybe - just maybe - you'll decide that it's worth a bit of your hard-earned cash to buy a set of these cool photos for yourself (and help landracing.com in the bargain, too).
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2011, 01:34:19 PM »
What do I see -- the clock showing it's about 7 1/2 hours or so 'til the end of the auction?  Come on, ladies and gentlemen, please consider taking a gander at the photos that are available on the site - as a fund raiser for the landracing.com world.  These will be a fine addition to your wall decorations -- maybe even to hang in your shop (but first enclose them in a good frame -- too nice to make them vulnerable to soot and grime and welding smoke). 

I'm hoping that the auction will be popular for another, more basic reason, too.  I don't like to have to ask for donations for the site more often than I NEED to ask -- but to raise the money to keep things going smoothly I've gotta have some ongoing source of funds.  I've mentioned before - and will do it here, again - that I'm considering other auctions on a regular basis, or maybe buying that collector's collection (that's what collectors do, right?) of collected collectibles  which I could use as the base for an online store.  Things would be listed and always available for you to purchase -- old programs, old rule books, photos, posters, models, and so on almost ad infinitum.  But it'll take a four-figure investment to get them - and that's more money than this site can easily afford if I don't have some firm evidence that there's a good marketplace for the stuff.

One confirmer is your interest in the auctions.  Want more to buy?  Visit the auction site and make an offer on the pictures of the car that broke the Goldenrod's 45-year-old record.  Thanks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2011, 10:58:32 AM »
Hey, hey, hey!  It looks like Scott Beairsto is the winner of the Spirit of Rett photos.  I'll have Larry contact you (if he hasn't already done so) to arrange shipping.  You might consider contacting Charles Nearburg to have him autograph the photo(s).  He was certainly happy to sign one for me (of the Summers Brothers and the Goldenrod) at the Shootout last year.  I have not been in touch with him since then.

Next will be trying to find out if there is a simple 9or complex, for that matter) reason why this aucrtion did not draw much acitivity.  I'll chew over that issue in another post, though.

In the meantime -- congratulations, Scott.  You've got a really cool bit of land speed racing history to add to your collection.  Thanbks, Larry, for the donation of it, too.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2011, 02:52:01 PM »
Hay, hey, haigh -- it's been two months since the last auction on here ended, so I'll start another one now.  This is to be a fund-raiser for the website, and will offer a unique bit of land speed racing memorabilia.  High bidder gets the item, of course.  The auction will end Sunday, 24 April, at 6PM EDT.  That's a little more than one week from today - so all should have a chance to see the shirt.  What shirt, you ask?  Well, a couple of years ago -- when we first had the new landracing.com t-shirts available, Andy Green stopped by at that year's Salt Talks for a while and a bite to eat.  While he was there I asked him - and he graciously did - to sign a few of the new shirts.  One or two of them have already gone at previous events, and there's just this one remaining.  It's an XL shirt.  Here are a couple of photos of it:

There it is, boys and girls.  You've got about 171.2 hours to make your offers for something to add to your collection of land speed racing items.  Have at it!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2011, 03:15:49 PM »
I'll open with $25.00 even if it is too large for me.   :cheers:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2011, 05:35:47 PM »
$35
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2011, 11:23:03 PM »
100.00  :cheers:

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2011, 01:49:00 AM »
SSS, I'll send you a donation that matches Noonan's bid above, without bidding myself.  As I already have a still new Andy Green T-shirt like that & if it's okay with you I'll send it to your friends in W. Wendover for the new Salt Flats racing museum.
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2011, 08:09:55 AM »
Whoa, cool.  Thanks, Moxnix, and what a good idea -- getting not only Sir Andy's name in the museum in a different manner -- but getting this website represented there. too.  Thank you very much -- and thanks, John Noonan, too.  I guess your spill last weekend and your recovery since has left you well enough that you're able to offer your support to the site - again.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #73 on: April 18, 2011, 03:12:08 PM »
Hmmm.................Where have I seen that shirt before?????????????? :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2011, 03:31:20 PM »
In your dreams, Jerry -- in your dreams.  Maybe that dream was the one where Nancy was modeling the shirt.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com