Author Topic: Modified Vintage Gas Engine In Motorcycle Streamliner?  (Read 19493 times)

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
Re: Modified Vintage Gas Engine In Motorcycle Streamliner?
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2009, 11:45:24 PM »
Calkins How much hp does your motor make at the rear wheel                    willie buchta

You have your work cut out for you    http://www.streamliner.com/

http://www.geocities.com/buddfab/buddfab3

I'm not sure on the horsepower yet.  It's going to be a chore to find a crankcase and cylinder head from 1955 to make the vintage class!  The stock 200 cc Tiger Cubs had 14.5 HP at 6500 RPM (probably at the crank) and had a top speed of 76 MPH.  I'm shooting for 80-100 MPH on a tuned 250cc gas engine with around 500-600# bike and rider weight.
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2009, 12:13:49 AM »
I'm not sure on the horsepower yet.  It's going to be a chore to find a crankcase and cylinder head from 1955 to make the vintage class!  The stock 200 cc Tiger Cubs had 14.5 HP at 6500 RPM (probably at the crank) and had a top speed of 76 MPH.  I'm shooting for 80-100 MPH on a tuned 250cc gas engine with around 500-600# bike and rider weight.

Calkins, don't want to rain on the parade, but by the time you install the required safety equipment, retractable skids, roll structure, hans device, etc...etc... you may be well over the target weight.  That is not a bad thing, but hopefully you read everything people suggested to get an idea what you are in for.  I am not saying don't do it, I'm saying go in with all the info you can get and a plan... won't hurt to have a very large budget as well...  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2009, 12:25:16 AM »

Calkins, don't want to rain on the parade, but by the time you install the required safety equipment, retractable skids, roll structure, hans device, etc...etc... you may be well over the target weight.  That is not a bad thing, but hopefully you read everything people suggested to get an idea what you are in for.  I am not saying don't do it, I'm saying go in with all the info you can get and a plan... won't hurt to have a very large budget as well...  :cheers:

Like someone said earlier, I'm doubling everything!  I'm 150-160# and stock bike weights around 230# fully decked out but dry, add a cage and all the 'stuff' I'm hoping to be around the 500# mark.  Baby steps.  I'm not going to try run 300mph, on my first run, with a 50mph bike.  I've been told that a guy that's about an hour away from me built the motors for pretty much very fast Tiger Cub in the USA.  So, I'm going to pick his brain and see what he'll tell me.  I just laid out somemore drawings, and these have tail fins.  So, I'll get them scanned tomorrow night and post them.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2009, 12:27:18 AM »
5-600 lbs is more optimistic than 100mph.... don't get stuck with a lot of fin above the body in your design as it increases the roll leverage due to side wind loading... put some above and some below the body....
Kent

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2009, 12:29:55 AM »
5-600 lbs is more optimistic than 100mph.... don't get stuck with a lot of fin above the body in your design as it increases the roll leverage due to side wind loading... put some above and some below the body....
Kent

Ok, thanks!  I'll change than right now!!!

With the small bike size and lower speeds, could I get away with just a medium sized lower fin?  Or does the lack of air flow under the car lower the effect of the lower fin?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 01:31:39 AM by Calkins »

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2009, 10:07:14 PM »
Hope I don't make anyone mad with this design.  I'm trying to listen to what everyone is telling me AND what I want to do.  Glen & 1212FBGS suggested that I need a tail fin for high speed stability.  I'm not sure if a lower if would be very effective since there wouldn't be very much air flow on the underside of the body.  1212FBGS also suggested a smaller upper fin to reduce the effects of side wind.  I know looks aren't everything, but I couldn't come up with a design for an upper and lower or just an upper fin that looked right.  I'm trying to keep off the rear part of the cone because of the parachute.  I'm not sure if I'd keep the break-off cone idea that I have now or have an open rear at that line on the rear cone.  Ideas, thoughts?  Can I get by with the lower fin and no upper?  The fastest this bike would go is 250mph because of the single parachute.  I don't think I'd have it over 200mph.  200 is my goal and all I want for this design.

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2009, 11:39:57 PM »
Regarding the back end........take a look at a picture of the Denis Manning's (BUB) Lucky- 7
M/C  liner..................................................................

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2009, 02:49:51 AM »
duplicate your lower fin to the top then shrink both 10%
kent

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2009, 04:46:00 PM »
kent

How's this?

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2009, 12:40:08 AM »
kent

Kent before he can figure the size of those vertical stabilizers wouldn't he need to have some idea where the center of gravity is?

Sum

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2009, 11:35:53 AM »
Might get some ideas from the old Bonneville thread.... Triumph just posted a set of old bike liners....  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2009, 12:49:51 PM »
sum...
probably!
kr

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2009, 02:02:48 PM »
Might get some ideas from the old Bonneville thread.... Triumph just posted a set of old bike liners....  :cheers:

Thanks, looks good!

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2009, 04:31:17 PM »
How fast did Vesco go with this one?  He didn't have a fin at all.  Not to say it wasn't evil handling!

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2009, 09:50:26 AM »
I got ahold of Chuck Zeglin who runs a Cub open bike.  Turns out that he also is friends with Dale Martin!  So it looks like I'm killing two birds with one stone!  Getting some progress...