Author Topic: Modified Vintage Gas Engine In Motorcycle Streamliner?  (Read 19489 times)

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
Re: Modified Vintage Gas Engine In Motorcycle Streamliner?
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2009, 04:38:13 PM »
the Martins set several records in the 60's with those little trumpets....including a streamliner.... dale still races one and still sets records with 'em... the last time he was down he showed me some cool pix of him, his dad, brother Lonnie and the liner..... i don't know of anyone else who has been consistently racing a triumph single since the 50' like the Martins.... as for the electrithon racer, if your gonna build a 'liner you can do alot better than using that design...
Kent
oh PS.... if your contemplating a 4 or 5 year build you better keep in constant contact with the SCTA tech guys.  you should be prepaired for some rule changes at some point during your build
kr

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2009, 04:39:20 PM »
loose goose Terry... how ya commin with your liner?
kent

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2009, 05:34:43 PM »
the Martins set several records in the 60's with those little trumpets....including a streamliner.... dale still races one and still sets records with 'em... the last time he was down he showed me some cool pix of him, his dad, brother Lonnie and the liner..... i don't know of anyone else who has been consistently racing a triumph single since the 50' like the Martins.... as for the electrithon racer, if your gonna build a 'liner you can do alot better than using that design...
Kent
oh PS.... if your contemplating a 4 or 5 year build you better keep in constant contact with the SCTA tech guys.  you should be prepaired for some rule changes at some point during your build
kr

Yea.  I'm starting to think that I'm not going to be happy with the 'car' project.

I'm still trying to figure out the 'bike' chassis.  I've seen pictures of the Martin Tiger cub 'liner and that's what I want.  Like this:

I'm not to crazy about the pointed nose cone.  The one I'm drawing up was a standard belly tanker rounded nose and a pointed tail.  I also like to driver bubble on this car:

So, with the front half and top of the lakester and the rear half and size of the biker, that's what I'm going for.
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2009, 07:37:19 PM »
Justin, my crew chief at speed week last year was invloved in the rebuild of the Triumph powered Texas Ceegar after it was destroyed in a fire. These guys have been racing Triumphs on the salt for many years also. I  can get you some contact info if you want...

Randy

Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#4836 A-PBF 750cc(complete)
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2009, 08:38:52 PM »
Justin, my crew chief at speed week last year was invloved in the rebuild of the Triumph powered Texas Ceegar after it was destroyed in a fire. These guys have been racing Triumphs on the salt for many years also. I  can get you some contact info if you want...

Randy

That would be great!  Thank you!  I've seen alot of pictures of that bike.  Nice looker!

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2009, 12:35:57 AM »
i have molds for the Vesco liner i restored and sold to the national motorcycle museum.... i also did drawings for the chassis... i am also finishing molds for the Bob Braverman liner in a few months... both are a round drop tank vintage look....
Kent

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2009, 01:18:17 AM »
i have molds for the Vesco liner i restored and sold to the national motorcycle museum.... i also did drawings for the chassis... i am also finishing molds for the Bob Braverman liner in a few months... both are a round drop tank vintage look....
Kent

Neat lookin bike!

I should be able to get my sketches posted tomorrow.

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2009, 01:58:52 PM »
:-D Double your expected costs, double your projected build time, enjoy your designing and drawing process as well as the fabrication stage. Then (and only then) you will tripple your fun on the salt  8-)

Like to see some pictures of your drawings.  :-)

Terry  :cheers:

Here is a start.  Not sure on the chassis yet.  I was thinking of using a front fork and rear swing arm setup, like I drew.

Any thoughts and/or ideas?

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2009, 05:51:43 PM »
I'm really looking forward to seeing another Triumph streamliner :cheers: I talked to my friend, he said he would contact you. I hope he can set you up with the Triumph guys... http://www.teamtriumphtexas.com/

Ed, Nick and crew know their Triumphs...

Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#4836 A-PBF 750cc(complete)
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2009, 08:10:08 PM »
your probably not gonna want that canopy to extend back beyond the rear bulkhead......
good luck
kent

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2009, 08:47:22 PM »
A vertical stabilizer might be a good idea.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2009, 04:19:34 PM »
A vertical stabilizer might be a good idea.

Do you mean make a fin that goes straight back off the helmet pod?  I was thinking about that.  That helps keep the bike straight at speed, correct?

Thanks guys!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2009, 04:47:45 PM »
That's the idea. You don't want the tail wagging the dog at any speed. Look in the photo section for bikes that have streamlined bodies, talk to guys like Kent that builds them. It don't take a large or tall one just one that works with the air flow. Depending on the speeds you run the parachute must be considered in the air flow as well behind the bike. There are a lot of people on this web site that will help you with your questions. Stay tuned and keep us posted on the build.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2009, 09:07:29 PM »
That's the idea. You don't want the tail wagging the dog at any speed. Look in the photo section for bikes that have streamlined bodies, talk to guys like Kent that builds them. It don't take a large or tall one just one that works with the air flow. Depending on the speeds you run the parachute must be considered in the air flow as well behind the bike. There are a lot of people on this web site that will help you with your questions. Stay tuned and keep us posted on the build.

I'm planning on always running the 250cc Cub engine but maybe different fuels and aspirations later.  So, I'm looking to just crack 200mph, if the moons align!  I was thinking, if you draw a line off the back of the helmet pod, level with the top, and a line straight up from the tip of the rear 'cone' to make the fin, would that be enough or to much?  Could I leave the bottom of the 'cone' open like I had it?  The whole car would be round, and the rear would be a cone shape like I just stated.  Or should get rid of the cone idea and design sometime like Rocky's ride that flattens out?

Offline willieworld

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2009, 09:17:42 PM »
Calkins How much hp does your motor make at the rear wheel                    willie buchta

You have your work cut out for you    http://www.streamliner.com/

http://www.geocities.com/buddfab/buddfab3

« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 09:27:31 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta