Author Topic: Diesel Rule Question  (Read 7833 times)

Offline Dmax65

Re: Diesel Rule Question
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2009, 10:15:37 PM »
Yes, we all had a hard lesson on what a small gap in the bellypan can do. Hope everyone has a chance to double-check their rigs over the off season.

dwarner

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2009, 11:43:12 AM »
I have been kicking around the idea of fences being built into the belly pan at the bulkheads to prevent the problem Lynn experienced. The idea of fire door in the body is also a good idea.

DW

Offline Dmax65

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2009, 03:27:35 PM »
I agree with you on that one Dan, the fire never moved forward until the chutes hit and the liquid moved forward with the negative G-load. Also going on the car right now is the spring loaded doors on the engine compartment large enough to insert the bigger CO2 extinguisher nozzles.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2009, 06:47:09 AM »
Dan,  I agree small drain holes are not enough---I have a reverse scoop just behind the rear axel and have good air flow from header opening to the bottom of car---I need to rethink liquid issue-- will try to have double bulkhead I think.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

McRat

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2009, 10:50:46 AM »
... Boiling of coolant in the right side cylinder head will cause one pair of exhaust seats to droop...leading to exhaust valve being burnt....leading to major damage. We are making the necessary changes to the cooling system [140gpm water pump and larger expansion tank] as well as a major redesign to the heads to promote coolant travel into the exhaust seat area. More intercooling, larger injectors, better fuel, all should make for an exciting season. Lynn is back cracking the whip and the project is picking up steam again.
Hope to see you at the May meet.

I'm not sure if it's exhaust seat dying that causes piston overheating or piston overheating that causes the exhaust valve to croak.  While I've torn down engines that injured pistons with 100% good seats and valves, I haven't seen the opposite yet.  When the aluminum comes off the pistons, it forms a crystalline coating on the valve stems, naturally on the exhaust.  That can cause the valve to stay open a hair and burns it.

Yup, after we drag race Casper on March 7 in Arizona, then we switch the truck back over to LSR mode for El Mirage in May and will try to figure out why it fell asleep at 155mph at El Mirage.  The ABS system, the TCM, and ECM system are all suspects in the crime.  While the computers said everything was hunky dory, it would peak to ~160mph at roughly half track, then fade back to 155mph which is a magic number to the computer.  155 is 255 in metric (kilometers per hour) and the computers are written in metric.  It's kinda cool to watch the speedo at 155mph, it drops back to zero and starts counting all over again.  Wish I could dump the factory computers but that's not happening.  At Bonneville it went 181mph before I had to let out of it (175 speed limit), and on the dyno it ran at 198mph under load.  But at El Mirage with the exact same setup, no dice.

Our goal is to run 200.000000 mph :-D at Speed Week with Casper, finish out the 2009 season, then retire the truck.  It's too heavy for dragracing, too light for sledpulling, and too large for LSR.  It's claim to fame is that it can do all three, and will never be the best at any of them.  Then we will change platforms.  Casper is still under warranty, and we are still making payments on it, which might be unique as well.  The scene when we trade it in at the dealer might make for good comedy, and I'll try to get in on video.  "Yeah, that cage is a factory option..."  :roll:

But then again, I said I would "retire" it if it ever ran an 11 second quarter mile too. So who knows?   :|
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 12:02:31 PM by McRat »