Author Topic: Diesel Rule Question  (Read 7834 times)

RWisner

Re: Diesel Rule Question
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2009, 09:43:24 PM »
Pat

Just because you race your pickup doesn't mean you know what land racing is about. If Curtis is building a truck with in the rules of SCTA then who are you to begrudge him on that. If building an S-10 or any other mid or mini truck with a Duramax engine in it is beyond your capabilities then you should push for a new class or just run what you brung and hope for the best

McRat

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2009, 09:58:23 PM »
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 06:31:44 AM by McRat »

dwarner

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2009, 10:39:29 PM »
Pat,

As I pointed out in my PM. DT is like Gas Coupe. An ehinge swap will get you into the class.

DW

McRat

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2009, 06:25:48 AM »
I apologize if I offended anyone.  Rules aren't made on interwebbythingy.  Yes, I'm a bit frustrated that gasoline pickups are running diesel truck class, but that's not my call to make. 

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2009, 01:18:33 PM »
"interwebbythingy" I was sure you had become the proud inventor of a new word.

I did an Google search and got 1,710 hits.

It's still a good word. I'm sure it runs better on diesel.  :cheers:
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

McRat

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2009, 01:38:36 PM »
"interwebbythingy" I was sure you had become the proud inventor of a new word.

I did an Google search and got 1,710 hits.

It's still a good word. I'm sure it runs better on diesel.  :cheers:

I think Al Gore coined it during a drunken bing at a CO2 convention. :-D

Any hits earlier than 2000?  I started using it back then to make fun of the internet.

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2009, 05:55:48 PM »
A bit off topic, sorry.

Even though they stink, I'm startin' to be impressed with diesel power!

Talked to streamliner designer Gerald Arivett recently -Eyeball Eng electric, Dempsy electric, Haas twin engine 'liner, Goodfellow liner (with driver relocated using the Haas molds) plus a unfinished flathead 'liner in Australia, etc. - Oh yeah and the NHRA - banned streamlined dragster later run by kenny hoover @ Elmo and Muroc.

Anyhow he's developing as a wind tunnel model an awesome design based on the frontal area of a 426-type Chrysler .

How close  would the DuraMax match that frontal area?
I'm thinking,  Lookout, JCB!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

McRat

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2009, 06:09:22 PM »
A bit off topic, sorry.

Even though they stink, I'm startin' to be impressed with diesel power!

Talked to streamliner designer Gerald Arivett recently -Eyeball Eng electric, Dempsy electric, Haas twin engine 'liner, Goodfellow liner (with driver relocated using the Haas molds) plus a unfinished flathead 'liner in Australia, etc. - Oh yeah and the NHRA - banned streamlined dragster later run by kenny hoover @ Elmo and Muroc.

Anyhow he's developing as a wind tunnel model an awesome design based on the frontal area of a 426-type Chrysler .

How close  would the DuraMax match that frontal area?
I'm thinking,  Lookout, JCB!

I'm willing to bet that anywhere you can stuff a 426 Hemi, you can cram a Duramax.  Bet it's within two inches.  There is always the Cummins common engine as well, which is much narrower.

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2009, 06:19:59 PM »
Food for thought.

Almost forgot about the Cummins.

Wonder whatever happend to the old Markley 'liner I saw at Gale Banks a few years back . The plan then was to put, I believe a Cummins or whatever the 200 mph truck had, in it.

He's tight with GMC now, so maybe something is pending- although pretty far down the list of GM priorities these days.

They've probably asked Banks for a loan!

McRat

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2009, 06:32:02 PM »
Looks like 29" wide at the heads using a tape measure in the driveway. 

Banks is currently running a diesel drag truck, and finishing up on a diesel rail dragster.  If they have any LSR plans, they aren't going public. 

The beauty behind the Dmax is you can use off-the-shelf parts, and putting together a reliable 500hp powerplant is actually not that expensive.  It's the next 500hp that kills you.  Budget about $8,000-$10,000 for a used engine, harness, computer, tuning tools, datalogging tools.  A 1000hp (crankshaft) engine will set you back about $25,000.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 06:33:56 PM by McRat »

Offline Bville701

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2009, 06:42:05 PM »
Looks like 29" wide at the heads using a tape measure in the driveway. 

Banks is currently running a diesel drag truck, and finishing up on a diesel rail dragster.  If they have any LSR plans, they aren't going public. 

The beauty behind the Dmax is you can use off-the-shelf parts, and putting together a reliable 500hp powerplant is actually not that expensive.  It's the next 500hp that kills you.  Budget about $8,000-$10,000 for a used engine, harness, computer, tuning tools, datalogging tools.  A 1000hp (crankshaft) engine will set you back about $25,000.

I heard that Banks was looking to run the diesel streamliner, but when the JCB liner came out they never really spoke of that quest again.
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2009, 07:03:41 PM »
Thanx for info, McRat and 701.

25 big ones isn't all that bad when you, until the "crash", that is, see 100's of Super Comp drag racers stepping up to the plate for 1000 HP motors at that price to run 8.90 with the necessary throttle stops, delay boxes, etc.

BORE-ING!

No criticism intended to his impressive operation, but Banks wisely saw the handwriting on the wall when JCB announced its' effort.

Personally, I'da never thought a backhoe motor would run 350!

McRat

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2009, 07:05:29 PM »
Thanx for info, McRat and 701.

25 big ones isn't all that bad when you, until the "crash", that is, see 100's of Super Comp drag racers stepping up to the plate for 1000 HP motors at that price to run 8.90 with the necessary throttle stops, delay boxes, etc.

BORE-ING!

No criticism intended to his impressive operation, but Banks wisely saw the handwriting on the wall when JCB announced its' effort.

Personally, I'da never thought a backhoe motor would run 350!

I think JCB's record will fall.  I believe if Goodfellow didn't encounter problems he would have capped it.

Offline Dmax65

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2009, 08:43:27 PM »
Pat,
You're not too far off....front wheel speed was north of 360 mph about 13 seconds before the timed mile on his last run and still climbing steadily. We unfortunatly had the same issue we experienced in the off-shore boat program after they would be at WOT for long periods of time. Boiling of coolant in the right side cylinder head will cause one pair of exhaust seats to droop...leading to exhaust valve being burnt....leading to major damage. We are making the necessary changes to the cooling system [140gpm water pump and larger expansion tank] as well as a major redesign to the heads to promote coolant travel into the exhaust seat area. More intercooling, larger injectors, better fuel, all should make for an exciting season. Lynn is back cracking the whip and the project is picking up steam again.
Hope to see you at the May meet.

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2009, 09:23:51 PM »
And you Goodfellow folks are going to seal the firewall better from the engine compartment  I hope!

I'm thinking high pressure cockpit air, low pressure engine compartment exits -to the rear, naturally.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 09:28:31 PM by interested bystander »