Author Topic: Diesel Rule Question  (Read 7832 times)

Offline Dean Los Angeles

Diesel Rule Question
« on: February 14, 2009, 05:21:52 PM »
For Diesel Truck it says superchargers and turbos are allowed

Unlimited Diesel Truck, Modified Diesel Truck, and Highway Hauler don't say. Legal?
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

dwarner

Re: Diesel Rule Question
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 06:05:08 PM »
Any truck that has run in those three classes has had a blower of some sort.
Legal?
Yes

DW

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 06:20:08 PM »
And since we are on the topic, how come there is no check box for diesel on the entry form?
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

McRat

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 06:21:54 PM »
The way I read it, in DT class it must be representative of a Diesel Pickup that is sold through normal dealer networks, OEM based. If it wasn't a diesel pickup when manufactured, it's not a diesel pickup.  All current diesel pickups sold are turbocharged, either single or twin turbo.

dwarner

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 06:24:21 PM »
Dean,

Please see post immediately above.

DW

Offline Dmax65

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 07:34:04 PM »
I don't read the rule like that...didn't see a Cummins available in a Dakota. I am building a S-10 with a A-B-and C Duramax engine. It's still a diesel truck DT isn't it?

McRat

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 07:58:57 PM »
I don't read the rule like that...didn't see a Cummins available in a Dakota. I am building a S-10 with a A-B-and C Duramax engine. It's still a diesel truck DT isn't it?

The Dakota ran FIA.  It would not have been legal for SCTA/BNI, and did not run there.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 08:02:44 PM by McRat »

dwarner

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 08:00:05 PM »
Beat me to it Pat.

DW

McRat

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 08:13:37 PM »

Curtis, personal challenge:

Show up at Bonneville with a real production diesel pickup, like me and Bill Heath did.  Let's see who has the fastest real diesel pickup truck.  Single charger?  I'm good with that.  You make the terms, and I'll rock and roll.

Offline Dmax65

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 08:21:30 PM »
That record stood in the SCTA rule book for how many years? Now it's held by a Powerstroke in a Ford Ranger..again not a production combination. Didn't Hooker-Graham-Hooker run a Chevy Luv? Pat if you want to be the fastest production truck with a single turbo I applaud your efforts. If you want to post the fastest possible speeds achievable under the rules allowed....then smaller and slippery might be better.
Curtis

McRat

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 08:32:20 PM »
All I will say at this point, is that I will run by whatever rules are required for me to run. 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 08:41:15 PM by McRat »

dwarner

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 08:43:51 PM »
Pat,

The class started with Jim Hooker's Luv Truck with a Cummins. The class has used full size and mid/minis since its inception. The rules do not state that the truck MUST be as OEM. The rules do state "...represent typical diesel pickups...". Maybe a rewrite is in order.

Your input to the rules committee last year for a new class did not pass because of resistance to add new classes. I think a slight modification to the existing rules might be in order. I'll help you, lets talk.

Curtis and his S-10 are just as legal for class as your full size truck.

DW

Offline Dmax65

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 08:45:02 PM »
Pat,
Who are you to say what Diesel Pickup Truck racing is about?? This is the essence of what Bonneville Racing is about. You pick a class and you build a vehicle that can go as fast as possible within the rules of that class. FYI - When Gale set his record it was at the 2004 October World Finals. SCTA was sanctioning the event, tech inspecting the vehicles and certifying the records. That truck did pass SCTA tech as a pickup with a diesel engine swap...just like the rule book says. Same can be said for the Hypermax/Spal truck. If you don't agree with the outcome of the rules interpretations...perhaps there should be a production class for DT?  Also, a mini truck isn't a short-cut...it's a lower coefficient of drag. That's what going fast is all about.

McRat

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2009, 09:00:03 PM »
Pat,
Who are you to say what Diesel Pickup Truck racing is about?? ...

Because I actually race my diesel pickups.   :evil:

Love you!  :-D

Offline Dmax65

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2009, 09:03:36 PM »
Nite Pat...Happy Valentines Day.
Love you 2