Author Topic: SCTA legal leathers mc classes  (Read 17943 times)

landracing

SCTA legal leathers mc classes
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2005, 12:29:11 PM »
I see the "limited" word being the part from keeping you from running....

Whats limited?... be specific that is the only answer.... Because when I am told I am limited by my wife, we don't have the same thoughts.....

I see scott made right call and got all cow, that way there is no question...

Jon

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Perfection out of control
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2005, 02:32:06 PM »
Is the hole counter the same person as the burn pervention type ?
"Are We spending all our energy moving in circles to stay under the flag when We should studying the weather ?"
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

RODaly

Starting line issues
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2005, 05:45:52 PM »
I agree that there have been some differences between what is seen at  Tech Inspection and the starting line but I personally have not observed or engaged in favoritism.  There have been instances where a few competitors have shown the tech inspectors correct helmets, gloves, boots and leathers, to get past tech inspection, and then have been on the starting line with different gear.  But, we've heard you and we'll have a couple of new processes to reduce these types of problems.  

First, we have a new way to identify approved leathers to the Starter, similar to the helmet sticker.  The Starter has been checking for the approved leathers at the two El Mirage meets and the system has worked well.

Second, we will have a M/C tech inspector assigned to the starting line to eyeball every motorcycle and rider.  Last year at Bonneville, in addition to the improper riding gear, we found a fairing on an open bike and several other infractions.

If we find a violation at the starting line, the entry will not be allowed to make that run and will have to report back to M/C Tech for further discussion.

Hank

Re: Starting line issues
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2005, 06:32:44 PM »
Quote from: RODaly
I agree that there have been some differences between what is seen at  Tech Inspection and the starting line but I personally have not observed or engaged in favoritism.  There have been instances where a few competitors have shown the tech inspectors correct helmets, gloves, boots and leathers, to get past tech inspection, and then have been on the starting line with different gear.  But, we've heard you and we'll have a couple of new processes to reduce these types of problems.  

First, we have a new way to identify approved leathers to the Starter, similar to the helmet sticker.  The Starter has been checking for the approved leathers at the two El Mirage meets and the system has worked well.

Second, we will have a M/C tech inspector assigned to the starting line to eyeball every motorcycle and rider.  Last year at Bonneville, in addition to the improper riding gear, we found a fairing on an open bike and several other infractions.

If we find a violation at the starting line, the entry will not be allowed to make that run and will have to report back to M/C Tech for further discussion.

That sounds great.Last year,I had 3 sets "teched" as ok when I teched the bike.By the end of the meet,I had been told all 3 were disallowed.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
REMARKABLE
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2005, 12:28:51 AM »
I think I see a pattern.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

landracing

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2005, 02:09:31 PM »
Russ,

You might want to rethink that. Because for instance, maybe a guy has done all he could in an open bike class so he throws a fairing on it and just wants to make a pass. So you are going to send him back after waiting in line. I dont see send him back to pits is the answer, maybe make a notation at the line and ask him his intentions. If its just to make passes for bonneville experience you should let him run without a qualifing attempt, just to make runs. Now if it is a safety issue, YES by all means send back and have correct it. BUt if a guy is just experimenting and playing around you should let a person run for the hell of it to get the Bonneville experience he wants.....

Jon

Offline joea

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2005, 04:51:45 PM »
yes Scott, I said (and meant) minimal perforations are part
of the new rules, meaning, there is a limit to it, or no perforations..

much of the injury is from heat from steam, thats why I was
not fond of completely occlusive solid leathers

and with other more abrasion resistant material than leather
available, I had hoped it could also be incorporated...

as far as running something other than what the class allows,
possibly, then the starter should be informed, prior at run, so
that there is no doubt about, not running for a record...

that way experimentation could be facilitated, and doubts of
honesty alleviated

I know some say its all fun, and no money involved..............

Joe :)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Is anybody counting ?
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2005, 06:23:57 PM »
With 44 responses and hundreds of views , spread over 2 months, is the answer buttons ?

Offline k.h.

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2005, 07:00:58 PM »
My old road race one-piece suit has vertical zippers on both front and back of the torso section, 12" long on the front on each side of the center zipper, 8" long each on each side of the back, which open to a perforated leather gusset.  Useful in the heat.  I can't get the back zippers all the way closed without assistance or contorting into a pretzel, but almost.  Maybe if they were lower.  No other perforations.  Will a vent system like this pass tech with the zippers closed?

Or maybe buttons that require button hooks.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2005, 08:05:52 PM »
Hey guys
Got my leather people working on a new set for me right now and they responded the same way we all are to the rules. Today I drew up a perforation pattern and e-mailed it to Russ ODaly for blessing. His response was that Tom Evans had a ?rule of thumb? he was using. Basically Tom's unwritten rule of thumb is that the total area of perforation should be covered by one hand! Location is limited to armpits and behind the knees. The size and amount of holes is still up to inspector blessing. Some light humored discussion came up if they would allow some perforations in the bottom rear of the leather to vent natural body functions. Compressed methane gas might be a different sort of hazard. Usually our rules follow some disaster. Guess we'll have to wait till someone literally blows their ass off to get crotch ventilation.

Offline joea

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2005, 10:01:38 PM »
the total area governed by the hand estimation is
concerning........

whats the current minumum thickness...........

landracing

Re: SCTA legal leathers mc classes
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2005, 01:26:13 PM »
Quote from: rdugan
i showed it to tom evans at an el mirage meet and he told me that if you can cover the perf area with your hand, it'll pass, although it doesn't say that in the rules, so YMMV.  

Great one Randy, Ill find another Andre "The Giant" his hands will cover my whole chest.... So who has the official "hand" and can I get measurments.

That doesn't solve diddly, thats worse then "some perforations" allowed.

Jon

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2005, 01:55:59 PM »
Hush joe, I dont want a safety conscious tech inspector cutting the liner out of my leathers to measure the thickness with a yard stick. Kinda like how they use to measure displacement with a pump. or how they use to check gas. I remember the first El-Mirage when Randy Nelson loaned the SCTA his electronic gas checker, the tech director's (Dale Martin) gas didnt pass!!! Said he just filled it up at the Arco station (yeh right) The SCTA car boys ran out and bought one of the new fangled devices, but to date havent returned or offer to pay for Randy's checker. Any how, the point is the bike tech committee have well oiled brains and feel they have some sort of obgiation to come in and screw up, I meen change, all of our rules that have been just fine for 50 years. Just look at the '05 rule book, thier are hardly any changes in the car rules section, but be astonished at the motorcycle rules every page but 1 (page99) has a bold change!!!!! Lets not give these guys any gas for the fire..

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
More rules, less understood is a funny.
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2005, 02:56:51 PM »
If you don't or can't enforce a basic rule, more is not the answer.

Offline joea

« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2005, 06:32:53 PM »
please............more is better and too much is just enough........

its the American way............

Joe