Author Topic: SCTA legal leathers mc classes  (Read 17945 times)

Offline joea

Re: SCTA legal leathers mc classes
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2005, 02:10:00 PM »
my plan is to run a really small fuel
 tank in alt class (less than 1.3 gallons)...

I really liked wearing CarbonX underwear last year as well

if any one know of any other abrasion/heat barrrier/burn resistant garb that can be
 worn under leathers, please let me know......

Joe

landracing

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2005, 08:05:00 PM »
I thought about safety and fires on bikes, I am going to be purchasing a set of nomex underwear like Joe did, but I have installed a firefox wet system on my bike just in case for additional safety. Just dont make it mandatory, choice is good.

Jon

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2005, 02:28:00 AM »
Jon's burns were a result of steam burns from sweat under his leathers--this was posted by him in another similar thread last year.So it had nothing to do with perforations or fuel getting throught the perforations.The burns would have likely happened with any leathers.We get similar burns when we get too much heat and the sweat under our turnout turns to steam.
 Besides,fuel next to your skin is not going to burn,remember it's the vapors that burn and not gonna be any with the proper mix of air between your leathers and skin.
 Nomex and similar modern fabrics are your friends when it comes to fire and should be encouraged,not prohibited.What do you think firemen wear--Nomex turnouts,nomex hoods,etc.
 Leather is NOT fire resistant or retardent.
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

AlanGalbraith

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2005, 11:10:00 PM »
dumb rule. No basis in reality. Nomex underwear are the answer but dont make your MotoGP legal leathers legal.

some pass some dont, yes its an art... but unwritten rules suck...

landracing

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2005, 02:31:00 AM »
You by chance wouldn't mean there is favortism at all would you, and I would think the written rules should be followed before cleaning up the unwritten ones.  This picture taken Sept 19, 2004.

Picture of Leathers before leaving starting line

Jon

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2005, 03:25:00 AM »
Choppers are harmless, NO ?
 It is OK to make a mistake, it can be corrected and forgiven right away.
 An exception better have a good defence and a plan to fix it right away.
 A lie is forever, and unlike a mistake or exception, it is discovered right away and can't be fixed ever.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2005, 11:52:00 PM »
Jon,precisely the leathers I refered to earlier.That shot must have been after they pulled the jacket down so his t-shirt did not show.
 Selective application of the rules----
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2005, 01:00:00 AM »
If he crashed, the armpit protection would unequaled.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

bak189

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2005, 12:26:00 PM »
Run the BUB event....and wear your Moto-GP leathers.....AMA and FIM approved (but I would still wear a Nomex suit under)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2005, 01:41:00 PM »
John Minnono is the burn victim that was suppose to be addressed in the most recent round of riding protection clothing rules. He is one of the most experienced and fastest open bike riders on the Salt. He was certainly riding a high risk machine. No one suffered any more than he did with the burns. He took steps to reduce the risk and found a latest technology carbon-x under garment to go with his abrasion resistant leathers. I trust his judgement more than most to work towards a  resolution. The risk is still high for a lot of things but all of us are obligated to do our best.
 One of the problems among others is the rule was written by persons that have never directly experienced the problem or properly respond to it. John was never contacted by them and the selective application of duct tape certainly does not begin to address the real problem.
 That is the real problem and the picture shown is well known to everyone and is an example of the lack of supervision. If you want representation from the riding community it should include your immediate call to question if you see something like the 2 piece armpit rider that may not be at fault but is still the ultimate victim.
 I don't have to be very nice about it, so I won't.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2005, 02:58:00 PM »
Jack
 I was one of the 1st ones to John, He was hurting and almost bailed to get away from the fire. A tough decision to make at around 250 mph. Jump or ride it out, what is the worst way to go. He made the decision to ride it out. That took guts.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2005, 08:13:20 PM »
Quote from: landracing
You by chance wouldn't mean there is favortism at all would you, and I would think the written rules should be followed before cleaning up the unwritten ones.  This picture taken Sept 19, 2004.

Picture of Leathers before leaving starting line

Jon

A number of pepple told Me who the picture was of at the Bonneville staeting line.
They made a funny.
But We all agreed it was not funny or even a good idea.
I sat on the information for a while to see how many I heard from and from who.
It happened at El Mirage again this weekend and seems to be more confused than ever.

Offline joea

SCTA legal leathers mc classes
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2005, 12:07:42 PM »
make sure it has minimal perforations for venting as well,
thats part of the new rules also..........not really fond
of that and its promotin  of moisture and trapping of STEAM either.............

Joe

Offline joea

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2005, 11:29:48 PM »
I hear ya Scott.................

if a racer carries his or her "ballast" on
their person..........are leathers considered
as an acceptable means of "securely mounted"?

Joe :)

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2005, 01:43:02 AM »
Joe,I am looking at the rulebook and it says--limited perforations are allowed(not required)in the armpit and the back of the knee.No cloth panels allowed.