Author Topic: SCTA legal leathers mc classes  (Read 17942 times)

Offline jssport

• New folks
    • http://groups.yahoo.com/group/snyderisanazzhole/
SCTA legal leathers mc classes
« on: April 21, 2005, 12:11:00 PM »
My leathers won't pass the newer SCTA rules.

What manufacture has a "off the rack" legal suit.

model ??

Oh ya,the 5 liter rule for ALT class is STUPID.

...and the 6 inches from axle footpegs is UNSAFE.

I'd say make ALT a wheelbase and seat height requirement ONLY.

Offline firemanjim

Re: SCTA legal leathers mc classes
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 01:18:00 PM »
Jim,I went out and bought 2 sets of leathers last year just because of these stupid rules.1 for me ,1 for my son.Granted they were used,but an unnecessary expense.So imagine my surprise while sitting in staging lines to see racres with duct tape covering their fabric areas and being told it passed tech--even worse was they were told to do it at tech.As all of this new rule was supposed to be about fire safety, Ifail to see how having duct tape was going to help as it would certainly melt.(25+ years in the fire service so don't try to question my experience)I will take kevlar --the favored fabric in question any time over duct tape.What do you think our turnouts are made of?My partner had corresponded with tech for months seeking guidance on getting his near new leathers to pass and was told that his idea of stitching some leather patches inside to cover the fabric areas was acceptable.That is until we went throught the tech line and they told him no,and did not bother to pass on the duct tape method even though I was standing there with a roll in my hands doing last minute number taping.He ended up using my leathers at first,then just taped his.
 And then ,even better,I watched an old school Harley racer get down on his bike and his 2 piece suit had no zipper to hold it together.So just bring your roll of tape.
 And don't forget to mention that the 200 MPH club minimums are exclusionary.
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

rdugan

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 02:21:00 PM »
my $800 custom suit (totally perforated) was also rendered illegal by that change.  

i found a cheap all-leather two-piece ($250) that just has perfs behind the knees and all down inside the arms.  i showed it to tom evans at an el mirage meet and he told me that if you can cover the perf area with your hand, it'll pass, although it doesn't say that in the rules, so YMMV.  

anyway, i didn't have to do anything to the pants since the perf-behind-the-knee area was small.  however he told me to sew or glue leather over the holes insides of the arms.  no problems passing after i did that. i still think the rule blows, however.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 02:36:00 PM »
You seem upset.
 Exclusion / protection is an art and developed with a lot of practice.
 That is different than going fast with the best shot at safe.
 A 2 piece suit is the best protection you are likely to get for your arm pits.
 Remember when you take duct tape and bless it with the term "RACER" it covers a multitude if sins.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline yamagamma

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005, 03:00:00 PM »
After hearing the details of Jon's fire and then Joe's, I'd like to thank the SCTA for introducing this rule. Fires are a lot more prelevant in Land Speed than crashes, and personally I don't want fuel penetrating my leathers, especially in the crotch area!!!! I had my "off the peg" Fieldshears modified for just a $100. Panels glued and sewn inside the perforations. No big deal and passed tech no problem. I also invested in a set of CarbonX underwear from Speedway. Again $120 to save your skin is cheap. The wife was so happy, she even paid the bill! I've also invested in a Halon extinguisher.Foresight sometimes works better than hindsight.
 Shane
 ------------------------------------------
 "old enough to know better"
Never underestimate an old guy on a Yamaha!

rdugan

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2005, 03:17:00 PM »
my fuel tank is behind my foot.  why can't i have perfs on my arms?

Offline jssport

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2005, 04:22:00 PM »
OK .. OK

So should I just show up with my old leathers and a roll of dict,.. I mean duct tape?

What off the rack leathers are legal ?

Fireman Jim,... What leathers did you get ?

JimS

<small>[ April 21, 2005, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: Jim Snyder ]</small>

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2005, 04:32:00 PM »
Just remember guys, when you go out the back door on fire, the safety crew has to first see your on fire, than start the safety truck, and finally try to catch up with you, before they can even start to try saving your ass.  More is better.......
Bob Drury

Offline jssport

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2005, 06:02:00 PM »
Bob and Shane,.. et all..

I am concerned about my safety and the safety of all others also.

The leather suit rule does not address fire protection nor does it offer any safety advantages.

My leather race suit is leagal for world championship MotoGP racing where speeds are close to 200 mph each and every lap and those bikes actually have to turn on the brakes and under acceleration.

... and somehow yet they are not sufficient to power down a straight line on an open dry lake bed?

Sorry Scotty but I gotta ask ?

WHY ?

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2005, 08:25:00 PM »
The GP course can fit in the pits at Bonneville.
 How far, how long are you on your own at Bonneville ?
 Burns are faster than even bikes.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

4janey2

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2005, 08:35:00 PM »
If you go out the back door on the long course at 200+ MPH and then stop, how long will it take the rescue crew to get to you at 75 MPH?

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2005, 09:29:00 PM »
I was on the rescue of the two people mentioned. One thing for sure they were hot fires and the one rider was hurting. Remember leather srinks when heated making it even harder to get undressed for treatment. For us old guys that saw several drivers burnt at the drags wearing leather it is something you don't want to wittness,ugly site. Myself,if I was a rider of a fast gas or fuel bike I would wear nomax under my leathers. The heat from the protection only lasts during the run burns are a lot longer.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Snail

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2005, 02:36:00 AM »
I got a custom vansen suit made.  I'd rather spend money on safety gear than rehab.

Offline jssport

• New folks
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2005, 11:22:00 AM »
How much did that cost you Snail, what model ?

"got a custom vansen suit made"

Ken Walkey

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2005, 12:25:00 PM »
Someone mentioned they had just bought a new Halon system for their bike. Halon was designed to remove oxy.(air) from a "closed area", such as the closed computer cabinets when they were 4ft. cube. Keep in mind on an open bike, or open engine area of a street roadster, etc.,Halon really does not do very well. I would suggest you use a liquid type fire extinguisher for an open enviroment. there are several on the market, Fire Fox, Cold Fire, etc. The liquid will stay, maybe even soak in the leathers. just something to consider. Thanks for listening.