Author Topic: Coker Firestone Indy tires:  (Read 12562 times)

Online Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Coker Firestone Indy tires:
« on: February 10, 2009, 12:52:02 PM »
Looking thru the lates Coker catalog and they are offering replicas of the 50-60s Firestone Indy car tire. The catalog says "an exact copy" so I called and asked what their speed rating was and Doug at Coker said that they would not put any type of speed rating on them for obvious reasons but that the tires are "exact" copies of the Firestone Indy tires with more modern materials. That being said if you look at the "Old Bonneville pictures" thread you will see lots of cars with these tires. Wonder what would need to be done to get the SCTA to approve?

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline willieworld

Re: Coker Firestone Indy tires:
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 12:57:35 PM »
 Rex     What sizes do they come in ?

Thanks   Willie Buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 01:06:37 PM »
I've been told the old Indy 18" start chunking at about 230. Maybe if these were shaved they might last at higher speeds.
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Online Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 01:41:43 PM »
Willie, The catalog says 760-16, which are 29.75 inch dia and 800-18 which are 31.25 dia.

Tony,
I would agree that if you shaved them they might be good 200 mph tires.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

dwarner

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 02:02:25 PM »
These tires have been discussed by the tech people. As far as I know the tires will not be approved for competition. You could ask the question at:

rulebookinfo@scta-bni.org

The Coker catelogs used to say "for display only" or some such thing.

DW

Offline RichFox

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 03:05:36 PM »
I called a couple of times. Talked to some guy who was supposed to know what was up. When I told him that the real things had been used on a car that went 400 (Al) he told me that any car running at 400 would fly. It was not possable. The next guy I spoke to said they were made in the same molds but were 4 ply. I told him that the original tires were 8 or 10 I thought. He said they must have been truck tires. He did believe the tires were limited to 130 max and said he would look into it and get back to me. Not yet.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 04:28:32 PM »
Coker tires are made for vintage tin. I wouldn't use any of their tires over 150.

"Exact copy" Just like the "real" Rolex you can buy for $15. They definitely mean exact copy of the looks not exact copy of the construction.

They are not in the racing business despite the "racing" tires they list in the catalog.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

McRat

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 05:05:18 PM »
Are there any approved LSR tires larger than 30"?

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 11:24:01 PM »

several.... look at a couple of the big rigs using large aircraft tires.  Read a little about the Phoenix, there is a thread with links in General Chat
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

McRat

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 01:58:58 PM »

several.... look at a couple of the big rigs using large aircraft tires.  Read a little about the Phoenix, there is a thread with links in General Chat

I believe I'd have to run the aircraft tires through the approval process.  At $1000 each, and about the same for getting custom 2-piece wheels made to hold them plus another thousand for testing, it is way beyond my resources.  It's still very interesting, and they come in a huge assortment of different sizes. 

My fantasy tire would be 34" tall on a 16-18" rim, but that means aircraft only.

My guess is I will be running the Mickey Thompson 30" tires and just have to change the axles to get enough gear.  A 32"+ tire will give me 200mph capability without putting lightweight axles under it.  Nice thing about our trucks, is that the 11.5" ring and pinion is pretty much indestructible, but guys who have played with 12-bolts, 9" Fords, and quick changes have destroyed them in diesel applications.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 02:22:21 PM »
Several years ago Les Liggett ran tall aircraft tires on his lakester at El Mirage. Results were not worth the effort. I don't remember if he tried them on the salt. Maybe Dan can remember.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

McRat

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 02:49:54 PM »
Several years ago Les Liggett ran tall aircraft tires on his lakester at El Mirage. Results were not worth the effort. I don't remember if he tried them on the salt. Maybe Dan can remember.

Do you remember if he had mechanical problems with the tires?  We are looking to go 225mph maximum.

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 03:11:06 PM »
McRat
If you did a lighter weight rear axle just for Bonneville I don't believe you will have a problem with the smaller gears.  Being traction limited on the salt and having gobbs of torque, I'm guessing that will be your problem.  Just blowing off the tires.

Now, an interesting idea might be DRW with LSR 28" GY tires  In my time on the salt, I have not seen this done, but    ?  Who knows.

Rick
Rick

McRat

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 03:26:33 PM »
McRat
If you did a lighter weight rear axle just for Bonneville I don't believe you will have a problem with the smaller gears.  Being traction limited on the salt and having gobbs of torque, I'm guessing that will be your problem.  Just blowing off the tires.

Now, an interesting idea might be DRW with LSR 28" GY tires  In my time on the salt, I have not seen this done, but    ?  Who knows.

Rick

Yes, we might be forced to swap axles.  Goodyear only makes 15" wheel tires, which won't fit our axles.  Even 16" is very tight.

It would be cool to run a Dually setup just for the Blingus Maximus factor.  :-D

But the "interesting" part of our truck I think is that it ran Sled-pulling, Drag-racing, Towing, and LSR-racing with very little (any?) changes other than tires.  So if I can keep it in Swiss Army Knife configuration, it would be cool.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2009, 03:31:29 PM »
When Banks set the FIA record in the Dodge-Cummins truck he blew the whole back off the quick change. Left a bunch of scrap on the course. We had a long clean up.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah