Author Topic: BNI Motorcycle P-PS clarification  (Read 9575 times)

Offline Dean Los Angeles

Re: BNI Motorcycle P-PS clarification
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 11:57:28 PM »
If you look at the entry form it requests a body code that is a number. It is how they make sure the letter designation doesn't confuse everybody.

Whoops! Too late! 

Body code 425 is P-P and is Production Frame - Production Engine
Body code 427 is P-PB and is Production Frame - Production Engine Supercharged. There is a PS classification for partially streamlined in other classes so they use "B" for blown to designate supercharged/turbo.

The basic rule for production is that it must be "Stock External Appearance". What ever came on that make/model/year has to remain on it and can't be changed. The OEM cylinders, heads, crankcases, carbs, etc.

What can't be seen can be modified. REALLY modified. Plan on a full race setup on the internals.

So there is both PS and PB in the book but both refer to a Production Turbocharged engine.

I just checked the online records for Bonneville and El Mirage and there are no P-PS listings.

The P-P 175 record is 96.642 and was set in 1975.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2009, 01:41:52 AM »
In the 2007 rule book (the last book the minimums were published in) there is a P-PS for every class. There is no P-PB. However, there is a classification for the P-PB.

Since the minimums are no longer published, you will not know what they are until you get to Elmo and find someone who can show you the list.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2009, 03:44:20 AM »
don
the minimums are no secret and quite easy to find... they are taped to the top of the counter at the motorcycle tech trailer.
Kent

dwarner

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2009, 09:09:59 AM »
Also available on the website:

www.scta-bni.org

DW

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2009, 09:28:38 AM »
No minimums at Bonneville Kyle, if the record is open, whatever you run is a record, as long as you are class legal.   8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2009, 09:51:17 AM »
  read the rulebook enough that you can pretty much recite
it from memory(what pertains to your class[es]; it may help in the long run.
  finish your bike.
then have fun, go fast and stop safe.

franey

bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2009, 11:57:34 AM »
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline bigmellon

• New folks
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2009, 02:47:23 PM »
OK - I am getting somewhere. 

Since there are no factory turbocharged bikes handy in these classes - Can you help me figure out where they would fit at BNI?

I am thinking of adding a turbo to a basicly stock bike.  It wouldn't hurt to lengthen the swingarm a little while we are at it.  maybe even shave off the turn signals to reduce drag.  Do I need to stay under 10% additional swingarm length?  The engine is an overhead cam, not pushrod. 

I assume this would be M-BG = Modified frame, Blown gas engine?

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2009, 02:59:07 PM »
please tell us what the bike is you intend to race so we can help
Kent

Offline bigmellon

• New folks
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2009, 03:10:22 PM »
It is a Chinese imported motorcycle.

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2009, 03:47:00 PM »
:roll:  modifiedish blownish non-pushrod class.

But seriously, if you want more then a general answer, which you've already been given, you're going to need to provide more then just a general/vague description of your bike. Chinese import is pretty much a useless answer if you're trying to get help deciding what class. I'm not sure if its that you don't want to give up your big secret or if it's cause you think we won't know the bike but either way, we can't help if you won't be specific.  :?

Debbie

Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline bigmellon

• New folks
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2009, 04:19:31 PM »
:roll:  modifiedish blownish non-pushrod class.

But seriously, if you want more then a general answer, which you've already been given, you're going to need to provide more then just a general/vague description of your bike. Chinese import is pretty much a useless answer if you're trying to get help deciding what class. I'm not sure if its that you don't want to give up your big secret or if it's cause you think we won't know the bike but either way, we can't help if you won't be specific.  :?

Debbie

No offense, but PLEASE read my prior post.  I plan to add a turbo charger to a mostly stock bike.  Maybe lengthen the swingarm, and shave the turn signals.  The info has already been posted. 

Offline bigmellon

• New folks
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2009, 04:21:20 PM »
we can't help if you won't be specific.  :?

The motorcycle is a Dayang 150cc.  How is that for specific?

Offline willieworld

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2009, 04:59:59 PM »
Bigmellon   you must have the DY150 --it has a 150cc non pushrod motor--if you bolt on a blower (turbo) that would put you in the bg or bf class (blown gas -blown fuel ) and the 175cc class so in the modified class you could run m-bg  or m-bf  if you add streamlining in front of the rider you would run in the mps-bg or mps-bf ( modified partially streamlined --blown gas or fuel ). There are some things you can do that you cant do in production ---you can extend the wheelbase 10% over OEM----original lights, instruments, fender, gas and oil tank, seat,forks, swingarm, shocks, brakes and wheels are optional  footrests have to be 6 inches in front of the rear axle   you have to have a chain guard   and there are some other rules about streamlining, exhaust and fenders but that should pretty much give you an idea of what you are in for   what you really need to do is buy a rule book   an '09 preferably but they are not out yet   an '08 if you can find one and the rule changes for '09 are posted on the scta website   hope this helps---------mellon you would run in the 175cc class---if you bore or stroke the engine to 175cc you are still allowed a .020 in. overbore over the 175cc limit but cant claim the .020 in. bore to move you into the next higher class   -willie

willie buchta
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 10:53:04 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2009, 08:26:46 PM »
I don't have one handy, but if you look at the 2008 SCTA rule book in the record section you will likely find a P-PS record or two that never got changed over when the designator's did

PS is "partial streamlined"

I just checked the online records for Bonneville and El Mirage and there are no P-PS listings.

i looked through the bonneville records and the el mirage records and minimums and there is no p-ps

Kent, Dean and Willie.. you may want to go look in your libraries again (I finally had a chance to take a look in my SCTA rulebooks).

You'll find in the 2008 SCTA Rules and Records book, on page 126, in the 500cc class, on the 24th line down, that Gary Webb used his Honda at Speedweek of 2003 to go 127+mph to beat his record from 2002 when he went 101+mph which beat his own record again from 2001 when he went 91+mph.

So YES, as originally stated...
There is CURRENTLY a record in the 2008 rulebook listed with a P-PS designator for Production - Production Supercharged!
Todd