Author Topic: Should N.A.S. Cars run in Special Construction Streamliner Class  (Read 6997 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Should N.A.S. Cars run in Special Construction Streamliner Class
« on: February 05, 2009, 11:20:07 AM »
I re-read the rule book and think we have a place to run all the cup cars.... Streamliner....
Since they are not based on any production vehicle, and don 't use any production parts, they fit Special Construction, and since the wheels are faired, Streaminer...
Bring 'em out boys, you can race them if they meet the other safety requirements...

(disclaimer... I don't represent the scta, their opinion may vary)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Stan Back

Re: Should N.A.S. Cars run in Special Construction Streamliner Class
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 11:23:42 AM »
Stainless --

Great idea, but they should bring their own hats -- they won't be getting any.

Stan Back
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 11:28:22 AM »
Maybe I forgot to put this smiley in the title  :evil: 
it might be the way to settle the problem forever...  :-o
 :cheers: 

Added, not original to me but it did light a spark in my brain
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 11:30:26 AM by Stainless1 »
Stainless

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 12:15:01 PM »
yep, let em come.... and make sure they bring that one tooth they have...so they can share it between themselves at the buffet! hahahahahaha hey wanna see a 10 second nascar race? hahahahahahaha
Kent

McRat

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 12:25:38 PM »
All kidding aside, one thing you can say for the oval track cars is that they have proven rollcage designs.   
I wanted to run a Craftsman series truck in diesel classes due to their extensively tested rollcages, but even though the Craftsman truck is larger and less aero in all dimensions than what is normally used (minitrucks), they aren't allowed.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I saw a class for oval track cars, but only "open wheel" cars.

Offline DallasV

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 12:32:30 PM »
I say YES. I believe this would put them in C/GS @ 323.462 MPH. Dave Spangler and the Vesco team should be shaking in thier boots.
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 12:38:11 PM »
Dallas, we will do a better tune up on the 444 car this year and give them a better (faster) number to run for.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 12:43:23 PM »
All kidding aside, one thing you can say for the oval track cars is that they have proven rollcage designs.   
I wanted to run a Craftsman series truck in diesel classes due to their extensively tested rollcages, but even though the Craftsman truck is larger and less aero in all dimensions than what is normally used (minitrucks), they aren't allowed.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I saw a class for oval track cars, but only "open wheel" cars.

Again Craftsman series trucks are not based on production are they  :? same as the cars.  Streamliner class...

You saw VOT, for old Midgets, class opened back in the day when scta started the class when 3 like vehicles entered....
Stainless

McRat

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 12:50:38 PM »

Again Craftsman series trucks are not based on production are they  :? same as the cars.  Streamliner class...

You saw VOT, for old Midgets, class opened back in the day when scta started the class when 3 like vehicles entered....

Correct.  And we aren't going to run one.  A minitruck will go faster, even though they aren't diesel production trucks either.  No, I don't agree with non-OEM glass bodies running in any production-based class.  The only NACSAR parts I might have to run are tires, since that's what Goodyear said is their LSR tire.

dwarner

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 01:14:17 PM »
if implemented the NAXCAR would have to be from the last year they used any production body panel. A 1973 Monte Carlo could not run whereas a 2008 Fusion could. BTW the Fusion is the same as whatever body GM and Chrysler claim to be, different decals.

DW

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 01:23:54 PM »
in the 70's they used production bodies, those could probably run modified anyway, right.  The winged cars ran there. 

I think this is the solution and would put a stop to all the whining.... it gives them a class to run.  :evil:
Stainless

dwarner

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 01:26:54 PM »
We ended the whining a couple of years ago. See the threads in the Wicks thread that 4B Mike searched out.

There have been no proposals to the SCTA since then.

DW

Offline Geo

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 01:31:20 PM »
Replying just to see what the filter will do.   :-D

Only one class is needed.  Just like the one's now.  You pick the most areo car and baddest engine (FORD kent) and put your lead boot on.  If you pick incorrectly you are slow.  If you put it all together you are fast.  If it looks like a NASCAR it is in the NASCAR class.  Just the safety inspection as it is now and some basic class structure rules.

Self policing...  I'm Bubba and I say that's no NASCAR.  I ain't filling out no protest form.

But I do like the streamliner inclusion to see what they can do.

Geo

dwarner

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 01:34:28 PM »
I don't want to repeat the NAXCAR thread from before. But, when the class was proposed even the 12 claimed they could not be competitive amongst themselves if some had a new body than someone else. How about the Vintage NAXCAR class?

DW

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 03:31:12 PM »
Pat --

The ECTA has some classes for left-turners, I think.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records