Author Topic: Rear engine modified roadster  (Read 4960 times)

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Rear engine modified roadster
« on: March 25, 2005, 01:14:00 PM »
Looking over our new '05 rule book I thought I would ask how the new class minimums are arrived at? If this is the end all to beat all roadster class why would the minimums at El Mirage be lower than records in say gas/fuel roadster class? And as a side note if I build a rear engine comp coupe will you make a new class for me, some of uncle Earls old records are a bit tough so I thought we might make a new class, I mean there use to be rear engine coupes right?
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

dwarner

Re: Rear engine modified roadster
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 01:38:00 PM »
Mike,

Some but not all minimums I suggested were lowered by the board. The resoninmg being that participation in the new classes should be encouraged. If setting the minimum too high discourages new competition then the exercise is kaput. A record set on a minimum that is too low should be easily bettered by the next guy, right?

Points gathered in the new classes during the 2005 season cannot be applied to the championship.

Just turn your drawings around, move the chassis of your roadster 180 deg. in the shop and viola! You're in!

Dan

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 01:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by Dan Warner:

"Some but not all minimums I suggested were lowered by the board."

Dan, Ive started going to the Board meetings lately but I've not seen the process of setting minimums. Maybe you could give the highlights without the curse words?
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Bob Jr.

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 04:14:00 PM »
:D  Dan,

what if we do not race @ el mirage this year because of the water, would the new class rule carry over to 2006?
Bob Sights Jr.

"Speed is no object price is the problem"

Gear Grinder

624 G/BSTR 171.173 El Mirage

627 H/BFMR Bville 176.787, H/BGMR Bville 181.089 G/BFMR El Mirage 180.10, G/BGMR El Mirage 187.534

"Worlds fastest to the cooler of beer"

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 07:18:00 PM »
Grab a slow minimum or two this year and lock it in. Then you can sandbag next year.
 That is how the business of racing will replace the sport.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2005, 08:14:00 PM »
Dyno- Just get Ronnie Benham to build one then have whine and cry for 3 years for a "new" class and you will have it. Or just builed a VW or Corvair....:-)
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2005, 09:32:00 PM »
"Planned Parenthood" How to create a new class that can be your baby.
 The reason for the minimums was the best and is a real inspiration.
 The justification was that they could be faster and safer I'll bet. And the reward for such great thinking is a low set of minimums.
 I think I see a pattern.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline desotoman

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2005, 09:47:00 PM »
JD, sad but true.
 JackD, your right minimums should be higher.
 Regards,
 Tom Gerardi
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 10:13:00 PM »
Style over substance.
 The "Bathing Suit" competition ought to really pack the stands.
 I am glad I got it out of the way before I had to do it.

dwarner

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2005, 11:41:00 AM »
Minimums are suggested by a committee, in this case Steve Batchelor and me. The mins are presented to the board and that wise, determined group either accept the list in total or modify it. I have fought many a battle over the years and finally determined that when faced with over whelming odds to back off and gather my resources for the next fight.
 We will some how get a race or more in this year Bob. I wouldn't worry about that issue.

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2005, 06:11:00 PM »
Rear engined Comp Coupe would be allowed surely if the 4 seater car in question had the motor in that position as its original location.

Here in the UK many club circuit racers have taken advantage of this engine position ruling in what was called the 'special saloon class'.  Most racers built were based on spaceframe or monocoque chassis from sports racing cars.  Some even had V8 engines and one had the Ford DFV Formula 1 motor.

Various options are the European brands such as Skoda, Volkswagen, Suzuki, Fiat, NSU and the UK brand - Hillman Imp.
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

LittleLiner

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2005, 10:05:00 AM »
Perhaps this is a bad time to ask about a side engined class . . . .  Anybody have a 4 seater supermodified???

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2005, 10:38:00 AM »
Originally posted by jimmy six:
  Dyno- Just get Ronnie Benham to build one then have whine and cry for 3 years for a "new" class and you will have it. Or just builed a VW or Corvair....:-)
That's a funny.
 It used to be build 3 entries and whine one year.
 My , how times have changed just when you thought it was perfected..