Author Topic: Vintage Engine class rule clarification?  (Read 3995 times)

Offline desotoman

Vintage Engine class rule clarification?
« on: March 20, 2005, 06:24:00 PM »
I have a question regarding the vintage engine class. Can you let a computer run the engine's operations or not? If you can, in what body classes would it be legal?

According to the 2005 SCTA rule book, page 20 Section 2.Q COMPUTER: says "Vehicles may be equipped with a computer which affects engine operation ONLY, e.g., timed fuel injection, etc. (except Vintage Engine classes, Section 2.A. and Classic Category, Section 5.C)

Any help appreciated.
 Regards,
 Tom Gerardi
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

dwarner

Re: Vintage Engine class rule clarification?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2005, 08:13:00 PM »
No

dwarner

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2005, 08:17:00 PM »
Special Construction - see Flatfire.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2005, 08:42:00 PM »
Dan, could you please explain how you came up with that answer, so I will understand how to read the rule book better than I am. This confuses me. Thanks for any help.

Regards,
 Tom Gerardi

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

dwarner

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2005, 10:30:00 AM »
Vintage engines are the X and V4 classes. If the rule says you cannot use a timer for the clutch in a vintage engine class then you can't. Special Construction is excepted. Flatfire did not use any timers but could have.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2005, 06:27:00 PM »
The following is how I read the rule book, feel free to give constuctive critisism.  
   Section 2.A page 15, under ENGINE CLASS BREAK it states "For reasons of economy and historical authenticity, vintage engine modifications are restricted to older technology levels, so far as practical. Accordingly, in classes XO, XF, XXF, XXO, and V4 & V4F, using Vintage Bodies:
     1. Turbochargers are not permitted.
     2. Computers are allowed for data collection
        purposes only.
   How I interpret the above paragraph is that All Roadsters Classes, all Vintage Coupe and Sedan Classes, and Vintage Oval Track Classes, can only run a computer for data collection purposes only.
   Since the rules say nothing about Special Constuction Class, Competition Coupe $ Sedan Class, Fuel Altered Coupe & Gas Altered Coupe Class, Gas Coupe & Sedan Class, and Modified Pickup Truck Class, I take it that in these Classes, since they do not run Vintage Bodies, you can have a computer run the engine's functions ie. EFI, Computer controlled ignition, etc. when running a Vintage Engine.
   How do you read it? Thanks for any help.
 Tom Gerardi

dwarner

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2005, 10:06:00 PM »
Yes Tom,

You can run EFI, etc in the classes you mentioned. Vintage engine/Vintage body=different kat.

It isn't that hard.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2005, 12:40:00 AM »
Thanks Dan, I really appreciate your help. Now for one last question. Would it be legal to run two flathead motors that were 160 cubic inches each in the XF/Streamliner class, since it is legal to run more than one motor in a streamliner and these would only total 320 cubic inches.

dwarner

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2005, 09:52:00 AM »
Yes. Don't you have enough projects to do before starting on this one?

Offline desotoman

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2005, 06:47:00 PM »
Thanks again, Dan. Yes, I have plenty of projects and the flathead is one of them. Just finding out what is legal to run and what is not. I appreciate your help. Regards, Tom

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2005, 07:26:00 PM »
I know a guy that took a 37 Nash straight 8 block and made everything that bolted on, went up and down, and around with new state of the art stuff including 4 valves per cyl. and a former turbo charger now run by a belt.
 Not to mention the Ford 4 cyl. with 5 main beaings and the flathead v-8 with the smoke going backwards.
 With no purse, money is no object.
 Vintage is not for sissys anymore.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"