Author Topic: Question about min engine displacement  (Read 2874 times)

LittleLiner

Question about min engine displacement
« on: February 07, 2005, 09:52:00 AM »
What is the minimum displacement for a ?body class? minimum engine class?

Concerning the SCTA engine classes; how small is too small?  I see that all the SCTA engine classes ? AA thru K have a maximum displacement and a minimum displacement (except K which has a virtual minimum of zero cubic inches.  And of course AA has an unlimited maximum).  So obviously whatever size engine you have will determine which engine class you fit into.  

However the only categories that offer the K class are Streamliners and Lakesters.  For Bonneville the Gas Coupe, GT and Production cars are cut off at J class.  Mod Sports, Comp Coupe and Altered Coupe cut off at Class I.   All Roadster classes cut off at Class H.  I could list them all but I think you get the point.

So, what happens if someone shows up with a car that has an engine that is smaller than the minimum displacement for the lowest engine class offered in that ?body class??  An example would be a Modified Sportscar with an engine displacement of less than the 1000cc minimum for the smallest MS class of I/MS?  Does this car run as an ?I class? car or as a ?time only? car?

If the answer is to run the car as an I class car even though the engine is undersize, then I have another question dealing with the Classic category (all bodies from between 1928 and 1981.)  

Classic Gas Coupe body classes smallest engine size is Class E.  The regular Gas Coupe body classes go all the way down to J engine class.  I am building a Gas Coupe with an engine smaller than the minimum size for the E engine Class and I am putting that J class engine in a 1977 (classic year) body.  Would this car be classified as a J/GC or as an E/CGC?

I am not worried about this at this time because I am using a non-OEM Electronic Fuel Injection system which puts me out of Classic and makes the car (regardless of year) go to the regular Gas Coupe body class.  However in the future we plan to add a blower with carburetors, move to J/BGC, and won?t have the Non-OEM EFI ?escape clause?.

dwarner

Re: Question about min engine displacement
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 11:48:00 AM »
You must run within the cubic inch break of your class to set a record. If a ci break is not offered in the body style you chose to run then you run as Time Only. You pay the same fees and have all the privileges as everyone else but, no record.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 01:09:00 PM »
I am sure the restriction as to the number of engine sizes available is an effort to reduce the classes available . This will have the effect of making the allowed records more individually important. SORTA
 The oversize engines that are different for every engine type have their own place in history also.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

dwarner

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005, 02:06:00 PM »
The restriction as to the engine sizes available for a given body style i.e., roadster, classic classes, etc. is an attempt to keep the number of classes to what is typical of the class. Roadsters are hot rods, almost any engine goes. The Classic classes are for muscle cars. You don't see many cars that are generally accepted as a muscle car with a 1.5 liter engine.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2005, 07:21:00 PM »
Classic is sorta Vintage, sorta Muscle.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

dwarner

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2005, 10:05:00 PM »
More muscle I would think.