Author Topic: Class a bike tank size  (Read 16462 times)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: Class a bike tank size
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2005, 01:18:00 AM »
The documentation for the rule change would make an interesting read.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2005, 08:46:00 AM »
Russ
 By your definition shown all the dimentions apply to a modified from class M bike. That would say that if a bike were built from scratch that none of those dimensions would apply.
 Doe's that make sence ? Is that what you really want?
 You might want to look at the car rules for some guidence. If you take the body off a Roadster,, usually you will find a legal Lakster, even if it is on what seems to be 32 rails. Put the required fenders on it as you might put a fairing on a bike and you have a streamliner.
 Doing that to a roadster might not be very fast because the class allows many other dimensions that have proven to be faster.
 If an entry is fast enough for the class and meets all the appropriate rules, what is wrong with that ?
  If it looks slow to you but isn't, it's OK to act surprized.
 Don't try to legislate to the point where inappropriate control destroys the competition or inovation.
 Do it within the bounds of safety and let the conpetition take care of it's own.
 If a rule is wrong, admit it and publish a correction. Don't offer to male individual exceptions for those that apply and abandon the rest.
 A couple of years ago the bike rules were modified without the advice from the entrants and they were found to be ubworkable but not until they were published. The grumblings that included rules that seemed to be self serving on the part of the author can still be heard.
 Many bikers tend to keep their head down and vote with their feet. That leaves you standing with the crowd that remains with your head up.
 Some will say more than others and some will do a work around that will frustrate your efforts.
 Some one else is doing a bike LSR program and they are learning fast. I am not just talking about the BUB meet. Each of them has taken off on a little bit different direction. The result is the natural sence they have to compare each other.
 The confusion that results is no good for anybody.
 The rules for the bike should be the same and the procedures only be changed to reflect the type of attempt. Until that is done the bike community will remain fractured and that doesn't serve the sport very well.
 Jack

<small>[ March 25, 2005, 07:49 AM: Message edited by: JackD ]</small>
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline jssport

• New folks
    • http://groups.yahoo.com/group/snyderisanazzhole/
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2005, 10:46:00 PM »
Concerning 3/4 new Altered rules...

I think the 6" footpeg rule isn't safe.

I believe it is much safer to have your pegs under you for balance control than spread back toward the axle.

That forces me to use a small tank...

are older bikes that already ran under older "A" class rules still eligible, unchanged under any sort of "Grandfather" rule ?

JimS
  LSR# 504/506

<small>[ March 27, 2005, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: Jim Snyder ]</small>

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2005, 11:22:00 PM »
If the records are allowed to stand in the face of the new rules, maybe something is wrong.
 As important as anything is the bike should be comfortable for you.
 Comfort should include the belief that safety rules are the best available and the competition is fair.
 The rule seems to have just fallin from the sky and perhaps ill advised with no basis in competition.

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2005, 03:47:00 PM »
Scott I dont think that is implied or a rule...

Atleast I hope not as that would not make any sense...oh wait.a minute..that however mean that it may make sense to some..

Offline bbb

• Aerodynamically Challenged
  • JorNic Motorsports
    • JorNic Motorsports, Charlottesville, Va.
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2005, 01:43:00 AM »
Fastest 2000 Blue and Red Suzuki Hayabusa within 1 mile of Interstate 10, west of Monroe Street, east of Capital Circle, in Leon County, Florida, using gasoline, running partial streamlining, and Michelin tires.
you sure about that?  ;)
 adding a little levity. this is a painful (albeit neccessary) discussion.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2005, 03:07:00 PM »
Hey, I think there's some cornfusion about tank minimum and maximum size.  let's see if i can throw some fat on the fire.

The way I read the 2005 rules is. . .

SCTA says 1.32 gal MAXIMUM in Altered class, but there's no talk of a minimum size, nor any tanks size discussion in modified.

ECTA says 1.32 gal MINIMUM in Modified, and I don't have a rulebook right handy to see what other size rules there might be.

The way I read it it'd be difficult to run in Modified at Maxton and Altered at the Salt with the same tank.  I don't remember anything in the rules about physical dimensions other than (liquid) capacity.

Take a look-see at the rulebook before you use all capital letters to tell me I'm wrong -- then have at it if I read something wrong.  The new fuel tank on my bike will be of capacity sufficient to make at least one full-throttle run on the long course -- further deponent sayeth not, Q.E.D.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2005, 04:31:00 PM »
If the book is confused by the officials and they try to defend it without understanding it, you don't have a chance from any place else.
 Don't give up though.

Offline hawkwind

« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2005, 04:50:00 AM »
I'll leave you "crazy yanks " to sort this one out   :(  
 Gary
slower than most

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2005, 09:37:00 AM »
The reward for good work is limited.
 A mistake will qouckly pound you, and keep pounding you until it is fixed.
 The faster it is fixed, the sooner it is behind you.
 Just when you think you are on the other side of the fence and all the protection it offers, you find they are all around and over you anyway.
 The way they handle it is as varied as the racers they build.
 You have to just keep them all going in the same direction.
 "The beatings will continue until moral improves."

<small>[ March 31, 2005, 11:22 AM: Message edited by: JackD ]</small>

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2005, 10:24:00 PM »
The original question was Jan 31.
 The pace of the answer is frightening and the final answer as well.

AlanGalbraith

« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2005, 05:47:00 PM »
Although some competitors would like to use one bike to run in Production, add a non-stock fairing and pipes and run in Modified (Fuel & Gas), and finally add an extended swing arm and move up to the special construction class, and run fuel & gas classes, that is not what the rules intend.
oddly enough... the way the rules are written, it allows someone to do just that.

It would be a little harder if the rules required all 4 parameters...

but even at that...

so what if someone DOES want to run a production bike (with mods to meet the Altered requirements)? If they want to do that, and give up the advantages availible to them by building a full-on custom Altered set up... why not?

it just means that if they set a record... it should be pretty easy for someone with a TRUE Altered bike, taking full advantage of the engineering changes availible under the class, to come along and break the record.

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2005, 10:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by AlanGalbraith:

it should be pretty easy for someone with a TRUE Altered bike, taking full advantage of the engineering changes availible under the class, to come along and break the record. [/b]
Ding Ding Ding..we have a winner..at the moment a modified bike holds the FASTEST records at Bonne, El Mirage,Texas and Maxton, a true Altered bike should be way faster and the production/modified bikes "should" be a lot slower..

Keep the Altered bikes out of the Modified classes and ALLOW them to run against the Altered bike that have many advantages that the Modified bikes do not..

Smaller tank OK,  rear pegs withing 6" from the rear axle, OK, longer wheelbase than 68" OK, Lower seat than the top of rear tire OK, however do not keep them out because they are faster...make the one off special construction, custom bodied, custom chassis bikes earn the records rather than handicapping them by keeping out the modified bikes..

OK I am done...back to your regularly scheduled rant...  :D

dwarner

« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2005, 10:44:00 PM »
If they want to do that, and give up the advantages availible to them by building a full-on custom Altered set up... why not?
 Ah - a graduate from Jack Dolan University.

DW

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2005, 11:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by Dan Warner:
  If they want to do that, and give up the advantages availible to them by building a full-on custom Altered set up... why not?
 Ah - a graduate from Jack Dolan University.

DW
Actually most of the fast ones have a grduate degree.
 The gas tank rule is from the other school of hard knocks.
 " I am afraid they are beating their heads against a dead horse."
  Bernie Partridge-NHRA