Author Topic: turbo motor build  (Read 88754 times)

Offline interested bystander

Re: turbo motor build
« Reply #90 on: March 04, 2009, 10:50:15 PM »
Hotnuts, didn't you see the "don't try this at home" instruction?

5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #91 on: March 05, 2009, 05:58:13 PM »
show us the cut!

Kent, you could handle it.....
Some others....not so sure of....
Better left unseen.

Funny thing is that after my wife and I ate a nice dinner I went in to get it sewed up. They gave me a local and from then allowed me to do most of my own work including cleaning it out, prepping and doing the last 2 stitches (of 3). I was surprised in how they would allow me to take such an active roll in my own treatment. The doctor also told me to remove my own stitches when it healed to avoid coming back in.

I guess if you talk like you know what you are doing they will let you deliver.

The worst part of the whole process was waiting, filling out papers, waiting getting worked on and waiting some more.

other than that....fun stuff and a good experience.
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #92 on: March 05, 2009, 06:12:16 PM »
Kent, he went to a VET.  :evil:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #93 on: March 05, 2009, 08:51:40 PM »
JNuts, are you sure you want to reduce the spray under the pistons, does the guy that recommended it run WOT for 5 miles?  Or is he maybe a drag racer...  :| and he gets more HP for 7.48 seconds.....  :-o
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #94 on: March 05, 2009, 08:58:22 PM »
 :? I have piston sprayers on my BBC and I run NA... :?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #95 on: March 05, 2009, 09:06:52 PM »
And I have never used oil squirter's on my Bonneville engines.
I have used them when the stroke is real short and the rod is very long on other applications........
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #96 on: March 05, 2009, 11:56:08 PM »
JNuts, are you sure you want to reduce the spray under the pistons, does the guy that recommended it run WOT for 5 miles?  Or is he maybe a drag racer...   and he gets more HP for 7.48 seconds..... 

Guys running 100% blocked squinters for 8K miles on hard driven street motors.
Know a few that ran @ Maxton with 0 from the jets with no probs.

I was recommended to use .030 for a LSR motor....running .040

Dont want to make the sources of my info on these mods public...but I can assure everyone that he knows waaaaay more than I do regarding high HP busa builds (although thats not saying allot!). For whatever reason the people that do these mods professionally have been real tight lipped about what they do and why. I wouldn’t be surprised if there were some peeps out there that f-ing hate that I let the bat out of the cag.

WIll see in August if the motor smokes!

~JH

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #97 on: March 06, 2009, 12:08:15 AM »
I know what you mean JH. Racers are a funny lot. I can tell someone exactilly what Compression, cam, boost etc. I run and they don't believe me. So no need to lie.......
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

saltfever

« Reply #98 on: March 06, 2009, 01:06:06 AM »
And I have never used oil squirter's on my Bonneville engines. I have used them when the stroke is real short and the rod is very long on other applications........
Interesting!  Mike, what is it about that combination that suggests using squirters?

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #99 on: March 06, 2009, 09:16:18 AM »
my guess is that the wrist pins stay WAY up there away from the oil.  I run squirters because I am trying to get all of the heat I can from the piston crowns---like diesel trucks that I know about.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #100 on: March 09, 2009, 06:26:40 PM »
Along this journey of my first busa engine build I have discovered there are some things you can get away with.....other things... not so much.

Case in point is that my China made micrometers only would read to .001. Truth be known they came from Harbor poop sales and are not too bad all things considered. Unfortunately these don’t really do me any good considering the bearing and journal tolerances are to .0001. I was making guess estimates based on the end wheel being "part way" through the .001ths.

I sent the crank to Marine Crank today to be balanced, polished and nitrated. I dont think that the tolerances would change due to this operation but didnt know if it was common to send another good crank back to me pre done with this common machine work, that may not of been the exact crank I sent in (unlikely but ya never know).

I got this mic today to do the measurements on the journals when the crank comes back before I order bearings.

If you are reading this considering doing a build that requires new bearings just be ready to get a mic that reads at least .0001. This one reads to .00005 and is somewhat spendy but at least there will be no guessing on bearing tolerances and hopefully will be the last one I need for a while.

~JH

*Andres Segovia

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #101 on: March 09, 2009, 07:22:35 PM »
JH;

If a measuring tool says "Mitutoyo", "Brown & Sharp", or "Starrett", you can depend on its accuracy.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #102 on: March 09, 2009, 08:33:25 PM »
JH,

If you sent a crank to Dave at Marine you will receive the same one when the work is completed.

John

saltfever

« Reply #103 on: March 09, 2009, 09:36:40 PM »
Snip... If you are reading this considering doing a build that requires new bearings just be ready to get a mic that reads at least .0001. This one reads to .00005 and is somewhat spendy but at least there will be no guessing on bearing tolerances and hopefully will be the last one I need for a while.
Jonny, ordinarily I wouldn't split hairs but you have invested in a quality mic and are focused on precision.  :wink: Your mic has 1 micron (.001mm) resolution. A micron is .00003937" and that would be .00004" with rounding error. Don't want you to loose oil pressure!  :-D

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #104 on: March 10, 2009, 01:04:06 AM »
jnuts,
Your new micrometer is a fine piece of equipment and certainly from one of the very best manufactures but when you start measuring things in .00005 inch increments you had better start looking at temperature control also. Say you are measuring something that is 2 inches and you want its exactly 2.000000 inches. Well if you measure at one temperature and then measure it again at a temperature 10 degrees higher it will be .000126 inch larger now! did your micrometers expand also and what is the real dimension??? Some times when you start measuring to RCH's you have to really think if the extra zeros really mean anything. BTW the thermal coefficient of thermal expansion for steel is 6.33 x 10 to the negative 6 power (.00000633) inches/inch/deg F.

Can you order bearings for your Busa to a dimension that is closer than .0005? and if you can what is the tolerance? Always good to be accurate a waste of time to be more accurate than you need to be. And one other thing don't forget to have them calibrated every few months, probably will need to find a very good tool and die shop with some half tenth Jo blocks,  other wise you will just have an accurate C clamp.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.