Author Topic: turbo motor build  (Read 88747 times)

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
Re: turbo motor build
« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2009, 08:08:46 PM »
the mods need to be done to the bearing shells only...
kent

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2009, 08:18:28 PM »
What needs to be done? Rod bearings or mains?  Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2009, 08:32:37 PM »
What oil mods are you doing to the cases?
Drilling out, line boring and re-tapping the passage to 3-4.
This will increase oil volume to this side. There is a sharp turn to 3-4 that decreases flow and the mod helps equalize the distribution.

Harrys Machined Parts does the mods for around 200$ (not including S&H)
harrys Phone # 1-508-366-1455 (ask for Rick)

I’ll show ya how to do it for nothing.

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2009, 08:55:44 PM »
Show me, show me. :-D
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2009, 09:31:22 PM »
Will do FV.

It will be sometime mid next week.  :wink:

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
« Reply #80 on: February 18, 2009, 09:43:51 PM »
Sounds good.
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #81 on: March 03, 2009, 07:00:09 PM »
Sorry it has taken sooo long to get this stuff posted, work as of late has been nuts.

Firstly the info I show is NOT of my design. These mods to the oiling system are copied directly from common mods done and known to be effective and valuable but if you choose to do these mods understand that I am not liable for any issues you may have. I am also showing info on other some other oil system mods often done but I am choosing not to do these because I don’t feel they are needed.

That being said.

Mod 1:

Here you can see the oil gallery to the mains takes 2 abrupt 90 degree turns that feed 3&4. After it makes the 2 turns the gallery goes from 14mm to 6mm.

6mm to remove outside plug

I had just started to drill and stopped to take a pic of the difference between the main gallery and the gallery that feeds 3-4.

Use a 5/16ths drill and set it to stop at the end of the line to the plug….dont go deeper.
I had to grip the bit at the end of the chuck but a standard length bit was just able to do it.

Tap the hole. I used a 3/8ths 16 tap and recommend using a high quality tap, I used Snap-On but whatever you feel comfortable with. I tapped the hole 3/4”, this is the exact depth of the material BEFORE the bearing feed. If you tap it deeper and install a longer bolt that ¾ (from base of head) you will restrict or block the bearing supply.

Here is a bolt I put in place for an example. The head is too large to fit under the cover and is about ¼” too long. I will pick up a 3/8 16X.75 plug tomorrow.

ALSO.....

Tomorrow I will show the rest of the mods.....
This is when things will get fun.

~JH
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 07:16:28 PM by Jonny Hotnuts »

*Andres Segovia

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2009, 02:35:58 AM »
JH,

Great info...where did you learn these mods from..?

J

saltfever

« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2009, 07:05:50 AM »
Jonny: How did you get all the pics to load in ONE posting! What size are the individual pics? I keep my pics to less than 500Kb but still can't get more than one per post. :-)

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2009, 12:22:28 PM »
If Harrys machine does these mods it must be what was done to DaveO's motor. I read he had some mods to his oiling system.
JN have you ever had a problem with mains 3&4?
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2009, 12:37:59 PM »
Jonny: How did you get all the pics to load in ONE posting! What size are the individual pics? I keep my pics to less than 500Kb but still can't get more than one per post. :-)

He has the pictures posted on another site and then is using the "image command" to link to them.  You are viewing them from another site.

Great stuff JN,

Sum

saltfever

« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2009, 02:38:23 PM »
Thanks, Sum. It sure makes it more readable with the ability to add comments with each pic. I had a lot of trouble posting in another thread. The interface is a bit diifcult. If it throws you out because the file is too large, you can't editthe reply because it thinks you are making a duplicate of what the system just eliminated. Oh well . . . I had always wanted to open a photobucket account, I guess it abouttime  :-)  All the best to you.

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2009, 07:18:17 PM »
Mod 2:

Items needed:

Precision drills .030, .035 or .040
Paste flux
Torch
Loctite
Solder (pipe)

This mod lowers the amount of oil sprayed on the pistons. There are streeted bikes that have completely blocked these jets with no problems. A very reputable builder (turbo and No2 busas) suggest .030 but opted to do .04.

This mod is actually reported to gain HP due to the better windage on the crank and from what I am told there is so much oil flying around that the motor really doesn’t need the extra oil directed for piston cooling from these jets. It also sends more oil to the main and rod bearings.

Here is a pic of one of the jets. Get a long wrench, these suckers are Loctited in.

There is a small o-ring on the back, note the excess green Loctite around the bolt hole….they didn’t intend these to fall out!

Take a drill bit (I used a .67) and scratch the inside of the jet about ¼” inch in. This gives the solder teeth to bite on. Imagine you are using sandpaper to prep the outside of a pipe you are about to sweat. After you scratch the inside I recommend heating the jet to burn off any excess oil residue, allow to cool before the next step.

fill the inside of the jet (to the bend) with flux, note that I didn’t wipe off the excess off the side…..you will see later what happens if you don’t.

Get your propane torch and pre heat the pipe….if you never sweated copper pipes before its not too big of a deal and this is exactly the same. You will want to get the jet hot enough that it will melt the solder on contact after the flame is removed. Add enough to the hole so it fills the jet to a depth of approximately ¼ inch (almost to the bend).

Allow to cool.

Here is what the jet will look like. Note the solder on the side of the jet….this is because I didn’t remove the flux….I could worry about it but it wont go anywhere so its going to stay…..no biggie.

I actually had to twist the drill by hand (I don’t have a chuck that can fit a .04 drill).
It wasn’t too bad, the solder drills nice (thankfully its only 4 holes!).

Here is a finished jet. Make sure you can blow through the hole and reinstall with a hard Loctite.

Also…..

Today I cut the living dog s.hit out of my thumb (not relating to this). I rapped it up but need to go get a few stitches when the wife gets home.

Will show more oil mods tomorrow.

~JH

*Andres Segovia

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #88 on: March 04, 2009, 09:55:43 PM »
show us the cut! :-D

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2009, 10:14:56 PM »
You are one sick man, Kent!!  Only time the cut is interesting is when it is build related.....well, maybe not, not if it will interfer with his build!  :-o  Geez, I've lost some more brain cells!!  Is it August yet?  :?   :roll:

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!