Author Topic: turbo motor build  (Read 88782 times)

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Re: turbo motor build
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2009, 01:07:08 AM »
Saltfever,
Look on page 106 of the April 2009 Hot Rod they show a pic of a squirter made by Katech Performance. Might work for you.

Loss of oil pressure at high temp is usually caused by internal leakage in the oil pump. Not having any experience with a Busa I would guess that it has a gear or geroter style pump, when the oil thins it leaks from the high pressure side of the pump to the low (inlet) pressure side so not only does the oil pressure fall but the oil temperature is accelerated by the leakage. Most pressure control valve are nothing more than a ball with an adjustable spring and they seal pretty well even with thin oil unless there is dirt between the ball and the seat.

Oil coolers fix these problems. If you are running a water tank then some of the after market oil/water heat exchangers would probably be the trick setup.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

saltfever

« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2009, 06:07:50 AM »
Got it. Thanks, Rex.  :-D
Nice idea . . . it looks like the oil supply comes up through the stud that is tapped into an oil galley. Hmmm, I wonder how much horsepower it costs with the piston pushing against the oil spray?

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2009, 08:30:29 AM »
.... Hmmm, I wonder how much horsepower it costs with the piston pushing against the oil spray?

A lot less than the benefit  :-o
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

McRat

« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2009, 10:20:39 AM »
Absolutely oil squirters cost some power.  But I doubt it's too much.  It sprays with the piston going up, as well as going down.  So it's like a windage loss.  It's useful for sustained high output on super/turbocharged engines, because the amount of heat the piston must absorb can be over twice the amount of heat a NA engine will ever see.   If you allow the piston to get too warm, cracking becomes an issue, and if you spray nitrous, it can actually ignite the aluminum in the piston if you get greedy with the boost.   

It's a necessary evil for some applications.  Until they come out with useable ceramic pistons or other technology, it's the best band-aid available.

Beryllium pistons anyone?  :-D

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2009, 12:54:14 PM »
JH  i don't think there is a pressure relieve in the filter, but i'm curious now and will go cut one up to be sure.

I asked a buddy of mine about why he was using a very different oil filter setup on his busa and he is the one that explained to me that the busa does have a bypass and he cut one up and to see if there was any trash in the filter after blowing a motor and found that it had a bypass and the filter was spotless. He is using the high pressure high volume setup and found the suzuki filter bypassed at 100 psi.

Here is the filter he is currently running (BTW: this bike did 8.38 without boost, not too bad!) He now says that it is spotless in the pan when the motor is taken apart where before it was always a mess.

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2009, 01:29:44 PM »
The old Ferrari 250 and 330 front- engine V12 cars had two oil filters mounted upside- down on the front of the engine. One was a conventional oil filter (PH2815); the other (PB50) was a filter for the bypassed oil. This way the oil passed through a filter under all conditions.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2009, 02:01:14 PM »
a Suzuki oil pump will NOT build 100psi pressure and the coyning will blow on most crimp styled oil filters around 85 psi... your guy is FOS....
kent

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2009, 02:07:13 PM »
Kent;

A PH2815 could be replaced with a commonly- available PH8 oil filter but the first time you started the engine it would rupture a PH8.... BANG and oil everywhere.  :oops:

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2009, 04:04:36 PM »
yep been there blown them up too... i've even blown oil coolers up..... at least his friend sent him in the right direction with the oberg..
kent

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2009, 04:26:07 PM »
yep been there blown them up too... i've even blown oil coolers up..... at least his friend sent him in the right direction with the oberg..
kent

Why doesn't that surprise me?  :mrgreen:

See ya in May Kent... :cheers:
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2009, 07:37:17 PM »

a Suzuki oil pump will NOT build 100psi pressure and the coyning will blow on most crimp styled oil filters around 85 psi... your guy is FOS....
kent

http://www.rcsperformanceonline.com/Billet_Oil_Pressure_Valve_p/billet%20oil%20pressure%20valve.htm

For replacement of the OEM oil pressure valve. Designed to create higher oil pressure for your high performance engine. The OEM valve creates 71 psi at high rpm. The high quality Billet Oil Pressure Valve creates 125 psi at high rpm.Able to be used on the GSXR 750, 1000, and 1300. The billet oil pressure relief valve has been successfully tested in Drag Racing & Daily riding with outstanding results.  Built to help prevent bearing failure from low oil pressure at high rpm.  Great for high compression naturally aspirated motors & nitrous applications.  This should be used in conjunction with the high volume oil pump gear. The gear gives you the volume, this gives you the pressure. Both are recommended for the best results.

Please Note - You must tighten filter with a wrench and let the bike get to operating temperature before revving the engine or you will blow the gasket out of the oil filter.

The high pressure/high volume setup pressure is well documented, the busa pump can in fact make more that 100 psi oil pressure.
Again your perceived knowledge of everything and your assumption of this has once again proven that you are the one thats FOS.
Seriously get over yourself.

:-D

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2009, 07:11:03 PM »
Got a few more parts today.....got most of the expensive stuff out of the way now its just nickel and dime city.

I will be doing an oil mod on the case and need to get the bearings here before I start assembly. Once the bottom end gets back together I will be getting some head work done (porting, 1mm larger exhaust and SS valves, HD springs....ect). Will sure be nice to get things back together!

*Andres Segovia

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2009, 07:12:54 PM »
-ALSO-

Both the rods and pistons have "Nascar" stuff on the boxes....hope that doesnt make my car want to pull hard to the right!

*Andres Segovia

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2009, 07:20:18 PM »
Right?????????

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2009, 07:46:06 PM »
What oil mods are you doing to the cases?
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing