Author Topic: Gussets  (Read 5927 times)

SFC Rashley

Gussets
« on: December 30, 2004, 04:45:00 AM »
I have a 8 point drag race IHRA certified cage, but without gussets. Do I need them? The picture doesn't have them. Will I need that 5th bar too? I will run AA/GC
 Thanks Gentlemen,

How do I add pic's?

Offline Gary Perkinson

Re: Gussets
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 12:58:00 PM »
Third paragraph, section 3.B.2:

"Gussets are required at tube junctions of hoops and shoulder rail. Gussets shall be made from mild steel, .125" minimum thickness and four (4) inches per side, (preferably stitch welded on the outside of the tube junction) are required at all shoulder bar attachment points."

Gary
LTA   G/BGALT Record (1 mile)     143.313
LTA   G/BGALT Record (1.5 mile)  148.321
LTA   F/PRO Record (1 mile)         114.668

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2005, 12:10:00 PM »
Just because I have always thought that the SCTA specified gusset design that is really a pretty bad idea is it acceptable to make the gusset from say a piect of rectangular tubing the same size as the roll bar, say 1-1/2 by 2-21/2 with .065 wall and cut it to fit around the roll bar and then welded it as the gusset? To me this is a much better gusset design and it transmits the loads to the complete tube not just to the edge as the 1/8 plate would do which would probably just tear the edge of the tube away if you got on your lid.
 Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2005, 02:45:00 PM »
Okay, guys, one more time, If you have a question about the rule book, call the tech guys whose names and phone numgers are IN THE BOOK.  
    My own opinion is the gussets are the MINIMUM allowed.  The bottom line is you need to have a triangulated brace at the roll bar intersections SHOWN AND MENTIONED IN THE RULE BOOK.   Bob
Bob Drury

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2005, 05:00:00 PM »
Thanks Bob you are correct, Tech men first.

The reason for the gussets: a competitor got upside down in a lakester which had a cage welded on a shoulder bar (multiple times) It broke off and the man lost his life.  The gussets are to be placed on the inside or outside the joint and not centered. They are to be stitch welded...This is how it is shown in the book page 24. They are flat plates.

SFC: I do not know what the specs of a IHRA cage are. Thickness, diameter, material, etc. We do not hit walls and since the record is 260+ mph and safety folks may take a little time to chase you down in an emergency(not like the drags). Our specs were written by experienced people who have witnessed what didn't work. If all of your cage meets the specs of the SCTA book then adding the gussets to the inside of the necessary junctions with the proper plates should not be a problem.

Good Luck.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

John Beckett

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2005, 06:09:00 PM »
From an engineering standpoint a saddle gusset is far more effective at tube junctions than a flat plate gusset. Just as effective as the saddle gusset, and at times better suited due to tube angles, are knee bars.

John
 #79 C/BGCC

SFC Rashley

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2005, 01:49:00 AM »
Wow, thanks Gentlemen. The rule book is a MINIMUN standard, so therefore, like the engineer said, saddle gussets are stronger. THIS is the info I need, so thanks again. Please send me pictures of your gussets please....
 Also, what are the primary no-go's on the track. I have over six months to prep the car and I want it done right the first time. The drag boys certify chassis where ever you request them to be. Will your tech guys come to me?

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2005, 01:29:00 PM »
[img width= height= alt= - ]http://jrmotorsports.com/images/storeimages/chassis/jrp10400.jpg[/img]

I would assume this is a saddle gusset.

I found them at:JR Motorsports  

c ya, Sum

SFC Rashley

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2005, 01:53:00 PM »
GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Thx

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2005, 02:53:00 PM »
One note is that I would make sure those are thick enough to satisfy the rules.

c ya, Sum

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2005, 03:20:00 PM »
One of the reasons SCTA/BNI does not recomend saddle gussets is the salt can get to places you wouldn't believe. This side welded gusset with the corner open allows for this area to be cleaned and easy to inspect.As was mentioned earlier this design was determined best by several chassis builders and a few engineers.
 If your not sure, best you contact the inspectors prior to welding or making a decision that you might have to change later.All safety rules are well thought out before being put in the rule book.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

John Bjorkman

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2005, 04:19:00 PM »
Tony,
 Before you add gussets to your IHRA certified cage make sure the tubing size and wall thickness neet the SCTA rules, We require thicker tubing then drag racing due to the longer response times for a crash and the track surfaces we run on. Cage tubing should be aminimum of 1.625 dia. with .12 wall
 Good luck
 John

Randy Williams

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2005, 01:42:00 AM »
Tony, I'm using 1"X .083 tubing for my gussets. It might be best if you call Joe Timney at Delaware Chassis Works.He can answer all your questions.

jtimney@ecta-lsr.com

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2005, 03:11:00 PM »
If you pre enter the Speed Week meet a copy of the back side of the inspection form will be included with your confirmation. I usually keep copies of the sheets at home to send out to those who ask. My address is in the rule book. Current year ones are available after the May SCTA El Mirage meet.. Good Luck J.D.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

SFC Rashley

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2005, 01:00:00 AM »
Thanks Gentlemen,

Need to do my homework...........