Author Topic: Seat Mount in Second Gen Firebird Classic Gas Coupe  (Read 2329 times)

Offline dickj

Seat Mount in Second Gen Firebird Classic Gas Coupe
« on: January 03, 2009, 10:17:39 PM »
I have a question about seat mounting.  I have not yet run this car at Bonneville.  The roll cage should meet the requirements OK.  The seat, the lap belts, and the submarine belt are currently bolted to the floor and not to the cage.  I want to correct that deficiency and mount the seat and all of the harness entirely to the cage but am in a quandry as to how to do it.  There is not enough room between the door sill and the transmission/drive shaft tunnel to construct seat and belt supports out of 1 5/8" tube and still have enough room for the seat.  Can I build a "basket" for the seat out of 1" tube and weld it to the cage, or will that then be considered part of the cage and made out of under-sized tubing?   DickJ

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
Re: Seat Mount in Second Gen Firebird Classic Gas Coupe
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 05:13:52 PM »
The way I interpreted the rule book is as long as the basic cage is built to rule book specs, anything added after that can be anything you chose (sensibly). Your plane sounds good to me, but what do I know :?
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline wilcox garage

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 12:27:55 AM »
In my roadster the seat mounting was very tight . The seat belts were bolted to 1/4 plate that was welded to 1" tube that ran between the cage and drivesaft loop ( also 1" ) . Just make sure ware the seatbelt runs that it is unobstructed between mounting point and the driver.The SCTA rule book states seat belts must be securely fastened to the frame, cross member or reinforced mounting points so fittings are in direct line with the direction of pull. While going through tech with a new car the inspector noted that my belts were hitting my seat in between the mounting point and my waist. So we had to trim my Kirkey seat to get it right.
Mark Wilcox,
142 D/BSTR  record qualifier 2011 219.935
182 D/BGMMP record holder 2019 215.798

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 09:22:43 AM »
DJ, call the tech guy for your class or send a question to the scta online.  I would say your plan should work but it is better to get it from the officials in writing...
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O