Author Topic: Fire Extinguishing Systems  (Read 2871 times)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Fire Extinguishing Systems
« on: January 03, 2009, 06:33:32 PM »
I am a bit confused about what is currently acceptable for a BGMS vehicle. I have a 10lb Fire Bottle with Halon 1211 in an aluminum bottle and another 7lb Halon 1211 but in a steel bottle. I seem to remember hearing somewhere that steel or aluminum bottles would no longer be OK for Halon systems but I don't remember which one was OK and which one wasn't. I can't find anything about it in section 3.Q in the 2008 Rule Book. :?

Can anyone shed some light on this question?

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

McRat

Re: Fire Extinguishing Systems
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 06:46:38 PM »
From my reading, Halon 1211 come out as a liquid, so it's intended as a longer range extinguisher.  1301 comes out as a gas, so it's better for cars.  While both are very effective, SFI pulled their rating since they affect global warming.  The replacement chemicals are less effective lb for lb.  STCA did not require SFI certs for 2008, so Halon was permitted.

Aluminum vs. steel LINES is an issue, but I haven't seen anything about bottles.  Aluminum lines need to be protected anywhere where they could be hit, since they collapse easier.  NHRA doesn't allow aluminum lines last I checked, but SCTA does.

Offline jdincau

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 06:56:07 PM »
The bottles in question were the old steel bottles that had a trigger mechanisim that could not be removed for servicing without discharging the contents.
Jim
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 06:59:35 PM »
The steel bottle Flame-out system was dis allowed as of 1-01-2004. These are a round bottomed steel bottle and painted yellow. 2004 Rule book, fire systems pg 33.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 07:39:37 PM »
Thanks for the clarification, guys. Glen, my rule book collection doesn't go back that far (2004) -- I assumed that if it was disallowed in the past the statement would be carried forward as long as the rule was in effect.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 08:11:31 PM »
Neil, I have rule books going way back I use them a lot to look at changes and things that got omited
by accident and it has happened.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline jdincau

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 08:16:59 PM »
Glen,
    They wern't all round bottomed and yellow. Mine was a 10 pound flat bottomed, grey unit out of a funny car.
Jim
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

dwarner

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 02:20:55 PM »
Neil,

If the bottle was no longer available for purchase what would be the point of carrying a rule forward after it had been in the book for a couple of years? The book is 240 pages now. If we kept everyting removed for the past 50 years we could approach a 300+ page book.

DW

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 02:35:05 PM »
Dan;

I appreciate the rule book problem but maybe those "grandfather" rules could be posted on the SCTA website.

Although they may no longer be available from the manufacturer there still a lot of them floating around out there. Some well- meaning soul may buy (or sell) an item if he isn't aware it was prohibited a few years ago.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 02:45:19 PM »
The one good thing about this site is there are still a few of us still around and remember the changes. That's where we try to help. Last year I was helping get the 444 car ready and noticed it still had the old steel bottle in it. As the car had set for a while he missed the ruling and bought all new fire bottles. I agree with Dan on the size of the rule book, can't keep every old rule  or change in it. The web site SCTA would take a lot of work to add it in. That's another reason SCTA has a rules and regulations spot on the web so people can direct their questions to the committees.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah