Author Topic: Another Studebaker build 61/53  (Read 6204 times)

Offline basher13

Another Studebaker build 61/53
« on: January 02, 2009, 12:18:57 AM »
Don't really know where to start, I have a lot of questions!
Starting a build with my dad on a Studebaker, the PO put a 53' frontend, trunk and taillights on a 61'. Other than the body line that runs to the door and turns down, it looks like a 53'. What class would this fall into, does the 53 nose on a 61 count as streamlining? Immediate plans for the car is full cage from Art Morrison, legal seat and harness, stock 289 with OD trans and to run at 130 club staying street legal. I want to build the car for a class and am not sure where it fits in.
Also interested in what suspension set up some of the older cars are running without "clipping" front or rear.
I'm starting to think part of landspeed racing is being able to "decode" the rule book, where is Smokey Yunich when you need him!  :cheers:
118.780mph in a stock(ish) Studebaker

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Another Studebaker build 61/53
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 11:36:53 AM »
Basher, good luck with the project.  Since you are putting in a cage, you could also run 150 club, so read those rules as well. 
Start a build diary, show us pictures, we want pictures.  Good thinking putting a 53 front on a 61 back, it will be much better than putting a Lark front on a 53 coupe back  :-D  Is the 61 a Hawk?
Welcome to LSR, rule decoding is how we keep the newbies from taking records away from old timers...  :roll:  easy guys, I'm kidding
Don't give up, you will get there.
See ya on the salt  8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline aircap

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 01:03:54 PM »
1961 was the last year for Studebaker Hawks with fins.
('56 was the first year)
And of course, '53's to '55's (Champions & Commanders) did not have fins.

And good luck with your build, by the way.
The folks over on http://racingstudebakers.com/stl-web/bulletin/bb/index.php  would like to help, or just be kept apprised of your project.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 01:10:01 PM by aircap »
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline will6er

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 06:41:21 PM »
aircap-

Here is a site that looks interesting.

http://www.studebakervendors.com/slickstreet.htm

Hope it helps

will6er

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 08:33:23 PM »
........... does the 53 nose on a 61 count as streamlining? .............

Unless you just want to run Competition Coupe with the car I would get a ruling on mixing a '53 nose with a '61 body.  Since you can do anything you want ahead of the cowl in Comp Coupe I don't see it being a problem there.

Good luck and if you want to check out Hooley's Stude that we run you can find it here........

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar/bonneville-Index.html

....... Item number 4 down the page,

Sum

Offline basher13

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 09:40:56 PM »
I'll for sure need to get a ruling from an official, besides the nose being of a differant year, the fins and stock tailights have been removed along with the trunk lid. All stock Stude stuff going back on just not the same year. Comp coupe won't allow quarter panel mods correct? I swear it looks like a 53!
The other thing is the 08 rule book, I don't have it in front of me but some of the classes I think it says 1982 to present instead of 1928, am I reading it wrong?

Aircap, cool site just what I needed! I'm gonna have to figure out exactly what motor, trans. and rearend I have. Already reading on the differant cams and head work that can be done.

Sumner, I've been all over Hooleys build and your site as well, you put a lot of work into both. Tons of great info.

I'll get a build diary and pics up soon,
Dan

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 09:45:35 PM »
Maybe Classic Comp Coupe?  do they have that?  My advice is get a rule book, read it 20 times, then figure out the class you think you are going to build for and read that part 20 more times.  Start your build with the rule book attached to your arm.  If you haven't attended a race, come out and see what everyone is doing, then integrate all the good ideas you saw.
Have fun, it will only seem like work for a couple of years, it becomes fun work after you run the first time.
Welcome to the addiction, see ya on the salt  8-)
Stainless

Offline basher13

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 10:55:19 PM »
Thanks Stainless, I've been to the salt 4 or 5 times but not in the last 5 years. Made the 50th, even out to ElMirage once. I've been sleeping with the rule book taped to my forehead hoping some of it will soak in! Actually I had to give it back to my dad last night, need to get my own for sure. Looking forward to being back on the salt and actually participating.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 10:35:02 AM »
I have an idea that if it looks correctly for a '53-'54 Stude and you don't get all involved in saying it's not, you will be all right. Your not gaining any areo advantage over other '53 Studes and so far no one has asked to see my registration.

Offline 38Chevy454

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 11:55:58 PM »
Stude rear quarter panels bolt on.  So you can put early style quarters on your car to make it really 53 style.  You said you were already changing the trunk lid to the 53 style.  Since the core body is the same, once you change the pieces that bolt on and make it a "53 Commander" I believe that is what you would meet for the rule book.  I have the same opinion as Rich.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.....

High Quality USA-made bear claw style latches CHEAP! Now including install kits also!
buy here directly:  www.hotrodlatches.com

Offline basher13

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 01:25:42 AM »
I appreciate all the replies, just want to play by the rules. I'm always reading about going though tech and some of the struggles folks have, so I'll build for classic and see what happens this year.
Dan

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 09:58:00 AM »
There is no "classic" comp coupe.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 10:45:49 PM »
we must need to add that for the older comp coupes....  :roll:
Stainless

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 11:23:10 PM »
no we don't. look at the record holders. most of them ARE classics or vintage bodies............that's why it was not put in when "classic" was added.................................. :-D
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Unkl Ian

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 12:20:13 AM »
If the body was altered to be an "exact replica" of a different year,

shouldn't it be allowed, the same as a fiberglass "replica" would be ?

I guess the answer is "a Secret" .