Author Topic: Last American team to hold the official ALSR Blue Flame Oct 23 1970 622.407mph  (Read 110526 times)

Offline interested bystander

Now that the JDFR duo has been temporarily silenced - it can now be shown what the guys at Lakehurst N.J have ready!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Robin UK

Now that the JDFR duo has been temporarily silenced - it can now be shown what the guys at Lakehurst N.J have ready!

Wow!!!  What's the story behind this then IB?

Cheers

Robin

Offline interested bystander

An old fuel altered driver, now a pilot sent me a website on abandoned and little known US airfields and this was in the historical section on Lakehurst Naval Air Station (remember the Hindenberg) in New Jersey, USA from the '80s or '90s.

Its one of FIVE tracks at the US Navy's test facility and the text said they launched things there to run into arresting gear or BARRICADES!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

black18

If the LNG was used in the actual record-setting performance but at a lower ratio of LNG to the hydrogen peroxide oxidizer than would be used at maximum design thrust it could not be made of problem.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 11:13:44 PM by Stainless1 »

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
If the LNG was used in the actual record-setting performance but at a lower ratio of LNG to the hydrogen peroxide oxidizer than would be used at maximum design thrust it could not be made of problem.
Scotsman Ice Machine

Och Laddy, tek yee friggin oice mecheene and shoov it oop ya kilt, dez nay bizniz for ye here.

Bashed neeps indeed.

git  ye  SPAMMERS.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Peter Jack

Couldn't have said it better myself Goggles. :-D

Pete

Blue

There's two things to remember about peroxide:

1. It's a monofuel: once it starts going off, it will self-catalyze and burn everything down.  I appreciate the theory, I've had peroxide go off in a clean container.  It's no fun.

2. Every single country and company that has had a rocket program reach orbit has used peroxide at one time or another.  NONE of them use it on their operational systems today.  Billions and billions of dollars, decades of experiments, and the worlds best rocket scientists, engineers, and technicians have all gone into trying peroxide.  Before anyone says it's a good idea, they need to look at why no professionals use it any more.

Offline N72727

Hi to all. I'm living in France and I'm interested in LSR cars since I saw an article in a magazine in 1971. A guy called Gary Gabelich ran over 1000 km/h in The Blue Flame rocket car. What is more incredible is that the same year, I saw The Blue Flame at an exhibition in my hometown. I was 15 years old and took only one photo. But many years later, I compared my photo with others and if you look closer, you can see that the different lettering on The Blue Flame are not the same and not in the same position. So, I think that the car in my hometown was not the real thing, but rather a promotional moke-up. Maybe somebody has more information? Where is this moke-up today? Destroyed? Or somewhere in storage? What do you think?

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Nice picture, welcome to our world.  I think they paint cars to look nice when they go on tour....  racing is really hard on paint...  :|
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline N72727

I'm sure, The Blue Flame that I saw in my hometown (I think in 1972) was not the real thing. If I remember well, there were no rivets on the fuselage. Again, look closer to the 3 photos:
The first one with Gary at Bonneville, 1971.
The second one in France, 1972.
The third one in Germany, where you can see The Blue Flame today.
Photos 1 and 3 have the same lettering and on the same place. In photo 2, the lettering is different.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
I'm sure, The Blue Flame that I saw in my hometown (I think in 1972) was not the real thing. If I remember well, there were no rivets on the fuselage. Again, look closer to the 3 photos:
The first one with Gary at Bonneville, 1971.
The second one in France, 1972.
The third one in Germany, where you can see The Blue Flame today.
Photos 1 and 3 have the same lettering and on the same place. In photo 2, the lettering is different.

OK, I know nothing about the Blue Flame, but I do know this,.....it really aint economical for someone to produce a "replica", however, when a team is running a car or bike they may well have enough parts to make several race vehicles, albeit without the full complement of safety gear or whatever it requires to pass ...."tech"........... they might have a couple of frames, a few engines, heaps of bodywork.........the fact of it is there is no benefit in anyone making "fake" versions........Stainless may be right , there may have been different paint versions or it may have been different arrangements of the bodywork....but whatever , it's doubtful there were "fakes"......my own experience at watching Brett de Stoop is  that he has enough stuff to make  bunch of "bikes" but there is only one" Brett de Stoop bike"............So I'd suggest, you saw the real thing.... just maybe not the arrangement they had on race day
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Peter Jack

When cars are being shown around the country they tend to get nicked up and are often repainted after a while to hide the travel weariness. The museum where the car now resides probably restored it to its original appearance before putting it on display.

Pete

Offline N72727

Thank you... But I really think you're wrong. Now look at the wheels...

Offline racefanwfo

• jenks worlds fastest pitbull
i have a question why is a piece of american land speed racing history doing in a german museum. the blue flame should be in the Smithsonian right next to big daddys swamp rat.
it is quite possable that a mock-up of the blue flame was built for car show duty.
The speed that you wish to achieve is only limited by the depth of your wallet.

Offline N72727

Part of the answer is in BlownAlcohol57tbird's post #36, page 3. The Blue Flame was owned by the Natural Gas Industries and they had no interest to keep it. So, the rocket car was sold.
I'm living about 2 hours driving from the museum. But like you, I think the German museum is not the right place. The Blue Flame should be in a museum in the U.S.A.
Again, I'm sure the thing that I saw in France in 1972 was NOT the real Blue Flame.