Author Topic: Roadsters  (Read 16153 times)

Offline krusty

Re: Roadsters
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2009, 08:42:34 AM »
"Put it in the book". This is what I thought when I found out about the list of dimensions. However, it sounds like they only have a list compiled for the '27 - what about all the other eligible bodies? Doesn't seem right to list measurements for only one or two styles, even if they are the most popular. I have no doubt that some competitors are pushing the limits of "exact replica" or even, perhaps ( :-o) modifying original metal to gain an aero advantage. Unfortunately, allowing diversity of body style makes rules enforcement more difficult, and allowing only rules-mandated  bodies would move us away from the grass-roots/everyman feeling of LSR. If you're concerned about what other competitors in your class are doing (moreso than being concerned about improving your own performance), do your homework, I guess. Otherwise, the rule book gets thicker, the volunteers get fed up, and the LSR community withers.     vic

Model T Steve

« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2009, 12:18:32 PM »
I have friends who have asked about body dimensions and been told "if they buy a fiberglass body from Company X it should be OK". Not the best answer unless we want to get into spec; one source bodies. We sure don't want to get like NASCAR with stacks of body templates! Maybe the roadster classes need to be broken down further with a chairman and a group leader for each of the 3 divisions- street roadster, roadster and modified roadster. I would volunteer to go around and measure all the roadster bodies next August; but I'm to busy keeping the outhouses spotless!

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2009, 12:21:50 PM »
and a fine job you do of it too!!  :-D

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

dwarner

« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2009, 12:29:37 PM »
This paragraph appears on page 50:

Maximum wheelbase is 190 in. Allowable minimum tread widths are 50 in. rear and 38 in. front. Allowable body width across the bottom of the doors shall meet the dimension as originally produced by the manufacturer. The entrant shall provide this dimension.

It would seem that when an entrant is researching the door measurement he/she could round up all other dimensions that may be required. This would be the best way to include all bodies which might be used to build a roadster.

DW

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2009, 12:42:57 PM »
I've read the rules, guess I just don't like the answer.  :-D

I'll ponder that to see if theres a better way.....  :evil:
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2009, 12:50:11 PM »
Mike:  I think you meant "Do Do bird".  More appropriate use of the "doo-doo" would be to reverse wording, so you're talking about "bird doo doo" -- and remember my job as the porta-potty guy (along with M T Steve, of course), and that's why I get to challenge your spelling here.  No sh*t. 

In his post, Dynoroom said:  "way of the Doo Doo bird."
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2009, 12:58:36 PM »
Thanks Slim, I need all the help I can get.   8-)
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

dwarner

« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2009, 01:55:10 PM »
"I've read the rules, guess I just don't like the answer."

Thanks Mike,

My work here is done.

DW

Offline DSR Bruts

• Salt Fever Reliever 1
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2009, 06:06:42 PM »
I talked to Russ about the '27 hood length.  The accepted hood length for '27's is 27", which answered my question and is what they have been going by.  Which is fine with me.  Other than the inspection for all things safety and mechanical plus any visable body modifications, I believe that our Street Roadster Class is self policing to keep everyone honest, with a protest being the main means of controlling modifications.  At that time, out comes the tape to make sure everything is as should be.

My body is an original steel body, unaltered, except I had to make the deck lid and the lower body panel, which are the correct dimensions because the sides of the body have to exactly meet the lower body "frame" that wraps around the back.  Doors are totally stock also, including the original latches.  As you can see by my picture, the rear fenders are totally original....rust and all.  I did remove the air vent in the cowl, and built my own dash plus a dozen hammer welded patch panels across the botom and on the quarters, but no change in the dimensions.

If I had to do it over again, I would evaluate building a 29 to 33 roadster.  I built a '29 highboy street rod several years ago.  Mike you might remember it (same orange, Jag rear, 351C).  Although a little less aero (and that could be debated), they allow more room for everything inside the body and under the hood plus a little longer wheelbase.  This is something new builders should take a look at. 

I like the Street Roadster Class because of the nostalgia look, the competition and the great group of competitors.  I also commend Russ for his work at trying to do his best to control the Roadster Category so everyone has fun and goes fast!
Bill and Ross Brutsman
778 D/STR
SDRC, BNI, SCTA, NSRA, SEMA
De Oppresso Liber

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2009, 07:11:51 PM »
Would the Roadster be more aero if you drove it backwards?

1 gear and rear steer ?  seems like it would
negate the aero advantage.

illegal anyway.

franey

haa. the jokes on me.

franey
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline GH

« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2009, 11:23:52 AM »
SSS, what are doing with that splitting maul out on the salt? Is that to split fire wood to keep you and Nancy warm????

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2009, 12:27:16 PM »
Maybe the roadster classes need to be broken down further with a chairman and a group leader for each of the 3 divisions- street roadster, roadster and modified roadster.

Model T Steve,

If it isn't broken don't try to fix it. Adding more Chairmen and Committees to police a non-existant (or minor) problem sounds like what the Government does to try to "help us".

What we need are simple well defined Classes. What we are getting is more and more Classes.

The whole LSR sport began with the "Street Roadster". It just so happens the the longest section of the Rule Book is for Street Roadsters.

Tom

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2009, 12:38:22 PM »
Good eyes, Gary.  The splitting maul is a functional part of the Potentate of Porta-Potties' staff position.  I inherited it from my predecessor, the Rt. Hon. J. D. Tone.  While the sharp edge half isn't necessary -- the other end is used to drive into the salt - the stakes that are used to hold the potties in place.

In the off-season the maul serves the splitting function for which it was designed, making big pieces of firewood into smaller ones.  I also manage to clean a good part of the corrosion off the maul when splitting maple.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2009, 12:55:37 PM »
Go easy Slim ... you at too light for heavy work..
Joe

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2009, 06:30:03 PM »
Joe -- If you've got the time -- I've got a nice stack of firewood out back, and you're welcome to visit and split and stack as much as you'd like.  I look at the job as pleasant exercise -- and since we heat primarily with propane, I can quit splitting whenever I've had enough for the day.  Thanks for thinking of me.  Maybe I should bring some firewood and the maul with me to Maxton next time?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com