Author Topic: Roadsters  (Read 16152 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Roadsters
« on: December 25, 2008, 10:03:29 PM »
I am sure that I have overlooked it but where in the rules does it address the wheelbase of Roadsters.  I found body length and rear axel set back and eng set back---but nothing on wheelbase or frt. axel placement---as MAYF says  inquiring minds need to know
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline wilcox garage

Re: Roadsters
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 10:42:18 PM »
modified roadster has a max wheelbase of 190" .A gas roadster has a min wheelbase of 100" for AA to XXO classes ,95" for F,XF,XO and V4 classes and 90" for G & H classes.
Mark Wilcox,
142 D/BSTR  record qualifier 2011 219.935
182 D/BGMMP record holder 2019 215.798

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 10:53:04 PM »
Thanks for you quick reply----But is there any limitation on max length?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2008, 11:27:38 PM »
IMO it depends on the body you are using and the allowable set back. 25% in a gas/fuel.

Aerodynamics plays a part in this as well. A 37 Ford roadster may have a pretty long base with the rear tire edge 1" past the body line and the front axle in front of the grille. You might get 140 or 150" out it but it would look a little weird.

There are 29' with the front axle infront of the grille shell and meeting the 25% rule............Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 09:52:52 AM »
Thanks JD,
I remember seeing the yellow and red coupe that runs that way but hadn't recalled seeing a roadster.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 10:01:38 AM »
The owners of the yellow and red coupe (BMR) have built a yellow and red roadster. You may remember it. It went 249 at El Mirage in C/FR. Same style front end.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 10:24:00 AM »
JD,,I for sure will go look at it..but didn't see it that week end--thank goodness I was busy else where!!!!!

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 10:43:19 AM »
Sparky, Are you building a roadster now? :-D  Hope these help, BMR roadster front end.:cheers:

Tony

« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 10:48:00 AM by maguromic »
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline RichFox

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2008, 10:46:22 AM »
I believe that the stretch Mod roadsters are mostly ugly and it's really hard to see the roadster in there. (See Hudson Boys) I sure hope the same thing doesn't happen to roadsters

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2008, 10:52:33 AM »
The Hudson Boys roadster is their old stream liner with a Bantom body mounted on the back. Its tough to blend those types of cars together.

Tony

« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 10:55:24 AM by maguromic »
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2008, 11:03:38 AM »
The Hudson Boys roadster is their old stream liner with a Bantom body mounted on the back. Its tough to blend those types of cars together.

Tony

Could that be Sparky's plan??

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline jdincau

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2008, 11:40:01 AM »
Sparky,
     What gets you in gas/fuel roadster is the maximum body length and 25% engine set back. At some point the engine is in front of the grille. Modified roadsters have a maximum wheelbase.
Jim in Palmdale
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2008, 11:40:52 AM »
Sparky, Are you building a roadster now? :-D  Hope these help, BMR roadster front end.:cheers:

Tony

This picture of their coupe...........

is on this page.................

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvilleother/page%206.html

............ of my site.

I'll be calling Sparky, congrats on the article in BRN,

Sum

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2008, 12:42:28 PM »
Street Roadsters do not have a maximum wheelbase, but are limited by the rules requiring only a 3" hood extension, 15% setback and a full radiator-filling radiator.

Someone mentioned a functioning radiator on another thread a week or so ago, but function is not required.  Some competitors do use them.

Stan Back
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2008, 12:57:18 PM »
Sparky,

As JD and Stan mentioned Body type and Class you run are the determining factors.

As another example, a '27 STR has a 27" hood. With the 3" extension and maximum 15% setback with a SBC you get a maximum wheelbase of 107". Engine type might add or loose a little based on where the #1 sparkplug is on the engine.

Tom