Author Topic: Old Bonneville Pictures  (Read 1316007 times)

Offline Stan Back

Re: Old Bonneville Pictures
« Reply #720 on: September 07, 2009, 03:03:39 PM »
Who's the #37 roadster?  Got a killer look.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #721 on: September 07, 2009, 03:38:49 PM »
I was only 20 yrs old when we made that trip and I never thought that one day I would be racing there. What I remember from then was staying at the KOA when it was on the north side of the freeway. A guy giving plane rides for $20 (it was my first time flying).A car had crashed but I don't remember who or what. Getting kick out of the Hideaway :-o.And some guy was doing electrical shows and experiments in one of the hangers.
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline Brian Westerdahl

« Reply #722 on: September 07, 2009, 04:24:00 PM »
That guy in the hanger was just like a mad scientist.  Had electric lightening zapping all around.  That was something else

Offline Wester

« Reply #723 on: September 08, 2009, 02:58:27 AM »
Also found this pic from the Winternationals sometime in the early 80's. Is it who I think it is?

Hasn't changed much has he!

Offline Freud

« Reply #724 on: September 08, 2009, 12:50:25 PM »
Lightening Man was a man unto himself. A past sheriff told me that he would drive around town scoping things out. If he saw something lying around, even in someone's yard, and it didn't get moved after a short time, he would load it up and take it to the hanger. When the people would report it missing, the sheriff would go see if LM had rescued it. If so, he would have to return it. They never treated it as a criminal case, just the actions of a "different" type fellow.
His girl friend was considerably older than was he and was the mother of a prominent speed equipment manufacturer.
I have no idea when he moved out of the hanger. He rented it and had connections that allowed him to purchase surplus military equipment for very low amounts of money. That's how he was able to pursue his dream of creating Ball Lightening. Ball Lightening was considered a threat to electronic equipment and it has been know to frequent military installations where there was the possibility of causing major damage. Apparently it is a ball of energy that moved randomly around in a room. So LM decided that if he could re-create it, he may figure out the natural source and eliminate the threat.
But he turned out to be the threat.
He did get excited during his presentations. I only attended one "showing." Jack knows the entire story.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline 754

« Reply #725 on: September 08, 2009, 12:54:54 PM »
Freud, got a pic of this fellow?

..reading about him reminded me of a Scrapyard, rather large one I saw near Ogden Utah, on the way backfrom BuB...

Offline DallasV

« Reply #726 on: September 08, 2009, 01:01:55 PM »
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #727 on: September 08, 2009, 01:11:42 PM »
Great link!   :cheers:  :cheers:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Freud

« Reply #728 on: September 08, 2009, 01:45:12 PM »
Thanks, Dallas.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #729 on: September 08, 2009, 03:59:37 PM »
When I went down there, I never took a camera. I didn't want to work while I was there.

Obviously, other people did fine with their shots, but I have no images of him.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #730 on: September 08, 2009, 04:26:09 PM »
Stan: I believe that #37 was the CLARK Cagle roadster. Can't remember what happened to it, but it looks a lot like the #299 of Ed Stucks. I'm sure someone will remember. I was there in 1980 with my 40 Chevrolet..........JD

PS: Anyone else remember the "orange" SCTA officers shirts? Whos car did they match? (mine is still in my closet)
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Freud

« Reply #731 on: September 08, 2009, 11:32:50 PM »
JD, I agree. As I recall that was Clark Cagle's car.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #732 on: September 26, 2009, 11:56:19 AM »
   While we were sitting in our pit spot at World of Speed this year there was a guy pitted next to us that we struck up a conversation with. He was running a silver 911 Porsche in the 150 club. He said that he was a downhill ski racer, and brought out a picture of himself in 1985. He had made an arrangement with Don Vesco to attach his skis on the streamliner and make a pass on the top of the car. He said he set a timed record [probably unofficial] of 161 MPH. He also said that the Vesco's have the same picture hanging in their shop. Has anybody else seen the picture, or heard of the feat? I asked him to post the picture here, but he probably forgot. Looked really strange and scarey.
Doug :-o
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #733 on: September 26, 2009, 12:32:41 PM »
We were there with the Danny Boy at the July tune-up meet. I believe he (and a girl also-she went faster) and the effort was sponsored by Salomon. Sport started in Europe, coming back from the resorts. Would just lock the skis on the racks and step in. Crazy huh. Rick built some new body pieces to put the guy on top. He also built a new tail section for the bicycle guy (I think it was John Howard) could set a record with a peddle bike. Great fun all.

Offline Black Rose Racing

« Reply #734 on: September 26, 2009, 01:11:59 PM »
We were there with the Danny Boy at the July tune-up meet. I believe he (and a girl also-she went faster) and the effort was sponsored by Salomon. Sport started in Europe, coming back from the resorts. Would just lock the skis on the racks and step in. Crazy huh. Rick built some new body pieces to put the guy on top. He also built a new tail section for the bicycle guy (I think it was John Howard) could set a record with a peddle bike. Great fun all.

I worked at Hooker headers in the late seventies and early eighties and Vescos liner was there frequently, one day I walked into the fiberglass shop and see the car with this large box/fairing on the back. In the back of the the box was a crossbar (Apparently for the bike guy to hold on to) with a short rope tied to it.

Next to the car was a funky looking bicycle with a HUGE front sprocket on it. I remember walking away thinking " Man, I hope that guy has a good set of leathers..."
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 01:27:51 PM by Black Rose Racing »