Author Topic: Old Bonneville Pictures  (Read 1315654 times)

Offline Freud

Re: Old Bonneville Pictures
« Reply #480 on: March 16, 2009, 01:25:20 AM »
I was on an assignment for a different magazine at Bonneville one year and Bob asked me to get a shot of him on a 750 Honda. I told him I'd do it if he didn't give me a credit line in the magazine. So he used the shot and he owed me.
Several years later at Daytona Bike Week, my credential was not confirmed. I talked my way into the pit area by leaving $8000 woth of camera gear with a gate guard. He gave me 15 minutes to get back, I found Bob and he had a spare credential available at the media center. We went, picked up the credential and I was covered. As we walked out the door, I looked at the pass. It was a low grade deal. I told him and we went back in and got the Full Meal Deal. The lady knew that my credential had not been ordered and when I came in with Braverman and scored, it washed her off the seat. Then when we returned and complained about the level of access, she really was miffed. The second pass was OK but the following year when I went in to pick up my credential she had to give it to me and before I left I asked her if there were any changes from the prior year. She snapped, "NO." So I walked away. 20 minutes later the Volusia County sheriff had me up against his car. I was in a place that was verbotten this year. They hauled me out side the stadium and dumped me off. My car and all of my extra gear was inside and I was outside.
I HAD TO RETURN to that same office. No relief in sight. Just then, Bill France came out of his office and walked into the room where I was sitting. I approached him and told him I had a problem. I really took a lot of crap but he reissued my credential because the gal had told me there were no changes and had not given me everything that was supposed to be in my credential pack.
I did a sigh of relief when I returned the next year and the Florida Social Butterfly was no longer the greeter in the credential room.
Braverman both got me out of and into trouble all at the same time but that one foto paid me a great return.

His wifes name was Barbara. She was a great lady and didn't lack courage to meet most any challenge. SHe was close to Don Vesco's wife, Norma and Susan McCarty. All of them left great contributions on the salt.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #481 on: March 16, 2009, 07:29:17 AM »
Very kool story, Freud.  Thanks for writing it up and posting it.  Glad the butterfly flew away.  :)

RtR

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #482 on: March 16, 2009, 10:53:37 AM »
they just replaced her with another bad attitude.... Daytona is the worst as far as friendly workers... always been that way and still is......
Kent

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #483 on: March 16, 2009, 11:54:29 AM »
Hmmm, think they'd hire me if I applied for the job?   :evil:  :roll:

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #484 on: March 16, 2009, 12:35:42 PM »
Naa, you smile too much and the wrong attitude for Daytona. :-D
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline triumphrpm

• New folks
« Reply #485 on: March 16, 2009, 12:56:45 PM »
All the photos are from 1970 Speedweek.  I do not know the bike in the first photo, second photo is easy, third photo is the Texas cigar fitted with a Triumph 3 cylinder motor ridden by the great Rusty Bradley that year. I was told it made a pass at over 210mph but had a electrical fire when he shut it off and they went on to concentrate on open bikes as Triumph was paying 1000 dollars a record that year.  Check out this story about Rusty, http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2003-Aug/e/n030808a.htm
I do not know the fourth bike but can tell you a funny story.
When I work for Jack Wilson we would screen Jacks phone calls. We would say " Jacks back on the mill, can I help you with something?" Sometimes the guy on the phone would say "Tell him it's Ajax." That meant it was Dennis Manning and we would put Jack on the phone. I ask Jack why he called Dennis Manning Ajax. Jack would then tell the story of how in 1970 at Bonneville he saw a streamliner named The Ajax Manning Special. Jack told Dennis when he saw he on the salt how nice his new bike was. Dennis told he that his bike was not on the salt yet, Jack said turn around ain't that it.  Dennis turned around and saw the bike in the last photo and got all mad. Of course Jack liked to get your goat as much as he liked going fast and  so Jack called Dennis Ajax from then on.
I did not know what the Ajax Manning Special looked like until Sam Wheeler was kind enough to let us copy his photos and thats when I saw this photo and had to laugh. If I am not mistaken that is the bike in the movie On any Sunday when they talk about someone taking a bomb and putting a motorcycle motor in it.
All these photos are from the Sam Wheeler collection. 

Offline Freud

« Reply #486 on: March 16, 2009, 01:17:07 PM »
Kent, I agree. I have been to Credentials ( Press Credentials) all over the world and Daytona was a place I approached with trepidation each time I attended. Cycle Magazine had a good reputation and frequently my credential came through them. I still was never confident when I walked into that office as to the outcome.
Those red neck sheriffs were vicious. I suppose it could be said that I incited an action or two on their part, but I never killed anyone. I was always ready to figure out a solution to a problem when I was there.

FREUD
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 01:19:56 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline Uncle Jimbo

« Reply #487 on: March 16, 2009, 10:31:35 PM »
The bike next to Sam Wheelers liner with the crisscross black striping - in reply 476 - is that by chance one of Warner Riley's Harley's ?
I seem to remember that crisscross striping was like a trade mark on his leathers later on, and is that Denis Manning in the middle of the two bikes ?
Just wondering -
Plus - this is one of the coolest threads I have spent time on at this site. Many thanks to all who have contributed their knowledge of this history of the salt.

Jimbo  :-D     :cheers:
From days of old, when knights were bold, and rode Iron Horses
24 Land Speed Records
M/PP 1350 AMA/BUB - M/CPG 1350 - M/CPF 1350 - LTA
M/PG 1650 - M/PF 1650 - AMA/BUB
A/PG 1650 - A/PF 1650 -  ECTA - LTA
Top speed to date 194.664

Offline Freud

« Reply #488 on: March 16, 2009, 11:14:17 PM »
That's the same paint scheme as when it was in the cover shot on CYCLE Magazine, December 1969 issue.

Some day I will find out the significance of that paint.

FREUD
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 12:00:18 AM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline 754

« Reply #489 on: March 17, 2009, 12:20:11 AM »
I was thinking that one was Warner Riley's as well. But it looked different a bit later.

I remember his column  in a bike mag, think it was BIG BIKE mag.

There was a pic of his  bike  on the wall in the office at Motel 6.. I said out loud to my brother, "I bet that bike is Warner Riley, sponsored by Lakeshore Harley Davidson".. and the woman at the desk looked up and said , "Yes, it is, he came here often"

Offline Freud

« Reply #490 on: March 17, 2009, 01:15:21 AM »
He may "came here often" but I gave them the foto.

Speed Week 2008

FREUD
Since '63

Offline octane

• Nimbus 750 APS-VBF
« Reply #491 on: March 17, 2009, 05:05:41 AM »
The bike next to Sam Wheelers liner with the crisscross black striping - in reply 476 - is that by chance one of Warner Riley's Harley's ?
I seem to remember that crisscross striping was like a trade mark on his leathers later on...
You're right.
Here he is , leathers and all:

I have the pic from an old Swedish motorcycle magazine.
The caption reads:
"..Warner Riley was for a long time test-rider at S&S
riding speed-records and doing over 200 mph
on the their stroked Sportster 1971..."
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 05:26:26 AM by octane »
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection
not when there is nothing left to add
but when there is nothing left to take away"

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #492 on: March 17, 2009, 09:34:08 AM »
  the smallest available sprocket for my rear wheel is 33 teeth. but,
only have enough motor to pull a 39t. (barely).

franey
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline Uncle Jimbo

« Reply #493 on: March 17, 2009, 10:55:33 PM »
Octane - Many thanks for bringing up that photo. Warner has been a total inspiration to me and our Gray Ghost Project. Would you please send me that photo in post 491 in jpeg so I can copy it since it cannot be downloaded or copied in that format.
Feud - you are totally correct as usual. We stayed there our first night in town last year since I like to get there early and help Delvene and crew get things set up. When my better half, wife Barbara, saw that picture behind the counter she says, hey jimbo - is that Warner - only took one look and I said - Yep - thats him, what a guy. She (the attendant at the counter) mentioned that somebody was there during speed week and gave them that picture- Thanks Freud ! You are a class act  Mr.  -   :cheers: 
I have been blessed with a chance of a lifetime with meeting, and a subsequent friendship with Warner since by a freak of nature,(thats another story in itself) and that happened by being at the BUB speed trials in 06 and him seeing my name in a magazine.
Bottom line is the history of Warner - Denis Manning - Carl Rayburn - Rivera - and the unsung hero of that record breaking H-D #1 liner John Yeats,
those guys are my inspiration to do better and go faster.
One story that can be related in detail later, is how they were in that welding shop in town and caught the place on fire, and barley got the liner and trailer out in time, put the fire out, but ran over the canopy while gettin the liner and trailer out.
John Yeats took the canopy out back at day break, dug a hole in the ground and started pounding on the canopy, along with the help of a telephone pole, managed to pound the canopy back to perfectly fit the liner again. Then go ahead and bust the existing record with a two way pass of 265 and change.  This stuff just drives me nuts - you guyz are too much - I love it !
Thanks for the great pictures and history of the salt.   - Octane - Please send that picture to me in jpeg -

Respectfully  -  Jimbo

From days of old, when knights were bold, and rode Iron Horses
24 Land Speed Records
M/PP 1350 AMA/BUB - M/CPG 1350 - M/CPF 1350 - LTA
M/PG 1650 - M/PF 1650 - AMA/BUB
A/PG 1650 - A/PF 1650 -  ECTA - LTA
Top speed to date 194.664

Offline 754

« Reply #494 on: March 18, 2009, 01:27:50 AM »
Jimbo, where were you pitted at Bub 08?

There was a White Buell near us, right beside that Westlake..
 They had some bad luck with the Buell, but I think they got er fixed. Cool engine in it.. numbers were Xd out, and it said Experimental engine , or Buell Experimental engine and mavbe racing only... anyway first time I saw that.