Author Topic: Old Bonneville Pictures  (Read 1315832 times)

Offline Freud

Re: Old Bonneville Pictures
« Reply #1440 on: November 28, 2010, 12:09:33 AM »
Changed my mind.

FREUD
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 12:14:08 AM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline jl222

« Reply #1441 on: November 28, 2010, 02:29:10 AM »
Changed my mind.

FREUD

With a clean one? :evil:

JL222

Offline fwillyj

« Reply #1442 on: November 28, 2010, 01:41:20 PM »
-For speed events during the month of September in 1976 the US government minted some special commemorative coins or medallions---and presented them to various winners of speed events held in Utah.

-This may have been originated somewhat by the annual Bonneville Speedweek events---may have been Gold, silver and bronze for 1st, 2nd and 3rd for other events like oval track and drag and road racing etc

-I'm wondering how many of these special commemorative medallion/coins were handed out at the 1976 speedweek event----if everyone who set any record got one---or if only the top speed of the meet was awarded one.

-would it be possible for someone who had that great honor to post a picture of both sides of their medallion--and maybe explain some about the experience.

-if there was indeed Gold, silver and bronze versions would someone care to post up photos of the silver and bronze medallions also.

-thanks

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #1443 on: November 28, 2010, 08:33:37 PM »
I set 2 records in 1976 X/Vintage Gas Altered and X/Vintage Fuel Coupe and the trophies had a 3/4 view of the 76 roadster of Sadd-Teague-Bentley in raised bronze. There were no medals that I ever saw or recieved

There was O of F classes back then.................JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #1444 on: November 28, 2010, 08:43:56 PM »
They made some poker chips for a couple of years. The State Line or at that time it was called the Wendover Nugget
made a set of 4, 1999 as I recall was the 1st set.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline fwillyj

« Reply #1445 on: November 28, 2010, 10:18:29 PM »
-thanks for the replies.

-But I am surprised.

-my story is that I owned an oval track limited modified car and we raced a two night event as separate class along with the sprint cars & supermodified at Bonneville raceway park 1/3 mile asphalt oval here in Salt lake City Ut.

-This was at a two day annual event called the Intermountain Championship and was won by Rod Furtado of San Jose in both 1975 and 1976--and was part of the August Speed festival, supposedly all major speed events within Utah during the month of August 1976 in which these bi-centennial medals were earned.

-there were 6 recipients of these medals at our race, Rod Furtado from San Jose, Alma Facer and Bill Madsen from SLC in the supermodified class---and Dave McCartney, Dave Fitzgerald and Chris Hendricks in the limited class.
---------------------------------------------------
-Dave McCartney was driving a car owned by me and Elmo Wilkerson and Dave got a gold medallion, I think it was one full ounce.

-when they presented the medallion to Dave the US Government officials explained to us the medallions had been inspired by the long time presence of the speed trials at Bonneville, and was part of USA's effort to commemorate America's 200th birthday.

-We all got to look at it briefly but me and Elmo and our crew all felt that Dave earned it so he got to keep it---and we never got any photos or ever saw it again.

-McCartney ended up moving away and later on became ill with lateral sclerosis and died some years later.
---------------------------------------------------------
-after all these years I began to wonder what it really looked like---and was sure these same medallions would have been awarded to Bonneville racers---so that's why I thought this thread about old Bonneville photos would be a perfect place to display photos of the medallions.

-thanks for the help, I appreciate your responses, I am stunned that Bonneville participants would not have been presented with any of these medallions.

-Bill Jones (fwillyj)

Offline dw230

« Reply #1446 on: November 29, 2010, 11:17:01 AM »
Bill,

If it was a government admisistered program are you surprised that Bonneville was left out?

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline fwillyj

« Reply #1447 on: November 29, 2010, 11:57:45 AM »
-Well Dan---during that era of my life I had never yet been to Bonneville---but even back then I knew Bonneville was the holy grail of going fast--and from the way the officials explained it all to us was that these extra medallions that we were awarded was something over and above what they were presenting at Bonneville.

-the entire deal was a neat surprise to us---the way I remember it was: after the races here were over some people with these commemorative medallions came by our pit areas and presented them to us and the other racers---and explained what I have been trying to convey here.

-Actually this presentation for the 3 of us in the limited modified class happened at some race later in August---Furtado, Facer and Madsen received theirs at the end of the August 6-7th race.

-Could be that after 34 years I have some of it remembered wrong.

-I apologize for stirring up an empty pot.

Offline dw230

« Reply #1448 on: November 29, 2010, 12:06:36 PM »
As JD mentioned, he did not recieve a medal for his records. I believe we also set 1 or 2 records with the Young Bros roadster and I do not remember any Olympic type medals.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline 36hplandspeedracer

• Age 70
« Reply #1449 on: December 01, 2010, 12:15:31 AM »
Dick Beith was the 1st VW to ever race the salt in 1960. Set a new record of 77 mph.

Burly

Offline mrweld

• New folks
  • Hot Rods and Bonneville Bikes - Beauty & Speed
« Reply #1450 on: December 03, 2010, 02:40:14 PM »
John Cramer at El Mirage early 50s. Car 342B. A 31 Chevy coupe with top cut off. Flat head. Might have Arden heads. License looks like 1949. These are all I THINKS. Some of you old farts add to this - I would love it. Bob
MR WELD HOT RODS & BIKES
Bob Biehler
5248 Johnson Point RD NE
Olympia WA 98516

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #1451 on: December 03, 2010, 05:35:36 PM »
From another old fart regarding the roadster, in the 1948 program it shows it entered in the B/roadster class, Johnny Cramer from the San Diego roadster club. Frame 32, 26T body,46 Merc @239 cu/in, milled,Thickstun manifold,Winfield cam Autolite ign.  Speed on 6-05-1948 was 102.04 MPH
 :cheers:

« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 08:21:37 PM by Glen »
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #1452 on: December 03, 2010, 06:53:23 PM »
I think Glen nailed it.  But the front end, with the parallel (sorta)semi-elipitic springs coulda been Chevy.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline jdincau

« Reply #1453 on: December 03, 2010, 06:55:35 PM »
The car in the picture is not a 26 T body.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #1454 on: December 03, 2010, 07:03:21 PM »
You're right!  But it's what SCTA now calls an "exact replica".
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records