Author Topic: Old Bonneville Pictures  (Read 1315895 times)

Offline Stan Back

Re: Old Bonneville Pictures
« Reply #1365 on: November 18, 2010, 11:56:09 AM »
I guess that's a presidential perogative.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline jl222

« Reply #1366 on: November 18, 2010, 01:20:24 PM »
Record still in book.
F/CGC   Clean Air Corvair   Tom Keosababian   08/74   173.090

Just a small correction here -- the record is in F/CBGC -- Classic Blown Gas Coupe.

The pic in the Turbochargers book has #145 F/SC ? whatever SC stood for in 1974.

The Clean Air was the propane it ran on.

Offline dw230

« Reply #1367 on: November 18, 2010, 01:49:51 PM »
Stan,

Ballots not in yet - Mickey Mouse could be a write in. Meg still has some money left, one tv ad and its over.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #1368 on: November 18, 2010, 02:01:48 PM »
DW, You have to use the correct name  "Mortimer Mouse" for the ballot to count, just ask McCowski.   :mrgreen:  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #1369 on: November 18, 2010, 02:38:20 PM »
In 1974 the classes were different. There were no gasoline classes for Streamliners, Lakesters, Comp Coupe, and Modified roadsters......They were real race cars and real race cars ran on fuel (or anything they wanted)

The addition of a supercharger of any kind bumped you 2 classes, so an "E" with a blower ran with a "C" naturally aspirated...Get it?

Now that you are confused the gas coupe had 2 separate classes supercharged and nonsupercharged: Thus C and SC . It was the only one that way, which is really what we have today.

Get this there was no penality in Streamliner for a blower...it was just inches...........Life was great, every one knew what a step pan was and the rulebook was real, real thin...Oh yeah my first year.......................JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #1370 on: November 18, 2010, 02:51:01 PM »
. . . and most of the Street Roadsters had doors.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Wildcat

• New folks
« Reply #1371 on: November 18, 2010, 09:21:41 PM »
I recently ran across some old photos of my dad's (Rex Wright) first trip to Bonneville in 1955.  He, along with Bud Schmitt, campaigned a 2-engine Harley in that event.  I ran across about 50 great shots of various cars and competitors. Also, some neat shots of 1955 Pikes Peak Race, as they caught it on they're way back to Indiana.  I guess Pikes Peak used to run later in the year around B'ville time....   I'll post a few - hope you enjoy.  The final shot is the 2-engine Harley and their pit area that year...for what it's worth, that's my dad with shirt off and back to us - he's 73 and still racing - went 225 mph in our Beretta a couple of years back. 

Does anyone know the history of the car #171 in the first photo?  It says Quincy Speed on the Hood.  The roadster to its side, and the Caddy push car, both say Verkel Bros.
C/GALT #1019 Wright & Wright  --  Cool Cars Built Wright  --  Doug Wright Racing & Promotions, Inc  -- www.wrightrace.com  -- doug@wrightrace.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #1372 on: November 18, 2010, 09:40:47 PM »
The 171 rear engine roadster was out of the Quincy speed shop in Santa Monica Calif. They were involved in lakes, Bonneville and drag racing. A top team in all venues. The roadster behind them is Yeakel
Bros. also involve in the above venues. Early class acts and fast cars. Will try to dig up some of their speeds in the next few days. BTW, I was there in 1953. Great memories.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 09:44:32 PM by Glen »
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Wildcat

• New folks
« Reply #1373 on: November 18, 2010, 09:46:34 PM »
Thanks, Glen - some speeds and info would be great.  I've got a lot of photos in this group and I'll post more as time permits.  Best of all, the photos are in outstanding condition.  Really appreciate the feedback.
C/GALT #1019 Wright & Wright  --  Cool Cars Built Wright  --  Doug Wright Racing & Promotions, Inc  -- www.wrightrace.com  -- doug@wrightrace.com

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #1374 on: November 18, 2010, 09:59:03 PM »
Glen (he's older) beat me to the Quincy and Yeakel machines revellation.

Am really impressed by the clean workmanship on the Quincy Automotive DMR.

They also sponsored a belly - tank lakester sometimes raced by Bob Brisette, in which Bobby Funk was killed from injuries suffered driving it circa 1962 @ El Mirage.

The Yeakel Cad and roadster from my recollection should have been more a milky purple color  in the photos. Maybe time has dulled the colors (like yrs trulys brain).

I'm guessing the great racer/businessman/SEMA founder Lou Baney was involved with the Yeakel entry.

Gotta LOVE the twin Harleys!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Wildcat

• New folks
« Reply #1375 on: November 18, 2010, 10:06:02 PM »
I don't know if we have any fading or not?  But, the Cadillac appears to be a match to the roadster - a machine gray car with white tonneau cover, while the Caddy appears to have same paint with white top and bottom.  The Caddy has same flames as the roadster on lower portion and their Yeakel team logo on the door.  I have a much larger pixel version I could send you via email if you'd like a closer look.  Yes, the Quncy car is beautiful.

Offline jl222

« Reply #1376 on: November 18, 2010, 10:07:10 PM »
  Where was the driver located in that roadster?

JL222

Offline Bville701

« Reply #1377 on: November 18, 2010, 10:18:44 PM »
The 171 rear engine roadster was out of the Quincy speed shop in Santa Monica Calif. They were involved in lakes, Bonneville and drag racing. A top team in all venues. The roadster behind them is Yeakel
Bros. also involve in the above venues. Early class acts and fast cars. Will try to dig up some of their speeds in the next few days. BTW, I was there in 1953. Great memories.

Glen, that's awesome!! I really need to get out there and see your history of dry lakes racing!!   :cheers:
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline Wildcat

• New folks
« Reply #1378 on: November 18, 2010, 10:25:59 PM »
While looking through - I found another photo of the Yeakel roadster - this time it's being pushed by a matching (paint) Ford Pick Up.  Also, you can see the LeBlanc Streamliner in the background.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #1379 on: November 18, 2010, 10:32:59 PM »
The Quincy roadster did not have a roll bar at that time, many didn't. He sat just forward of the tub area. The picture isn't very clear to show it.I show a record for the Quincy car at 204 mph, Haven't found the Yeakle runs in 54 or 55.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah