Author Topic: Old Bonneville Pictures  (Read 1315872 times)

Offline 36hplandspeedracer

• Age 70
Re: Old Bonneville Pictures
« Reply #1335 on: November 06, 2010, 08:33:51 PM »
strange, any info  :?

The picture is one of Washington University's "Viking" homebuilt vehicles built and raced under the direction of Dr. Mike Seal, whose classe's have produced a series of "Viking" projects over many decades. The silver one was powered by watercooled Volkswagen engines. The photo below is a Viking equipped with a VW Dasher Diesel engine.

Burly

Robin UK

« Reply #1336 on: November 08, 2010, 06:30:51 AM »

[/quote]

Robin, here is a photo I took of Ak's ACE at Bonneville. I think the year is 63 but it could be 62. As I remember, he was inspired by Shelby to create this Bonneville special.

Burly
[/quote]

Hi Burly

great pic and thanks so much. Seems like it was indeed 63. Managed to get hold of a letter from Ak saying that it was an old Sebring racer which he modified bit by bit until only the chassis tubes were AC. He then ditched the body for a Devin so the letter says. So if anybody out there has a Devin with two inch round main chassis tubes it could well be all that's left of a Sebring racer.

I'm told that Jack Lukfin helped Ak build the AC. Does JL use this forum or does anybody have contact details. Thanks again Burly.

Robin
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 06:32:37 AM by Robin UK »

Offline N72727

« Reply #1337 on: November 09, 2010, 09:11:38 AM »
Gary Gabelich - 1978.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #1338 on: November 09, 2010, 09:42:35 AM »
I can't remember how many times it took to get the picture without the chute upside down...They didn't do it in one take...........
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

• Age 70
« Reply #1339 on: November 09, 2010, 12:13:29 PM »
Does anyone remember Larry Taranov from Vancouver, British Columbia ? He visited in 63 with his Meteor. I would sure like to make contact with him if he is watching. Also Jim Seabridge of the old Stewart and Seabridge Wheelers team and Dick Zook.

Burly

• Age 70
« Reply #1340 on: November 11, 2010, 08:17:56 PM »
Can anyone identify this car ?  If so can you tell me the owner/driver, type of engine, year it ran and top speed ?

Thanx

Burly

Offline AJR192

« Reply #1341 on: November 11, 2010, 09:02:52 PM »
That car was sponsored by Motor Trend magazine and ran in about 1959-1960. I may be wrong but I think Don Francisco's name  is on the canopy in the picture I have of it.

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #1342 on: November 11, 2010, 10:26:27 PM »
strange, any info  :?

The picture is one of Washington University's "Viking" homebuilt vehicles built and raced under the direction of Dr. Mike Seal, whose classe's have produced a series of "Viking" projects over many decades. The silver one was powered by watercooled Volkswagen engines. The photo below is a Viking equipped with a VW Dasher Diesel engine.

Burly

Which one is this?  Looks somewhat like the Viking II but there is a picture of viking IV on the salt, but doesn't look to be it.
http://vri.etec.wwu.edu/cars.html

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #1343 on: November 11, 2010, 10:28:11 PM »
I can't remember how many times it took to get the picture without the chute upside down...They didn't do it in one take...........

Today it would only take one take and they would just photo shop it!

• Age 70
« Reply #1344 on: November 14, 2010, 11:29:33 PM »
Here are a few more pics from 62 & 63.

Enjoy............

Burly

• Age 70
« Reply #1345 on: November 14, 2010, 11:33:06 PM »
Summers Brothers polywog in blue and red in 62 and 63.
Burly

• Age 70
« Reply #1346 on: November 14, 2010, 11:44:54 PM »
In 65, we were rained out until Thursday. On Wedsneday for entertainment, my buddy Gary Edmon and I took our Vettes out into the puckerbushes (near todays Roads Bend !) and with timing stop watches borrowed from a Sports Car Graphic magazine writer on-site, put on a 'slalom' or gymkhana. The Alfa, Bugeye Sprite and the California hot rod were just some of the bored racers and spectators who joined us. I remember a silver Stingray coupe and a Falcon out dodging the sagebrush pylons as we all let off a little pent-up steam. I always wondered what these salt racers used for air cleaners in the dust ?

Of interest was the spectators hot rod as it was powered by a Ford Fairlane small block V8, quite unusual in the Chevy powered world of it's day. Does anyone recognize the particpants ?

Burly Burlile

• Age 70
« Reply #1347 on: November 15, 2010, 12:04:00 AM »
Ah memories............

The Patio Motel was home to many racers during Speedweek and repairs to race cars and engines were performed both outside and inside the rooms. What I like about this photo is the note painted on the trailer, 'Wells, or Bust' ! Wells was what is now called a 'tourist destination' for out of state travelers and references could be found scribed on race and push trucks as well.

Burly

Offline lvsalt

• http://www.dcwaterjet.com
« Reply #1348 on: November 15, 2010, 12:44:31 AM »
Nice photos Burly :cheers:
Gary Cole     DCWATERJET Z

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #1349 on: November 15, 2010, 11:31:48 AM »
Nice photos Burly :cheers:

Very nice...  8-)

In 65, we were rained out until Thursday. On Wedsneday for entertainment, my buddy Gary Edmon and I took our Vettes out into the puckerbushes (near todays Roads Bend !) and with timing stop watches borrowed from a Sports Car Graphic magazine writer on-site, put on a 'slalom' or gymkhana. The Alfa, Bugeye Sprite and the California hot rod were just some of the bored racers and spectators who joined us. I remember a silver Stingray coupe and a Falcon out dodging the sagebrush pylons as we all let off a little pent-up steam. I always wondered what these salt racers used for air cleaners in the dust ?

Of interest was the spectators hot rod as it was powered by a Ford Fairlane small block V8, quite unusual in the Chevy powered world of it's day. Does anyone recognize the particpants ?

Burly Burlile

Did anyone notice how solid the surface is? This was during a rain delay, near the bend... It looks like there is good salt out there with the puckerbushes...
All that salt is across the road   :|
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O