Author Topic: Old Bonneville Pictures  (Read 1316101 times)

Offline lvsalt

• http://www.dcwaterjet.com
Re: Old Bonneville Pictures
« Reply #1200 on: May 12, 2010, 12:05:17 AM »
 Greg, you are right about the yarn story also, I have an old magazine that describes it just like you have.
Gary Cole     DCWATERJET Z

Offline DrofRockology

• my blog
« Reply #1201 on: May 12, 2010, 12:07:46 AM »
335mph in 1969,  352mph in 1970

that's right.

was it one or two passes in 69?

i was at the 7-mile on the pass in 69 when noel blew a tire; that sucker i think i could see every side of it when it went by me at about 200 mph.  i'm sure jerry kugel got a really good look at it as it went by him parked just off of the course.

i think noel got it stopped around the 8-mile.
gregory w. gillette
aka: monty wolf (not monte wolfe)

"fear is never boring!"

read all about it: http://montywolf.blogspot.com/

Offline DrofRockology

• my blog
« Reply #1202 on: May 12, 2010, 12:08:57 AM »
Greg, you are right about the yarn story also, I have an old magazine that describes it just like you have.

that's too bad they never got that little bit of insight.
gregory w. gillette

"fear is never boring!"

Offline streamliner

• Gyronaut X-1: World's Fastest Motorcycle
« Reply #1203 on: May 13, 2010, 12:15:06 AM »
That’s some great history.  I am deeply moved at how these old photos come alive through the stories and recollections of you guys. Without you, these images may have been seen as just another old car photo – it’s your sharing your past that truly adds color and dimension to these pics…

As far as the following Gyronaut photo goes, I found some related pics shortly after I posted that changed my whole view of that photo…

I interpreted this photo wrong.  Apparently it wasn’t the Gyronaut spying on Burt Munro, it was the Gyronaut in awe of Munro.  Here’s Pete Politis (Gyronaut pit crew and Chrissie Tremulis’ brother), Munro, and Chrissie and then Alex Tremulis in Ventura at the Tremulis household. I had no idea that their mutual admiration at Bonneville had forged a friendship off the salt as well!

If ever there was a time to be a fly on the wall…

About the Burt Munro pic.....wow....memories…

...I STILL don't know if he was pulling my leg!  He certainly did (joshed me good) about some other stuff, and left me wondering for over 40 years.

Sometimes when two like things get together there’s a harmonic convergence that takes place that is bigger than either one individually.  Alex was also well-known for his practical jokes, which (thankfully) contributed to the end of his career at Ford in 1963.  Imagine being the victim of the combined wit and wisdom of these two – you’d be left wondering for over 80(+) years!!!

ps:  Munro was wearing the same shirt as in the following well-known photo (author unknown), which may help to date this visit:

Visit the Gyronaut X-1 Restoration and History Pages
World's Fastest Motorcycle from 1966 to 1970
www.gyronautx1.com

Offline DrofRockology

• my blog
« Reply #1204 on: May 13, 2010, 02:36:03 AM »
steve: i hope you realize the files, etc that you have is some very important history!

i can't wait to talk to you about what you have; i have an idea to give alex the notoriety he deserves outside of the automotive community that may interest you.
gregory w. gillette

"fear is never boring!"

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1205 on: May 13, 2010, 07:48:52 AM »
Wow, just ....wow.

Put 'em in a book....write stuff underneath them and sell them.... I don't think I'd be the only person who'd want one.....

The Pete, Chrissie, Alex and Burt shots are really really good, man , look at her face, ha ha , that tells ya something......she'd be wise to his charms ....he should have had a fence around him....if anyone has seen the doco that Roger Donaldson made in the 70's that comes with the DVD version of World's Fastest Indian they'll know the scene , the interviewer asks a woman , "hey, what do you think of Burt Monroe?", she laughs uproariously and says " Burt? he's a dirty old man, but he's nice with it"..... and true to it, everyone loved him.... he ran everything close to the edge. When my mum saw the film she said " I don't know that he was much of a family man" and I said "na,probably ,but he sure did make a lot of people happy"..... and there he is , and those people with him sure look happy....

Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline lvsalt

• http://www.dcwaterjet.com
« Reply #1206 on: May 13, 2010, 09:11:32 AM »
Great Pics Streamliner,keep them coming :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Gary Cole     DCWATERJET Z

Offline streamliner

« Reply #1207 on: May 14, 2010, 11:06:00 AM »
I need help with these... 

That's Alex Tremulis explaining something to Mickey Thompson just prior to a run, and then again in the pits.  I can't find anything on the Car #68, which looks to be a FWD modified roadster (or would this be considered a lakester?).  If these are in the right order, then the bucket of parts means the car didn't do what it was supposed to do.  If they're reversed, then what happened with this attempt after the car was fixed?  I presume Alex was doing another streamlining project with M/T for this car.  There are no credits or stamps on the backs of the photos...

Does anyone have any more info or photos on the car/project?  And that engine(s)??

www.gyronautx1.com

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #1208 on: May 14, 2010, 11:18:42 AM »
This looks like either one of his indy cars modified or the parts from one of his indy cars built into this lakester.  The engine looks like the 3-valve stock block SBC from 1963 that he had indy. Great pictures!!! Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline DrofRockology

• my blog
« Reply #1209 on: May 14, 2010, 12:07:24 PM »

more great pics, steve!

assuming that these pics were taken at the bonneville nationals, that car would be considered a lakester.

i don't believe that i have ever seen pics of this car in that configuration.

i agree that it does look quite similar to mickey's indy car.

i've long enjoyed this thread.  but, now that you're going through your uncle's photo collection i'm excited every time i see a new submission from yourself.

keep 'em comin', steve!
gregory w. gillette

"fear is never boring!"

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #1210 on: May 14, 2010, 12:19:35 PM »
I would venture to guess that this is Mickey's front wheel drive Indy car that ran with the 3 valve SMC engine. That would make it some where in the late 60s as Mickey, doing his usual, built both a front wheel drive and a rear wheel drive Indy car to see which was faster and as long as he was doing that he also developed a 3 valve, DOHC all alumimum small block Chevy for the engine. Talk about a lot of things to work on when you get to the Speedway!!

BTW if you want one of these engines Don Ferguson has several blocks and head sets in raw castings in his shop.

Those are some really great pictures!!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline streamliner

« Reply #1211 on: May 14, 2010, 12:34:08 PM »
Ahhhhh...  It sure does look like M/T's 1967 Indy 500 attempt (from www.thompson-motorsports.com/indy.html) that did not qualify.  

Even more things to work on: this car was also All-Wheel Steering!

I think Alex had heart surgery in 1967.  You can see the well-healed scar under his left arm.  So I think these indeed must be from 1969, give or take a year.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 12:43:49 PM by streamliner »
www.gyronautx1.com

Offline DrofRockology

• my blog
« Reply #1212 on: May 14, 2010, 12:51:37 PM »
I think these must be from 1969, give or take a year.

i'm just gonna toss out a guess of 68.  then again, mickey was contracted to ford and was running the 69 mustangs at the drags and on the b'ville 10-mile endurance oval (or was it still a circle then?) in 1968.

i'm also gonna guess that this was during a private date and not the nationals.

again: just guessing.

in some ways the lack of info on the pics - the mysteries of alex tremulis - adds to my pleasure in seeing what you've been sharing.  but, i can certainly see your frustration as you try to compile all of this.

but, as you said on the phone yesterday: it is a labor of love!

oh, yes!
gregory w. gillette

"fear is never boring!"

Offline Pat Kinne / Salt201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1213 on: May 15, 2010, 11:41:34 AM »
This is a from 1964 Speedweek - Pat

Offline Pat Kinne / Salt201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1214 on: May 15, 2010, 12:02:00 PM »
Don Johnson and Jeff Shipley's Fuel Lakester in 1963 - Don made the 2 Club with a 255.501 record. That's Past 2 Club President Roy Fjastads son Roy Jr. and Jeff sitting on the hood with my Pontic wagon behind.