Author Topic: Airplane Engine on a motorcycle?  (Read 2812 times)

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Re: Airplane Engine on a motorcycle?
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2022, 01:08:27 PM »
Check out this Youtube site if you want to see a motorcycle engine made from airplane parts. A 300 cu. in. vee twin made from the cylinder assemblies from a
P&W 1340 radial. This guy, Allen Millyard, builds some interesting motorcycles and engines with pretty low tech equipment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-Xr1bmbZ_s

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2022, 02:59:57 PM »
I remember reading about a guy down under that sawed two cylinders off a Merlin and made a bike that once a year he would go thru town at 200 mph!  :cheers:
I think the engine was just idling?  :-o

Regarding Speedy Babs - when I was in the US Army air farce we played war games in the Mojave desert. Saw lots of downed drones. I told one of the helicopter pilots about Speedy and he decided he needed a bike like that! He went out with a two seat chopper and picked one up. When you take off you drop the nose and that's when your drone engine falls out of the seat and into the rudder pedals. This is NOT a good thing! Somehow he managed to not crash and decided that Speedy was nuts and the engine is probably still out there on the old range!  :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline gowing

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2022, 07:11:05 PM »
At the last BMST,
there were a couple of guys making passes on an Artic Cat snowmobile powered bike.
They said the bike wasn't legal to run for a record in AMA but it is legal in the FIM.

IDK if this is 100% correct or not, but they seemed to know a lot more about the issue than I did and
they were making plans to return this year and run FIM.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 07:13:55 PM by gowing »

Offline deanroberts

• New folks
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2022, 03:09:37 PM »
I agree with salt27 above about Rule 7.J.12.  Under that rule I believe your engine WOULD qualify to run in the unlimited engine classes UG or UF, but you'd need to run it in frame class S (Streamliner) or in SCS (Sidecar Streamliner).  I think it MIGHT qualify to run in the pushrod engine classes PF, PG, PBF or PBG (which wouldn't be as restrictive regarding frame classes), but that depends on where the cam is located or on how long the pushrods are.  (see Rule 7.J.9)  The pushrod classes are the ONLY classes that use the broad term "motorcycle engine"; all the others define an engine more restrictively in ways that I think would exclude this engine.

Caveat:  I am neither an attorney nor an SCTA tech guy.  I try to read the rulebook as if I were, but there's no guarantee that what I think is true is in fact true.   :|  Good luck!

Dean

Offline edinlr

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2022, 12:30:46 PM »
While it is a novel idea to use an airplane motor, aren't most of them designed to run at a certain rpm range and engineered more for durability, rather than top performance?
Honda CX650 turbo, Kawasaki H2 Ninja, Kawasaki ZX750 turbo

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2022, 04:06:54 PM »
Ed, it did say it would rev to 10K... I think most airplane engines will go to 3500, but run most of their lives at 2450.... it's a prop thing....
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2022, 07:23:02 PM »
Bob....Careful with the "P" word.....😇
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2022, 07:54:04 PM »
Jer, I think I Probably Peed my Pants laughing!  lol8 lol8
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2022, 07:51:04 AM »
Frankly, I think it's a bad idea.  :dhorse:  :roll:
Wayno

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2022, 10:04:08 AM »
Just had to pitch that in Woody....
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline harky

• New folks
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2022, 04:00:46 AM »
The Co making these engines is less than 5 minutes from me , went and had a chat today , they make a lot of variants,  air cooled , water cooled , carbureted, injected , turbo ed .  they have orders for engines to fit VW COMBI s and VW beetles , some are in 356 Porsche s . the LS engine will be 2L and about 220hp NA, they intent to progress with other spec engines .   there was an injected engine with a single FBW throttle body on their dyno
have a look at their web sight ,   the staff history tells a story to the people there .
www.bespokeengineering.com
they have also made bodywork for some Aussi MPS bikes
cheers
harky
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 07:06:12 AM by harky »
old mechanic
getting slower , but still interested in anything that goes FAST

Offline harky

• New folks
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2022, 07:16:48 AM »
i should add , i have no commercial interest or association with this company,  what i wrote could be interpreted that i may  .      They are so close to where i live , i had to have a look
   harky
old mechanic
getting slower , but still interested in anything that goes FAST