Author Topic: BIG 'ol turbo! Plural.  (Read 1790 times)

McRat

BIG 'ol turbo! Plural.
« on: December 21, 2008, 11:48:37 AM »
We are getting ready to drag race "Casper" (our white diesel) again, so with the help of Pacific Performance, we decided to up the air going into the engine.  Last season, we ran a single Garrett GT42/45 hybrid at 45+ psi, but were smoking a bunch.  More air! :evil:

So we put twin compound turbochargers on Casper, a GT42 "little" charger (3.0 inducer) and a GT55 (3.6" inducer) to assist it.  While it should be capable of 120psig of boost, we are going to tune it for 75psig.  I feel bad for the poor little headgaskets, I doubt if they know they are doomed yet.  :|

Yes, I know I can't run the exhaust out the hood for LSR, but for the drags it will stop me from blinding the timing lights.  Estimated power should be over 1000rwhp in drag trim. :-o

Offline bvillercr

Re: BIG 'ol turbo! Plural.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 12:17:36 PM »
Nice, are you going to keep the set up for LSR?

McRat

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 12:22:58 PM »

Probably, depending on how it works at the strip and dyno.  I will dump the exhaust out the fender instead, and change to a water/air intercooler. 

But truth is, we melted the engine at far less than 800hp (I never "floored" it) and unless I can find a fix, the twins will have to be tuned down a bunch for LSR.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 02:13:53 PM »

Probably, depending on how it works at the strip and dyno.  I will dump the exhaust out the fender instead, and change to a water/air intercooler. 

But truth is, we melted the engine at far less than 800hp (I never "floored" it) and unless I can find a fix, the twins will have to be tuned down a bunch for LSR.

Dyno tune should be easy, put it to WOT for a minute or so, if it holds up it should be ready for the salt...  :|
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

McRat

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 06:39:27 PM »

Dyno tune should be easy, put it to WOT for a minute or so, if it holds up it should be ready for the salt...  :|

Yeah, that's how I tighten bolts also.  Tighten it until it snaps, then back off a quarter turn.  :-D