Author Topic: Thermo King Diesel LSR streamliner  (Read 21497 times)

Offline RichFox

Re: Thermo King Diesel LSR streamliner
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2008, 06:22:03 PM »
To the best of my memory the first Thermo King or Bill Snyder liner had a 6;71 in it. The last had a one cylinder Onan in it at first that didn't work well and then got a small 4 cylinder deisel. I think. This is just what I remember from looking at it in line. They set plenty of records. In '73 he went 236 in B/DS and 197.8 in C/DS. '74 G/DS-127.9   '79 F/DS 199.0      And the one with the Onan in '81 J/DS 116.5   Some years before that local hero Dana Fuller had an aluminum block 6:71 in Chet Hurberts old "Beast" liner and set the Desiel record but I don't know what it was.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 06:30:18 PM by RichFox »

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2008, 06:56:42 PM »
Thermo King

Anyone got info on this team and car and owner its diesel powered and not sure if it set an official LSR? All this Diesel Max UK stuff seams to over shadow there efforts
PM me.I know a lot of info.BTW,are you inquiring about the first or second 'liner?

Thanks so much

You got PM I am looking for info on the first picture streamliner driver, owner and the cars location today 

Offline RichFox

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2008, 09:10:18 PM »
Thinking about it I believe the Onan engine was replaced with a Yanmar to set the record.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2008, 09:30:08 PM »
Jim
There is a picture of Bill snyder on pg.67 of the 2008 Bonneville program in the 200 club section.
Hope it's the one you are looking  for.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2008, 10:07:24 PM »
Jim
There is a picture of Bill snyder on pg.67 of the 2008 Bonneville program in the 200 club section.
Hope it's the one you are looking  for.

Glen thank you

What is the best way to view that 2008 Bonneville Program? I appreciate all your help and Dave helping me through PM

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2008, 10:25:48 PM »
At the time I think their diesels were Mercedes. Later TK diesels in their refer units were Isuzu with TK name on them. Don't know if they ran Isusu in their liner. I was impressed that they had a semi trailer full of lathes, and equipment, etc for support. They definitely came prepared to race.

Ron Gibson, Omaha NE
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2008, 10:32:52 PM »
Jim
The 200 club pictures are in any of the Bonneville programs, do you have any. Let me know.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2008, 09:35:09 AM »
You are correct about the Mercedes diesels in use by TK. We used to be the Mercedes dealer in Billings at the time, and for some reason, I could buy parts for the 220D engines cheaper from the TK dealer at the time. I also had a guy that brought his wrecker that had a TK powered winch in for service work. I can also remember that a MB 220 diesel /w auto trans would stall against the chain cover of the hoist when trying to get it in position to raise it up unless you got a small run at it. Very gutless in stock form. Doug
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Howard

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2008, 11:04:59 AM »
 8-) Maybe I can help here a little. Barry Larson who ran on the salt for a few years is a good friend of Bill Snyder and worked on the car when it was running. Barry can be contacted at bl55303@aol. com.
Howard Nafzger

MNBL

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2008, 02:22:05 PM »
Bill Snyder is  still aronund  .    In  AZ        the  eng  in  the  little  streamliner  was  a  28 hp  Izusa  4  cly    twin  trubo  54  lb  boost      mersadies  mecanical   pump .....
  The  rear  end  was  from  a  endy  type  car   Colatie  trans axel  swing  ax  rear    volks  wagon  front   brakes  in  rear  only................I  think  Bill  said  one  year  they  made  19  runs  in  one  day.           I  had  the  car  in  my  shop  for  one  year  and  worked  on  it  for  3.......    MNBL

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2008, 02:23:54 PM »
The 70's were filled with fun on the salt...Some of the best were Bill and his very "young" wife yelling at each other in line.

Not to be a guy who noticed but she sure filled out a fire suit......... a white one piece with the top half tied around here waist, wearing a short tee-shirt underneath...Not that anyone noticed 8-).....JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline mdk59

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2009, 07:20:11 AM »
Hello,.
You can me assisted... I am looking for information on "The Thermo King Streamliner" for my next model. Would like to have photos and information about the car. . Thank you for any help you can give

marc

Marc

Offline RichFox

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2009, 07:34:56 AM »
As I remember there were more than one.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2009, 03:30:16 PM »
At the same time, too, I think, Rich.  Big and little.  The little is the one ressurected.  I don't know diesels, but the big one sounded like a Greyound bus.  When it started up I always said, "Now leaving on the course, the express Greyhound to Salt Lake City."  I was a lot funnier back then.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2009, 08:08:54 PM »
cant we post on another thread ... everytime this one comes up I see BlowBird identified as the original post'r...